Perfect Price/Performance Roaster...FOUND

Mallette

Secura...if you can get one.  I found this one on Ebay and got it for 80.00 delivered.  Worth that as a coffee roaster, which I knew it might work for give the agitator and ability to fry potatoes.  And, indeed it did.  40 minutes, outside, no smoke, almost free of chaff due to the fans.  Rest blew off easily.  Looking forward to fresh roasted Columbian Supremo in the AM!  

Dave20171217_182841.thumb.jpg.17889fa2a842937ec8edf00b5dc153fa.jpg

10 hours ago, Mallette said:

Secura...if you can get one.  I found this one on Ebay and got it for 80.00 delivered.  Worth that as a coffee roaster, which I knew it might work for give the agitator and ability to fry potatoes.  And, indeed it did.  40 minutes, outside, no smoke, almost free of chaff due to the fans.  Rest blew off easily.  Looking forward to fresh roasted Columbian Supremo in the AM!  

Dave20171217_182841.thumb.jpg.17889fa2a842937ec8edf00b5dc153fa.jpg

Never saw fried potatoes like that. Are they "Nano" potatoes?

JJK

Yes.  Lot's of choice and prices on the web for green beans and given this method is hands off easy, little point in having to make a trip. Plus, these things are great as portable convection ovens and with temps as low as 140 degrees as food warmers or dryers for various things.  I don't care for one trick ponies.  I like machines that are versatile.  

Dave

Model 997MC.  Good luck finding one.  Many places had a listing for them, but all were out of stock.  Not sure if that is a production problem due to high demand (ratings are excellent by users) or something else.  I got mine on Ebay from a guy whose wife had died and he no longer used it.

Dave

That is sweet. Can you give the abbreviated version of the steps in roasting? After roasting are you supposed to let it "sit" for couple days? 

Not too technical. City vs full city roast single crack vs double. What do you prefer? A gent name Turtle on another forum was big into it.

1. I put them in there.  Use about a half pound the first run, but reasonably sure it can handle quite a bit more and a pound will be no problem.  

2. I turn it on to max, 475.

3. 40 minutes for medium/dark

4. Use compressed air or dust off to blow out the chaff.

5. Grind and brew some as soon as it cools enough.

Easy enough?  

Only caveat is it's best done outside or it may set of your smoke detectors...though this method produces much less smoke that a cast iron frying pan.

Dave

• Thanks 1