Any plans for a Klipsch Pilgrimage in 2018. I was one of the original attendees in 2001. It was a wonderful experience. I am sorry a missed the last gathering. I surely would have attended if I had known. I have signed back on to the forum with a new ID. It has been awhile since I have been a participant, so it is understandable that my User ID has been deactivated. I am remain the proud owner of a pair of vintage Heresys. 

Bill James

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking John Allen has a business relationship with Klipsch and builds, or did build, his designs under license from Klipsch? I thought I heard this in Hope where I saw JA, and listened to one of his superb recordings in the sound room, where it appeared he was more than welcome. 

• Moderators
4 hours ago, richieb said:

Am I wrong in thinking John Allen has a business relationship with Klipsch and builds, or did build, his designs under license from Klipsch? I thought I heard this in Hope where I saw JA, and listened to one of his superb recordings in the sound room, where it appeared he was more than welcome. 

A business relationship, for many, many, years.  

From an article John Allen wrote after PWK's passing:

"Many who have written about Paul Klipsch’s life have noted that he inspired numerous careers in audio. This is certainly true. My own career in a prime example. The first time I heard a Klipschorn in the home of my next door neighbor, I knew I had heard something extraordinary. What I didn’t know is that my life would be changed forever. It was another few years before I could save enough for my own Klipschorns, but once I had them, I could actually listen to music with the kind of satisfaction otherwise found only in a live setting. Later, with Paul’s help, guidance and especially his speaker systems, I was able to bring this kind of quality to symphony and ballet performances where sound reinforcement was required. Then in 1979, I founded my present company and began my career in motion picture sound, including writing for BOXOFFICE magazine. Since then my work has taken me completely around the world while accumulating over 1.2 million miles. Without Klipsch’s loudspeakers, I never would have bothered to do any of this, as nothing else would have or could have inspired me so. Though widely known for his brilliance and sense of humor, to my surprise, Paul was also a controversial figure. There have been audio engineers who have strongly disputed Klipsch’s design approaches as well as his published writings. However, as far as I know, none of the dissenters has produced a superior loudspeaker, let alone one that has stood the test of time for 60 years and counting. Not many know this, but it is hard to find a loudspeaker behind a movie screen that does not employ design features that were either invented by Paul Klipsch or enhanced by him. His patented K-5 treble horn of 1951 has been widely copied in one way or another. It was the first of what became known as the constant directivity horn. Some thirty years later, these horns became widely used in movie theatres, while Klipsch had already completed two more product design generations. In 1982, he designed a tweeter for my sound systems that compensated for the coverage angle distortions caused by movie screens. It wasn’t for another seventeen years that other manufacturers followed suit."

• Moderators
8 hours ago, USNRET said:

Dates?

We do have a tentative date and I will  be confirming the date with Rodney this week. 

Rodney had unexpected triple heart bypass surgery last week. He is now home and well on the road to recovery. I just didn’t think it appropriate to confirm the dates with him until he’s a little more “on his feet”!

It’s looking the second weekend in May. Stay tuned. 

On 12/20/2017 at 6:26 AM, dtel's wife said:

Rodney had unexpected triple heart bypass surgery last week. He is now home and well on the road to recovery. I just didn’t think it appropriate to confirm the dates with him until he’s a little more “on his feet”!

Best wishes to Rodney for a quick and full recovery.