12” vs 15”

miliellie111

The 15" is a big yes from me!   I just added a vintage Velodyne F-1500-R to my new RP-280F and it adds the lower octave to the towers nicely..... Doubles for the point one with SACDs and movies too..:emotion-21:

I would put it at the FRONT wall, not behind....  You will detect it when in the rear behind your seating position....

1 hour ago, miliellie111 said:

C5D343C8-8BB0-49CF-B1E9-120CBC7C1F34.thumb.jpeg.8c7510569886ef35bcbcdb895046883b.jpeg

No wires, no clutter.  Very clean front end!  :emotion-21:

A 15" sub behind the couch would help to fill out the room nicely.  When set up properly you won't even hear the sub directly, you'll just have more solid bass seemingly coming from the L/C/R, and more dynamics off the low end.  I have a DIY 15" sealed sub behind my couch.  Mine is against the wall and firing into the center of the room perpendicular to the speakers' orientation.

1 hour ago, Tigerman said:

The 15" is a big yes from me!   I just added a vintage Velodyne F-1500-R to my new RP-280F and it adds the lower octave to the towers nicely..... Doubles for the point one with SACDs and movies too..:emotion-21:

I would put it at the FRONT wall, not behind....  You will detect it when in the rear behind your seating position....

On that front wall, there will be no space for it because the RF'7s will go there. I'll post another pick of the room.

The 15 just digs significantly deeper than the 12.  You can make a 12 that makes it to 17 hz but the R-112SW isn't one of them.  The 15 is the only way to fly for home theater unless the footprint and budget are restrictive.  Outside of that there's no reason to not go with them.  

16 minutes ago, Youthman said:

The bigger the sub and the more you have, the less they have to work which yields a cleaner sound.  

My Crown amp has LEDs indicating output and the subs have some serious slam before the first light even illuminates.

• Moderators

Man I love helping people spend their money.  LOL.  Congrats.  I don't think you will regret at all going with a 15".  I went from a 10" to a 15" and every since then, I have always owned 15" subs.  Heard a Velodyne DD12 and wasn't impressed as much as my Velodyne HGS15