Finally got my RP280f

PoorAudiophile

Finally got my RP280f though haven’t had time to play with them yet. Just a quick set up to test. Definitely sound a bit better after a slight burn in. Though I feel I will need to get a proper stereo amp for them in the new year when I have more money. My Marantz receiver powers them ok but I feel it lacks the dynamics, especially for the low end?

8a486015a2e3bf9629b0bc2af329a6b5.jpg

Now I have two or so months of research figuring out which amp to buy [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You'll have a lot more bass moving them closer to the wall behind them.  Rear ported speakers need a wall behind them for the bass to come alive.

Good starting point is to measure the diameter of the ports and place the speakers that far from the rear wall.  So if you have two four inch ports start by placing the speakers eight inches from the back wall.

• Like 2

Enjoy!  I've had mine (cherry finish / 2 channel set up) for a couple of years now and love 'em!  I'm running mine off of a Yamaha A-S500 and it has no problem pushing them.  Let us know what amp you decided on.

What wps is your amp? Yea my receiver drives them well but I feel it doesn’t cope when there is a lot of low end in music. I only really care about stereo music anyhow. But I have minimal reference point since this only me second foray into speakers. First were a pair of B&W 685 S2 but those were bookshelves and sound a bit bland. My only other reference point are decent earphones/headphones (Hifiman 400i and audeze isine20). So I’m not sure what level of dynamics I can or should expect.

• Like 1

You will love the sound. Tweeters are right at your face from a seated position and very clear. Always said they needed l pads for mids and high adjustments for my room. Using schiit loki for that reason has helped a ton.  Bumped up bass at 20hz and 400 hz a fuzz and 2000hz and 8000 down a fuzz and I can't tell you how happy I am. I have the cherry also. Listening to fandango by ZZ right now on the 280s and it sounds like they stopped by. Im happy for you getting your new speakers. I got mine last year at this time. Im using the emotiva pt-100 pre and a-300 amp. For the money its very nice,  Its all I need for these 50 plus year old ears. 150 watts per ch is a great match for these speakers but they will rock for sure with much less. Peace!  

6 hours ago, PoorAudiophile said:

What wps is your amp? Yea my receiver drives them well but I feel it doesn’t cope when there is a lot of low end in music. I only really care about stereo music anyhow. But I have minimal reference point since this only me second foray into speakers. First were a pair of B&W 685 S2 but those were bookshelves and sound a bit bland. My only other reference point are decent earphones/headphones (Hifiman 400i and audeze isine20). So I’m not sure what level of dynamics I can or should expect.

85w per channel at 8 ohms.  I wanted an integrated amp instead of a receiver (especially for the THD), and this one was about the top of the price range that I wanted to go.  I listen to everything from classical to classic rock.  I've driven 'em pretty good, but not to the point that the paint is peeling, and so far, no issues at all with the amp.  Doesn't even seem to head up that much, just gets a bit warm.

When I purchased the amp, I was a bit concerned about whether or not it would drive the speakers, but I asked a lot of questions, and all answers came back that it would be fine, no problems.  They were right.

I will say this, if you are listen to music with a LOT of bass, this amp might not be for you.  It's one of their "natural series" amps, and tends to be pretty neutral.  Of course, that's why you have tone controls!

Good luck with your search. 

• Like 1

Yea I plan to move them to the TV but didn’t have enough time before I had to hit the road for a wedding haha. I shifted them a bit and the bass definitely became a bit smoother and pronounced. So far I’m definitely happy with them. Though I don’t know if it’s because I’m bias but they are sounding better and better after some more hours on them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoorAudiophile said:

Yea I plan to move them to the TV but didn’t have enough time before I had to hit the road for a wedding haha. I shifted them a bit and the bass definitely became a bit smoother and pronounced. So far I’m definitely happy with them. Though I don’t know if it’s because I’m bias but they are sounding better and better after some more hours on them.

They will loosen up and mellow out with time.