Earphone Advice

JohnA

I have several earphones and one set is an inexpensive pair of Klipsch.  They were a gift and I can't find a model number.  They are plastic, painted metallic red and are ~5 years old.  

They are clear, voices are outstanding, but bass output is poor, but present and the treble is hot.  What are they and how do they compare to current offerings?

I have a pair of Grado SR60is I like, but they are pretty bulky and hard to take on an airplane, in particular. 

I've found some leftover XR8is.  Do they sound balanced, or boomy like a juke box (I hate that).  I like the description of the X6i having razor flat response, but the reviews online are not that complementary.  Since no store allows the audition of in-ear phones, I'm guessing as to what I might like. 

My budget is under $200.  I don't listen to earphones/headphones much, so it's not worth $$$. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a pair of Massdrop Hifiman HE4XX planar magnetic headphones for $169. I have nothing but gym-duty earbuds for reference but these things sound very very good. They seem to do good with a computer/phone/tablet, but really wake up when plugged in to my McIntosh C2500's headphone jack. 

edit: They are big though, not ideal for traveling.

Just bought my first quality in-earphones. 
Never heard of the company but being based
in San Diego thought I'd give my neighbor down south a try. 
What I've learned in researching earphones is the difference in quality as you move up from $10>$100 pair. Namely it's the amount of drivers that are involved creating the earphones. Cheap ones use one driver for highs, mids and bass and cheap magnets. Quality ones use a driver for each audio spectrum and in theory sounds better with the accompanying crossover network to drive them. 
This company claims they used an audio engineer to balance these which I'm grateful for. Also these are THX certified. Now I know what you're thinking. If the source is an mp3 or cell phone then it shouldn't matter. To me coming from $14 headphones I *think* it will make a difference and past this price point it's a law of diminishing returns due to source and surroundings. I mean if you're in a subway, crowded public transportation type environment makes little sense to get $1000 earphones. For my morning walk I think these will do. I also added foam ear pads as I've read they seal better giving better sound and comfort.

imageService.jpeg

I use x11s quite a bit. They don't sound the best, but they are the most comfortable IEM I've ever used. The x20i, which costs almost five times more, definitely sound better -- but the slightly larger body lowers the comfort level by a surprising degree. I can keep x11s in my ears almost all day.

I stumbled on a deal for X11's just before Christmas and have used them for several days. Schu is right about the bass being lite but they do sound good and balanced - better than my R6's. They are lighter and easier to wear than any others I have tried. A bargain at the price I paid.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 8:29 AM, Deang said:

I use x11s quite a bit. They don't sound the best, but they are the most comfortable IEM I've ever used.

After having a chance to use the X11's I really have to agree again - these are the most comfortable I have ever worn. As a bonus they reproduce many different kinds of music with good balanced tone and dynamics, a thumbs up recommendation from me. I wish I had gotten another pair.

• Like 1

My X11s are not light on bass IF you get the things sealed in your ears.  Several times I swore I could feel the bass in my chest listening to Boney James. 

I like 'em and I have been able to set the EQ in my Sansa to flat. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, I'm in Cap Haitian laying in my bed listening to my X11s.  Playing the Doobie Bros and they sound great!  That seal is still an issuemaybe I'll  have to larger ear seals when I vet home.  I'm very happy with them and consider it $80 well spent.  Bass guitars are well defined and articulate (I'm a very a mature bass player).  Close mic'd  coals are obviously that.  cymbals are sweet and shimmery.  Drum impacts are sharp.  If they have an issue, I'd say strings are too distant.  But these are MP3s  after all. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I switched to the larger tips in my X11i’s and they seal great!  My wife uses a pair as well and she loves them too. They really are one of the most comfortable in-ear headphones I’ve ever used. 

I feel like the bass is solid and realistic, but it depends completely on the seal you achieve. 

• 6 months later...