Need To Chose Between RF-7II And III

miliellie111

On 1/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, Youthman said:

Yes I started with just the HK3490 receiver.  Adding the Acurus A200 wasn’t a night and day difference but it does provide more bottom end which is great because I don’t use a sub not to mention I don’t have to worry about the Acurus running out of gas when I’m pushing them hard.

so, Youthman - currently, I'm running 2x vertical CW's up front from my Integra AVR.  it probably won't happen any time in the near future, but I'm mulling over adding an external amp to add headroom, and hopefully a little more bass punch from my CW's.

based on your experience, and of course experience & opinions of any others who'd like to offer - would this idea deliver anything along the lines of what I'd like to accomplish?

thanks.

23 minutes ago, -js- said:

so, Youthman - currently, I'm running 2x vertical CW's up front from my Integra AVR.  it probably won't happen any time in the near future, but I'm mulling over adding an external amp to add headroom, and hopefully a little more bass punch from my CW's.

based on your experience, and of course experience & opinions of any others who'd like to offer - would this idea deliver anything along the lines of what I'd like to accomplish?

thanks.

Not Youthman but I will chime in.  My buddy had a pair of Cornwalls that he was driving with a Cambridge Audio 540A integrated amp(60w/ch) and though it sounded pretty darn good, it was missing a bit of low end grunt.  He added an Acurus A200(200w/ch) to the mix and those babies thumped like no tomorrow.  Fast, punchy, and tight.

Bill

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, willland said:

Not Youthman but I will chime in.  My buddy had a pair of Cornwalls that he was driving with a Cambridge Audio 540A integrated amp(60w/ch) and though it sounded pretty darn good, it was missing a bit of low end grunt.  He added an Acurus A200(200w/ch) to the mix and those babies thumped like no tomorrow.  Fast, punchy, and tight.

Bill

and Bill, since I'm gonna claim that I'm still new to all this B), Heritage speakers like these don't necessarily need all that power from the 2x200 to perform well.  high efficiency Klipsch do well at lower amp levels.  but, that would probably reduce the "effect", responsiveness or something like that.

am I correct?  thanks for your input Bill.

-John

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters Help me out if you would.  I hear great things about you and look forward to when you open your new location in Seattle.  Seriously, though, several people here have mentioned you and it has always been a glowing review.  

How would you describe the difference?  I am putting together an RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 setup, so keeping it all the same vintage seemed to make sense, but I am sure that I will change things soon enough.  I used to play in this area a decade ago, but I am not hopelessly out of touch.  I don't assume that newer means better, but sometimes it is. Any thoughts that you would care to offer would be greatly appreciated.  Matt Davis, Seattle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, -js- said:

and Bill, since I'm gonna claim that I'm still new to all this B), Heritage speakers like these don't necessarily need all that power from the 2x200 to perform well.  high efficiency Klipsch do well at lower amp levels.  but, that would probably reduce the "effect", responsiveness or something like that.

am I correct?  thanks for your input Bill.

-John

You are correct that Klipsch Heritage do not "need" high power to drive them but a non horn-loaded 15" woofer sure likes some good juice.:P

Bill

3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

How would you describe the difference? 

Original RF-7's had some kind of unnatural bump in the low treble that made them very fatiguing to listen to.  Tons of people were desperate enough to go for the resistor mod to try to tone it down.  

RF-7II's were an improvement on this but was still fairly bright and could still be pretty fatiguing with higher volumes over a long period of time.  The horn had this hot spot if pointed right at your head, midrange wasn't the most accurate, it was a cool speaker but still had some flaws.  

RF-7III cleaned up the midrange, imaging is way better, no hot spots, no harshness, fatigue is pretty much gone, it's just a significant upgrade.  Anything that could have annoyed somebody with the RF-7II's is now gone.  An all new compression driver was used and it's pretty magical.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters Thanks so much, that is really helpful information.  Mine will be used for dedicated home theater, and I am not sure if that will be an issue with that use.  Do you sell the resistor mod?  This really helped to put things in perspective.  

Contact @Deang for RF-7 mods.

1 hour ago, miliellie111 said:

Anyone with an Emotiva XPA-5 gen 1? What do you think to power rf7’s? Found one in mint condition for $600. Should I pull the trigger? I’ve read of noise issues.

Running a pair of the Gen. 1 XPA-5'S with my 7II's for roughly 6 years now. No hiss, hum, static. etc.... There have been some Klipsch users that have had noise but all good here. Never had them hooked up to an AVR, only a pre/pro.

I think 600.00 is a more than a fair price in great condition.

17 hours ago, miliellie111 said:

Anyone with an Emotiva XPA-5 gen 1? What do you think to power rf7’s? Found one in mint condition for $600. Should I pull the trigger? I’ve read of noise issues.

I had a hiss from my XPA-3 with my 7ii's hooked up to an avr.  Hiss and/or hum can be many things though.  For the price I think you could try it out and see for yourself, and if you are not happy sell and come out in decent shape.  Whenever I buy I try and wait for a good deal so if I don't like for whatever reason I can sell and ship for roughly around what I paid.  Doesn't always work that way though, but say I lose $30-50, I can at least take my personal "what if" out of my thought process.

18 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@dmb12679  I like your thinking. Have not started on it yet, but for $25, I am going to find out.

fwiw - I agree.  $25 invested for a possible tremendous return?  no brainer.  I'm not real handy nor experienced in such troubleshooting, repairs, etc.  but still - no brainer to me.

good luck.  hope it goes well.  keep us updated  B)