Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
miliellie111

Need To Chose Between RF-7II And III

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, moray james said:

do you know who does? I will modify my statement then to replace "Roy" with Klipsch. I believe it is a easily better loudspeaker or they would not release it. Would like to know who does the RF series design work. Thanks for this correction.

@MetropolisLakeOutfitters I think you've mentioned his name before...I cant remember it at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll add that the addition of the B&K amp into my system has brought better balance.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am actually surprised because I own the RF 7 II's and that are not what people are making them out to be.  It is almost an no engineering design was implemented in the previous version.  I can tell you one thing, I like the RF 7 II's and not looking for a more laid back sound.  I could just buy B&W or some other brand.  This would be a no brainier for me, Get teh RF 7 II's because it is not that great of a  difference from one generation to the next.  Klipsch can't give away it's entire future on one model, duh!

 

Will a new generation affect value, sure, just not enough to net some savings.  Get the setup right and you don't have to worry about brightness.  Doing the room right is a lot easier than changing amps, preamps, transport, ect.  Why try to support getting a good sound from a bad setup?  To be frank, if you own any of the RF 7 speakers, this may be the last speaker you need to purchase.  Let's go back to playing one vs another.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moray james said:

do you know who does? I will modify my statement then to replace "Roy" with Klipsch. I believe it is a easily better loudspeaker or they would not release it. Would like to know who does the RF series design work. Thanks for this correction.

His name is Chris, he works in Indy. He did the Palladium series also, among a bunch of other stuff. He's a good friend of mine, very modest guy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moray james said:

do you know who does? I will modify my statement then to replace "Roy" with Klipsch. I believe it is a easily better loudspeaker or they would not release it. Would like to know who does the RF series design work. Thanks for this correction.

I want to say "Chris."  In a previous post I also mistakenly credited Roy with the fabulous RF-7 III design and I was almost immediately slapped to the mat for the faux pas.  :rolleyes:

 

Don't make a mistake around this crowd!  :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am actually surprised because I own the RF 7 II's and that are not what people are making them out to be.  It is almost an no engineering design was implemented in the previous version.  I can tell you one thing, I like the RF 7 II's and not looking for a more laid back sound.  I could just buy B&W or some other brand.  This would be a no brainier for me, Get teh RF 7 II's because it is not that great of a  difference from one generation to the next.  Klipsch can't give away it's entire future on one model, duh!
 
Will a new generation affect value, sure, just not enough to net some savings.  Get the setup right and you don't have to worry about brightness.  Doing the room right is a lot easier than changing amps, preamps, transport, ect.  Why try to support getting a good sound from a bad setup?  To be frank, if you own any of the RF 7 speakers, this may be the last speaker you need to purchase.  Let's go back to playing one vs another.
 

The sound of the new reference series isn’t laid back, it’s just that the reference II series had a hot top end, whereas the new series is pretty much ruler flat across the entire frequency range. B&W’s have a colored sound due to a sloping response and a bumped up midbass, Klipsch Reference Premieres are very neutral sounding.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I want to say "Chris."  In a previous post I also mistakenly credited Roy with the fabulous RF-7 III design and I was almost immediately slapped to the mat for the faux pas.  :rolleyes:

 

Don't make a mistake around this crowd!  :lol:

Was it me that did this "slapping"? If I did I don't recall it that way.....sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be careful of a neuter  sound.  Klipsch was mad for a certain sound, live, accrated, constant directivity and emotion.  I am one of the first to say the engineering of the new speaker is great.  On a down to earth view, these massive leaps in technology still have to be compared to a gold standard.  The RF 7 series is legendary for Klipsch and to discount the older version is just poppycock.    They earned their reputation and status based off what they were, not trying to be something else.  I will not be getting rid of my RF 7 II's at a big cost difference for the RF 7 III.  The RF 7 II's are just a great pair of speakers to own, of course this is just MHO.

 

Speakers are like cars, they do a little upgrade, from one year to the next.  In audio, it takes about 5 or 6 upgrades to be significantly better.  Same in most electronics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, moray james said:

do you know who does? I will modify my statement then to replace "Roy" with Klipsch. I believe it is a easily better loudspeaker or they would not release it. Would like to know who does the RF series design work. Thanks for this correction.

 

The RF-7III was slightly more of a team effort.  An engineer named Chris something that starts with a P who I believe is from England did them for the most part, but then Rob Standley the VP as well as Kerry Geist the product manager helped tweak it.  It's primarily all Chris tho.  He is never on social media so nobody outside of Klipsch really knows who he is.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Be careful of a neuter  sound.  Klipsch was mad for a certain sound, live, accrated, constant directivity and emotion.  I am one of the first to say the engineering of the new speaker is great.  On a down to earth view, these massive leaps in technology still have to be compared to a gold standard.  The RF 7 series is legendary for Klipsch and to discount the older version is just poppycock.    They earned their reputation and status based off what they were, not trying to be something else.  I will not be getting rid of my RF 7 II's at a big cost difference for the RF 7 III.  The RF 7 II's are just a great pair of speakers to own, of course this is just MHO.

 

You really need to hear the new ones.  That's about all I'll say.  All the detail and excitement with none of the fatigue, which yes does exist with the mark 2 for most people.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

 

The RF-7III was slightly more of a team effort.  An engineer named Chris something that starts with a P who I believe is from England did them for the most part, but then Rob Standley the VP as well as Kerry Geist the product manager helped tweak it.  It's primarily all Chris tho.  He is never on social media so nobody outside of Klipsch really knows who he is.  

