What would do...

Schu

• Moderators
10 hours ago, richieb said:

To date, nothing. And I do not know how close Bobs designs get. I only make the assumption that like Bobs "standard" Heritage designs his Jube passives are well thought out. I will have a dx38 in the next couple weeks and will only then be able to confirm the positives everyone speaks on. My plan is one of my Nelson Pass Class A amps on the 402 and Wyred 400 watt Class D mAmps on the bins. I'm more apprehensive than anxious with the înstall but I may as well find what, if any, I'm leaving on the table. 

I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on the time alignment, and active vs. passive. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, cincymat said:

Schu,

That's correct. PM me if you want a smoking deal on a new Xilica. I bought one from @MetropolisLakeOutfitters and decided not to go that route. 

Mark

What listening level are you at most of the time?  Schu mentioned earlier that he is typically at about 90 to 95db and was wondering if Jubes would be overkill.

Just now, dwilawyer said:

What listening level are you at most of the time?  Schu mentioned earlier that he is typically at about 90 to 95db and was wondering if Jubes would be overkill.

I'm using Khorns and don't listen that loud. Typically in the 85 to 90 range. One very nice thing about large Klipsch speakers is they sound very detailed and balanced at low listening levels. 

Mark

3 minutes ago, cincymat said:

I'm using Khorns and don't listen that loud. Typically in the 85 to 90 range. One very nice thing about large Klipsch speakers is they sound very detailed and balanced at low listening levels. 

Mark

Very true. And Jubes are large room filling with plenty of perceived bass and still well balanced. But Cincy's version of "not that loud" might not match that of his lovely significant other. Trying to show the merits of Jubes and ultra  low powered SE tubes just didn't cut the cake with the Mrs. Cincy. The 2a3's ran out of poop as she kept asking for louder, louder. I finally had to tap out. If only I had the the nCores or now the Wyred mAmps I believe I would have earned the above mentioned merit badge. Lady likes it Loud ----

• Like 1

Just now, richieb said:

Very true. And Jubes are large room filling with plenty of perceived bass and still well balanced. But Cincy's version of "not that loud" might not match that of his lovely significant other. Trying to show the merits of Jubes and ultra  low powered SE tubes just didn't cut the cake with the Mrs. Cincy. The 2a3's ran out of poop as she kept asking for louder, louder. I finally had to tap out. If only I had the the nCores or now the Wyred mAmps I believe I would have earned the above mentioned merit badge. Lady likes it Loud ----

And that's why I keep the remote out of her hands. Our family room would most likely explode if she turned up the 400 wpc nCore monoblocks. She does like her Led Zeppelin, LOUD. 

Mark

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, cincymat said:

One very nice thing about large Klipsch speakers is they sound very detailed and balanced at low listening levels. 

True, we listen to music all day at a volume that you can easily talk across a room to each other and it's still detailed and sounds large, but turn it up and it only gets better. When I say sounds large I mean the music is coming from that side of the room (24'wide x 34' deep), but it's not from a particular spot it sounds so large, I know that a strange way to describe it.

3 hours ago, cincymat said:

And that's why I keep the remote out of her hands. Our family room would most likely explode if she turned up the 400 wpc nCore monoblocks. She does like her Led Zeppelin, LOUD. 

Mark

WOW that's unusual, she sounds like fun, but yes watch her with the volume knob 400 wpc would be dangerous. 

15 minutes ago, dtel said:

WOW that's unusual, she sounds like fun, but yes watch her with the volume knob 400 wpc would be dangerous. 

I'm trying to get her to come with me to the 2018 Pilgrimage. You guys can let her play with the volume control there. 

Mark

• Moderators

As far as looks go it would not be terribly hard to make them look better if it's a problem. Make some simple frames 3, one for the 402 horn and 2 for the openings of the bass bin. I asked my wife months after setting our speakers up if she wanted grills on everything and she said no I like the way it looks. So I never did anything but plan to. I want to make some red oak frames to go around the 402 horn. It would match the mwm bass bins, no grill cloth just a frame I think it would look good. It would be to just border the last inch or so and go out a little as to not be to small looking. I showed the idea to Roy to do to make sure it wouldn't affect the sound and he said it was fine since it was not close to the last flair of the horn. I told him I didn't want to mess with the bubble, he looked at me surprised, I told him, see I do listen, I think he was not expecting to hear that.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, cincymat said:

I'm trying to get her to come with me to the 2018 Pilgrimage. You guys can let her play with the volume control there. 

