What would do...

Schu

Keep in mind, even with enclosed backs, Klipschorns still need 48" of wall length in order to reproduce to the lowest frequencies -- the walls make up the last section of the bass horn.  If you don't have good corners or aren't able to build false walls, the other options may end up being better for you.

5 hours ago, mike stehr said:

They were designed to be hidden behind a cinema screen.

(haven't finished thread to see if any comment about this has been said)

I totally disagree.  They were originally designed to replace the Khorn as the KH II.  You know....  in the living room and all that "furniture" stuff.

• Thanks 1

My 2 cents...  having owned LaScalas for nearing 40 years....  Khorns for about 6 years...(and since sold Khorns)

Since you have suggested you hear with your ears & not your eyes...  it's Jubilee all the way.  There is no comparison once that 2" throat starts singing to you.

Now, if you already have some LaScalas handy, you can slap the 402 on top of those and be 90% there without the extra expense.  Add a horn subwoofer and consider yourself done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schu said:

Larger more effortless is my goal, esthetics are a distance second.

In that case, go with MCM1900. :emotion-21:

I love my Belle, LaScala and Khorn, but there is a level that the 1900 delivers that is so effortless and so full that it is the end of the search for better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deang said:

If you do the Jubilee thing, don't do half measures. Get the best active unit, the best amplifiers, and the TADS. Anything less than that - forget it.

BTW, there are passive filter designs that Roy did for both the P.Audio and TAD drivers. You just have to find someone dumb enough to build them.

Do bankers have self depreciating humor too?

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

My 2 cents...  having owned LaScalas for nearing 40 years....  Khorns for about 6 years...(and since sold Khorns)

Since you have suggested you hear with your ears & not your eyes...  it's Jubilee all the way.  There is no comparison once that 2" throat starts singing to you.

Now, if you already have some LaScalas handy, you can slap the 402 on top of those and be 90% there without the extra expense.  Add a horn subwoofer and consider yourself done.

good point, but what makes a jub a jub is the bass bin.

2 hours ago, JMON said:

Keep in mind, even with enclosed backs, Klipschorns still need 48" of wall length in order to reproduce to the lowest frequencies -- the walls make up the last section of the bass horn.  If you don't have good corners or aren't able to build false walls, the other options may end up being better for you.

PWK had 48" false corners and NO enclosed backs on his Walnut Khonrs when heard them, which is more marketing than perfomance.  You can get a good corner seal seal without it.

I have to be honest... it's the active XO, added equipment and additional complexity that is the issue for me.

I understand the customizable nature of active is the flavor of the week... it's unfortunate for my situation that klipsch doesn't offer a passive option that takes into account bass bin timing. They seem to offer many many passive options for other "Professional" direct radiating models that use the 402 and 510.

• Like 2

Schu- 

Having owned Khorns for more than 40 years and Jubes for 10 years, I’ll say this... The Klipschorn is still an excellent speaker but the Jubilee is a stellar speaker. If you cannot have a pair of each then I would chose the Jubilee, especially with the TADs. I knew this from the first time I heard them and my judgment hasn’t changed after thousands of hours of listening.

p.s.-  Don’t sweat the active crossover, I had my doubts but Roy made a believer out of me. There’s no going back now, easy to master and sooo flexible.

• Like 3

I will know in the next few weeks the advantage of active vs. my current Crites passives. I understand a passive network cannot do the time alignment thing but I can't I again Bob Crites designing a sub-standard passive network. The active investment will be minimal, amps are in hand. To my ears they already sound incredible after nearly one year of passive listening through tubes as low as 2 watts to 400 watt Class D monos. I will soon know if indeed going active is the Jube promised land. 

• Thanks 1

Schu,

I started my Klipsch journey with a pair of Corwalls that sounded and looked fantastic.

Sold those and purchased Claude's KHorns which were a very nice upgrade.

During, "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", I sold the Khorns for a switch to a pair of Maggie, 1.7s.

When I decided to get back into horns I thought why not build a pair of Cornscalas.

My CSs got over built  compared to Bob's normal recipe and turned out fantastic.

I, and most of my HiFi friends agree that they sounded a step or two above my/Claude's KHorns.

Fast forward to last winter when I built my current Jub-like clones.

This is a whole new ball game!

Yes, I though an extra amp and an active Xover might be more expensive and complicated, but as it turned out, well with it!

With Chris's help on setting up the XP4080, it was a piece of cake.

Do yourself a favour and cut to the chase, if you want the most satisfying Klipsch Heritage sound... Jubilee!!!

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Schu said:

I need to add... I am EXTREMELY HAPPY right now with my La Scalas. They sound quite spectacular in my listening space (25x40).

the Klipschorn is really just about the same speaker plus some low frequency addition, but some additional timing issues because of the horn length.

I am also somewhat afraid that Jubilees might just be overkill for my listening space because I rarely listen to any music or movie much above 90-95db.

You are at a completely different level with Jubes, it doesn't matter what listening level is.  If you had your top 3 listening tracks on at 90db, and listened to all 3 speakers, you are going to go with Jubes every time, especially in a 25x40 room.  

Jubes don't sound like Khorns or LS's, they are completely different.  You are talking apples and oranges, night and day.  I would talk to people who had Khorns who got Jubes and ask them their thoughts.

I would venture to say if you got Jubes you would eventually take one of your LS cabinets and cut the top off to put on a 402 Horn for a center channel. 

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, Schu said:

38238549245_7937c9a5a1_h.jpg

38410525954_368f45fcd6_h.jpg

38410526044_894bafa999_h.jpg

'm

That's what I am being pitched...

I do have all the amps I need for Jubilees, bel canto for the bass bin and vrds for the 402. I am thinking VRDs are a waste in an active circuit.

I ran VRDs  for 402 Horn and SS for LF, in active set up.  You will like that sound a lot.

I did start this thread to talk to folks who have crossed this bridge... and I have LSii's and don't need a saw.  :lol:

This isn't a klipschorn vs jubilee thread from a performance perspective, but a thread to see if there is perhaps another criteria to consider... perhaps cost vs return, room size vs large complex pro system, diminishing returns... things like that. From a purely performance aspect, the winner is clear.

You had an active/VRD system? If you are inserting another active circuit that is digital in nature between the tubes and the driver, isn't that a huge waste of a good amplifier?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bill W. said:

Schu- 

Having owned Khorns for more than 40 years and Jubes for 10 years, I’ll say this... The Klipschorn is still an excellent speaker but the Jubilee is a stellar speaker. If you cannot have a pair of each then I would chose the Jubilee, especially with the TADs. I knew this from the first time I heard them and my judgment hasn’t changed after thousands of hours of listening.

p.s.-  Don’t sweat the active crossover, I had my doubts but Roy made a believer out of me. There’s no going back now, easy to master and sooo flexible.

SCHU, 

This is what I'm talking about, someone who has had Khorns.  Bill knows his stuff.  He uses those Jubes at his restaurant outdoors (made with marine grade plywood), and at home.

It is very difficult to put into words what you are moving up to.  The Khorn is indeed a great speaker.  Let me.try it this way, in a 25 x 40 room the distance between a Khorn and Jubes is about the same as Heresey and Khorn. Jubes are not tweaked Khorns.  They are two way, with a modified tractrix CD Horn.  There is nothing like it in Klipsch Heritage line to compare it to.

• Like 1