What would do...

Schu

I want some opinions from folks that might have gone down the path...

If you had the choice... would you:

A: get Jubilees

B: get Klipschorns with enclosed backs

I think I can guess what the ultimate choice would be, Jubilees. My problem is I don't want an active system right now because of additional complexity and additional equipment needed to implement a new speaker. If the Jubilees had a passive option, the choice would be simple.

I can get a pair of FACTORY enclosed backed Klipschorns for a very very good price right now... but it's almost as much as a brand new pair of Jubilees.

Lets say the jubilees are $100, I can get these particular Klipschorns for $80... (Jubiless are another 20%) and that is pretty close in price to me.

would you save up the additional $20 and get jubilees, or would you take a great great deal on VERY LIMITED factory sealed Klipshorns?

I need to add... I am EXTREMELY HAPPY right now with my La Scalas. They sound quite spectacular in my listening space (25x40).

the Klipschorn is really just about the same speaker plus some low frequency addition, but some additional timing issues because of the horn length.

I am also somewhat afraid that Jubilees might just be overkill for my listening space because I rarely listen to any music or movie much above 90-95db.

I'd get the Jubilees. I already have Khorns and La Scalas so the Jubes would pretty much be the Klipsch hat trick. 

I think you'll find the bass to be better than the La Scalas with either the Khorns or the Jubes. I also think the mid range on the Jubes would be better than the Khorns. 

@richieb, is running Jubes with passive crossovers. Sounds pretty damn sweet. 

Mark

1 hour ago, Schu said:

I am EXTREMELY HAPPY right now with my La Scalas. They sound quite spectacular in my listening space (25x40).

Do you need someone to talk you out of buying either one?  Sounds to me as though you've answered your own question in a way.....However, since you asked....I'd go Khorns without a doubt, since IMO Jubilee's are an aesthetic monstrosity.....and, they're ugly.

1 hour ago, shiva said:

Forget the Khorns. Had them for 30 years and not had them for 10. You should get these Jube clones, sell the tops and crossovers (to get almost half your money back), then buy K402's with K691's and have Dean build you a pair of passives from Roy's schematics. You will save about 2 grand in the process of being in Sonic Nirvana. Then you are all done until death do you part.

• Like 1

The Klipschorn is a big improvement over the La Scala even though the parts are basically the same. I was amazed how much better they sounded when I tried both in the same corners in the same room. Even a horn sub didn't make up the difference.

That said, I would get the Jubes. 

• Like 1

--- to quote a famous member " (Jubilees) are an aesthetic monstrosity - and they are ugly". Kind of hard to argue with either statement BUT in my large room their size is meaningless, they actually blend better than the KHorns which looked small in th same corners. As for them being ugly, well, I believe they are designed for supreme sound and not beauty. I bought them to listen, not to marry. How one can say any of the box style Heritage cabinets are beauty's is a stretch too, they're a damn wood box. This can be argued all day and to each his own.

But this is a timely post as just in th last three days I placed my LaScalas in front of the Jubes, dragged out the Quartets and wired in the RB75's. The Quartets and 75's have a remarkably similar sound, I like the 75's better. The LS are undeniably a great listen with all the limitations And positives the horn loaded bass presents. So the Q's and 75's kind of quickly retreated to their resting spots, the LS are still being played but at the end of the day and no surprise the Jubes of course dominate the smaller speaks and walk all over the LS. Same amp, same source, near identical positioning. The Jubes are able to scale the sound so big, deep, full even at very low volume that they spoil you when comparing to "small" speakers. They are effortless in their ability to play "big". And smooth. Jim is right, they are huge, the LS look puny sitting right in front of them. But if you have the room the Jubes are an end to your run. I A-B'd  the KHorns, now owned by Cincy, with the Jubes for less than a week before knowing the Jubes were staying. 

My plan is to try active networks very, very soon. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Then you are all done until death do you part.

Or until you want to spend some more dollars and get TAD drivers instead of K691's. Roy has a schematic for those drivers also.

That being said, and with the assumption that you want more bang for your buck and not the ultimate in micro details in the K-402 horns, forget I said this and stick to the K-691's (I have TADs in my K-402's, so I plunged further than most).

Well... Beryllium is the goal.

I was always king of just saving up and biding my time for Jubilees... but these 60th Klipschorns showed up at an extremely good price, hence the urgency. I want them, badly... but I have always wanted Jubilees, they have always been the ultimate goal.

If you do the Jubilee thing, don't do half measures. Get the best active unit, the best amplifiers, and the TADS. Anything less than that - forget it.

BTW, there are passive filter designs that Roy did for both the P.Audio and TAD drivers. You just have to find someone dumb enough to build them.

• Like 1

I have always been moving in the direction of bigger, whether that is a klipschorn or jubilee is still as yet to be determined. Larger more effortless is my goal, esthetics are a distance second.

One other thing that bothers me a bit is that an active crossover negates all the amp/preamp advancements I have made. Seems to me, while I can still use them, passing a tube signal thru another "active/digital" circuit really defeats the purpose of owning good tube gear.

Right now I am leaning slightly towards the Klipschorns... slightly.