Mark

It's not my stuff, but still maby not, I would hate to see grown men cry if their speakers got toasted. I would think she would enjoy Kevins 600's outside.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 1:07 PM, Deang said:

If you do the Jubilee thing, don't do half measures. Get the best active unit, the best amplifiers, and the TADS. Anything less than that - forget it.

BTW, there are passive filter designs that Roy did for both the P.Audio and TAD drivers. You just have to find someone dumb enough to build them.

Just to clarify, I had in mind Roy's designs, which supply correction/EQ, and are made up of quite a few elements. The builds aren't necessarily all that challenging, but they are time consuming -- and expensive (if you build with good parts). I think Rigma had close to $3000 in parts in his. I once built a pair and charged close to $2000 for a pair that had $1200 in parts -- I felt that a couple of the air cores were slightly undersized, but hey -- I was on a budget. After building a few sets, including my own -- I really didn't want build any more of them.

I won't comment on Jubs or the Khorns since I've never heard either one.  I will tell you one of the best experiences that I had was a system with LaScalas, out board eq and sub.  I said to myself that day, It would be darn near impossible to beat this at any price range.  The room size should a big determinant in the final choice.

6 hours ago, mark1101 said:

Schu..........So what are you going to do?

I think I will have a definitive conversation with the klipschorn seller to see what the final price might be.. if it's close to my ideal of $4000'ish, I might just go ahead and get them. They are only a few hours away from me and would be easy to get as long as they are in the described condition. I believe the seller is under some pressure to move them.

If seller can't or won't deal, I am going to continue with my original quest of getting jubilees with veneer. I do think Jubilees represent an incredible value for performance and have always been my goal in as near future as this year. However the year has passed and I think I am very very close in the first quarter of next year. I would love to have jubilees by my birthday in late February.

This entire thread was driven by the fact that I found my second best choice... a 60th Klipschorn, hence the immediacy of the subject about the choice between the two.

As I said already in the thread, I am very happy with my current setup and I know I would be much happier with the Klipschorns... with Jubilees I would ecstatic.

One other thing... if I do end up buying Jubilees, it will be the first NEW pair of speakers I have ever owned.

• Like 1

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

A sealed Back means nothing.The Klipschorn has to fit in a corner to function properly. Stuffed in the corner as it should be the back is sealed. The two walls making the corner are part of the speaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A corner is best but on the 60th anniversary they are not made to seal with the corner. They could go in the corner but it's not what would create the the last fold of the horn, the sides do. It would probably benefit from being in the corner with the side walls, after the sound leaves the speaker.  

• Moderators

Good luck Schu, what ever way you go I hope your happy. The Khorn is the same top half as your LaScala but the horn bass is completely different with those two. As much as I like the LaScala, especially the second version the Khorn bass would be much different than what you are use to.

Still easily have my favorite :lol: but either is an improvement. Good luck

OK, I've been listening to LaScalas' for three days now so I again have a good handle on their signature. Stock LS with freshened Type AA networks and Jubes with Crites passive networks. Amplifier is Nelson Pass F3 JFet single ended. The difference is not subtle. Even starting at very, very low volume the Jubes bloom from top to bottom is big, wide, full. The LS sounds tiny, tinny, presenting zero bloom. Staying away from hifi lingo the Jubes are all encompassing, effortless in their presentation. Extremely coherent in a quality two-way kind of presentation. While there is still that special "something" with a LS the side by side comparison of the two is enlightening. I'm afraid its reverse David vs. Goliath where here Goliath reaches out, takes away his rock and slingshot, pats him on the head and politely sends him on his way.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richieb said:

OK, I've been listening to LaScalas' for three days now so I again have a good handle on their signature. Stock LS with freshened Type AA networks and Jubes with Crites passive networks. Amplifier is Nelson Pass F3 JFet single ended. The difference is not subtle. Even starting at very, very low volume the Jubes bloom from top to bottom is big, wide, full. The LS sounds tiny, tinny, presenting zero bloom. Staying away from hifi lingo the Jubes are all encompassing, effortless in their presentation. Extremely coherent in a quality two-way kind of presentation. While there is still that special "something" with a LS the side by side comparison of the two is enlightening. I'm afraid its reverse David vs. Goliath where here Goliath reaches out, takes away his rock and slingshot, pats him on the head and politely sends him on his way.

Rich,

Exactly, bigger speaker, bigger sound. Love my La Scalas. However, my Khorns are moving south with me when I retire. 

Btw, that’s a pretty inspired review. Been hittin the fire water? 

Mark