Internet slowing down on several sites

tigerwoodKhorns

Just wait until you decide to start streaming 4K content -- you'll be grateful for the bandwidth.

There is also an inherent QOS built in with the higher bandwidth options.

I'm paying $70 a month for what I have, which seems reasonable. $140 is thievery.

• Like 2

Ya, those are good numbers.

I'm getting ready to drop Directv -- we barely use it anymore. By default, I almost have to -- I have so many streaming services that it's getting really expensive!

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Access, and Apple Music. I'm really happy with all of these services.

• Like 1

I have never had luck with Chromecast..ever.

I have several Roku boxes / stick and 2 nVidia shields (why I bought the new Shield I don't know) the 'old' pro model is glaring at me as I type.
Original AppleTV gathering dust along with the original Fatboy PS3.

You guys are missing the point, this internet change is setting the consumer back but, maybe the tax cuts will give you extra money pay to some internet services.:blink:  I remember the old days when there were multiple tiers of service.  The government has a lot more important things to do than be involved in  internet pricing.  

• Moderators
On 12/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, jimjimbo said:

That's true, but no one thought to put limits on it before then.....another example of Big Brother sticking their nose in where it doesn't belong.

Wait, wait, wait.  I am trying to figure this issue out and I am trying to understand this issue.

JimJim, up until change this week, an internet service provider (Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T, Google Fiber) could not throttle selected services.

For example,.Comcast could not throttle down Netflix in an effort to promote their streaming services.  After this change in policy Comcast can now throttle back Netflix, or other streaming services (i.e., they don't have to be neutral).

Netflix has vowed, and can afford, to fight that all the way to SCOTUS.  (They have almost 2 billion in cash on hand, even after paying off a ton of debt).

But as far as what an individual gets in terms of speed, that is a matter of what service and speed you choose to purchase, correct?

If you are not getting the speeds you paid for from your provider, Google Megabit, Uverse megabit, 100 mips, whatever, you complain to them and come out and get you where you are supposed to be, or you switch or cancel.

I'm currently getting better than advertised speeds with Uverse.  That isn't going to slow down as far as I can tell.

The articles I have read on who is going to be impacted are streaming services.  They can slow down Netflix when they need too in order to give preference to their streaming services.

10 hours ago, T2K said:

I've noticed the dial on my rotary phone seems to spin slower now than it did in 1969. Has anyone else had this problem?

Keith

Your rotary phone was designed to last about 300 years and guaranteed for everything.

JJK