Settled on noice cancelling headphones

Rxonmymind

On my Christmas wish list #1 on the list was the Klipsch HP-3's. Nope. "But..but"..nope. :(

Then was the Master & Dynamics. But based on various reviews,  emails don't go answered when there's a problem with a $550 pair of cans. Some had to resort to posting a YouTube video. That's a killer for me. Period. 

Finally after searching till my head felt like exploding I think I settled on a solid choice and received a early Christmas present today.

Sennheiser pxc 550. Couple things that stands out. It has Bluetooth and hard wire options. It's ability to pair to two devices is a winner.  I'm a hardwired kinda guy which is perfect for my Droid turbo 2. My wife has the iPhone (7?)  w/o a headphone jack which she had zero problems pairing and with the second pairing my daughter can use it for her tv upstairs in the loft while I listen to my Bell's downstairs.  In essence it's a 3 in 1 device. 

I also appreciate Sennheiser app they call "Captunes" which they made for both Apple & Android. This allowed my wife and I to dial in the equalizer to our liking on our respective phones. I haven't tried it's active noise cancelling feature which can be turned off manually whilst listening to music. Sweet.

Add to that a monster 30 HOUR wireless run time it's truly a winner. 

Most importantly the sound. Very good and easily tweaked via the Sennheiser app. Volume can be adjusted via the "touch pad" on the right side of the headphones. Swipe up or down to adjust volume. Swipe forward or back to skip the music or go back to to it. Tap once to pause the music. Beautiful as I can imagine while working out this won't slow me down. 

Fit & finish is decent but nothing impressive. Lot's of plastic to keep the weight down to a lite 8 oz. Pretty respectable. I also have a big head which allowed me to easily adjust it accordingly. 

That's it. My first pair of headphones that aren't $20. 

While not a true audiophile headphone one day I'll own a pair of Klipsch HP-3's or the like for in house listening. Those are just sweet. 

Thanks for the read.

IMG_20171216_215316.jpg

6 hours ago, Rxonmymind said:

Finally after searching till my head felt like exploding...(snip!)

That's me with everything!  I can't even buy a loaf of bread at the store without looking at, at least six loaves to make sure I'm getting the best sale price and latest expiration date.

Congrats on the Christmas present to yourself.  You deserve it.  :emotion-21:  B)

• Haha 1

Just tried it while using the ultra high powered leaf blower. It went from a howling scream to the lowest cool setting on a blow drier. VERY impressive. I'd say it cut the noise down by 90%. 

Went for a my morning walk while it was still a cool 58°. It was shorts and t-shirts kinda walk but keep in mind my body runs on the warmer side of neutral. Once I get going I have no need for sweats or cover. Having said that my ears were a tiny bit warm inside the ear cups but we're quickly out weighed by the musicality of the headphones. No ear fatigue after an hour and a half walk. Sweet! 

(Different story on a light jog. They became to hot to wear.)

The ultimate cherry on top was the convenience of using the ear pads to swipe to the next/repeat song or adjust the volume instantly as some songs are louder than others. Much better than having to reach into my pocket and grab my phone and fiddle with those adjustments. 

I did find that while wired certain features didn't work on the ear touch pad such as forwarding or going backwards on tracks. Pause button did. Weird.

Also there was the occasional "blow in your ear" effect from the wind going over the headphones which doesn't happen with in ear types. It was temporary but still there. 

So for those who want to save what hearing they have be it working in a wood shop or a noisy environment I'd highly recommend these as you can clearly hear the music while noise cancellation is working to muffle the outside sound. 

On 12/21/2017 at 12:37 AM, woralph said:

Cool headphone. The battery life is quite impressive.

Indeed they are. Tomorrow will be a week that I've had him in between my wife and I using them they're still 3/4 charged.
Also impressive was the range these have. Setting my phone down in the kitchen I walked down the hallway around the corner turn left around another corner to my laundry room just short one door from the garage and the music didn't cut out once. That's approximately 25' two corners and walls in between.

• 10 months later...