 

The Chris Perrins cited here I would assume - worked on the Palladiums and previously for KEF.

 

http://www.klipsch.com/news/engineers-behind-the-klipsch-palladium-series

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

 

The RF-7III was slightly more of a team effort.  An engineer named Chris something that starts with a P who I believe is from England did them for the most part, but then Rob Standley the VP as well as Kerry Geist the product manager helped tweak it.  It's primarily all Chris tho.  He is never on social media so nobody outside of Klipsch really knows who he is.  

Jay L (his screen name here) was on the team also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, adam2434 said:

 

The Chris Perrins cited here I would assume - worked on the Palladiums and previously for KEF.

 

http://www.klipsch.com/news/engineers-behind-the-klipsch-palladium-series

Yes, that's him, he's in the video also. He's been in a couple magazine articles about young up and coming engineers in the audio business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

 

You really need to hear the new ones.  That's about all I'll say.  All the detail and excitement with none of the fatigue, which yes does exist with the mark 2 for most people.  

I will certainly try to hear the new speakers.  The new horn and ports does make a significant design change.  I can listen to the RF 7 II's for hours and don't find them harsh or fatiguing.  The room they are in is treated and with the Pioneer  MCACC  correction, the sound is excellent.  Auddysee may not do as good a job.  You just don't know what someone will like.  I had the original RF 7 mod and reversed it.  So, I may like a little brighter speaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I ended up going with the RF7-II pacakge in cherry with the RC64-II, pair of RP-240s, and 1 R-115SW. Cherry RF7-II’s are pretty much gone but I found a dealer with a remaining pair who gave me everything for $3399 brand new A stock but without the Marantz SR7011, but I already have an SR 7010 in my living room powering my RP-280’s I could move to this system. Now I am saving $700 over the RF7-III package. Hope I made the right choice and will be happy. I just couldn’t get over the fact the II’s look better than the III’s with the all front wood veneer and the III’s look almost the same as my RP-280’s. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent deal.  You should feel good about your choice and be ecstatic with the sound performance.  I find most people that claim fatigue or excessive  brightness have Auddysee based systems.  They turn on auto EQ, use pure direct and other things.  You just don't see these problems on the the Pioneer forum of the same degree.  Matting  the speakers with the gear is a necessary thing.  Not saying Auddysee is bad but, when you have to cut off or not use certain features, the gear and speakers may not be in synergy.

 

Auddysee is consider a great or the best correction system with which speakers?  I am not bashing it but, you just don't hear the same thing from MCACC users.  I don't use direct or pure direct.  Good old stereo for 2 ch is enough.  I have tried them but, after hours of testing, it is not needed.  Good luck with the system and enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

Excellent deal.  You should feel good about your choice and be ecstatic with the sound performance.  I find most people that claim fatigue or excessive  brightness have Auddysee based systems.  They turn on auto EQ, use pure direct and other things.  You just don't see these problems on the the Pioneer forum of the same degree.  Matting  the speakers with the gear is a necessary thing.  Not saying Auddysee is bad but, when you have to cut off or not use certain features, the gear and speakers may not be in synergy.

 

Auddysee is consider a great or the best correction system with which speakers?  I am not bashing it but, you just don't hear the same thing from MCACC users.  I don't use direct or pure direct.  Good old stereo for 2 ch is enough.  I have tried them but, after hours of testing, it is not needed.  Good luck with the system and enjoy!

 

 

Thanks @derrickdj1 and to all who volunteered their opinions. I couldn’t lose with either package I chose but in the end, the money won out. Looking forward to getting everything set up and see if I experience any of the brightness others talk about. What some consider bright and harsh, others appreciate as detail. Hopefully the “warm” sound of a Marantz SR7010 matches well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! I've had my cherry 7II's for about 5 years now and have never thought of them as too harsh or too bright.  Have run them in a 5.2 , 9.2 and now in a 7.2 configuration calibrated with Audyssey XT32 room correction.....good stuff!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Excellent deal.  You should feel good about your choice and be ecstatic with the sound performance.  I find most people that claim fatigue or excessive  brightness have Auddysee based systems.  They turn on auto EQ, use pure direct and other things.  You just don't see these problems on the the Pioneer forum of the same degree.  Matting  the speakers with the gear is a necessary thing.  Not saying Auddysee is bad but, when you have to cut off or not use certain features, the gear and speakers may not be in synergy.

 

Auddysee is consider a great or the best correction system with which speakers?  I am not bashing it but, you just don't hear the same thing from MCACC users.  I don't use direct or pure direct.  Good old stereo for 2 ch is enough.  I have tried them but, after hours of testing, it is not needed.  Good luck with the system and enjoy!

 

Doesn't pure direct = no EQ  

I think Audyssey(Marantz SR6010) did an amazing job for my 7.2.  I love the sound for movies and DD content.  Keep in mind the version of audysey being used is a huge factor.  When I switched from my slightly older Denon to my current Marantz the sound and separation was on point.  Really the only thing that changed was the Audyssey.

 

I did not like it for 2.0 listening with my 7ii's, no matter what setting.  It didn't sound bad, but I just felt it was missing something.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...