Best US music city

BigStewMan

Time for another good old fashioned argument. I was going to say “favorite;” but “best” lends itself much better to debate. 

The birthplace of bands or performers careers is what i’m getting at. I know genre plays a huge role in one’s decision; but, i’m voting for ...

SAN FRANCISCO. ( a band/performer from a suburb is acceptable. So in my case, the entire San Francisco/Oakland Bay Area counts). 

• Like 1

NYC!!!!

Great Jazz clubs. Everyone seems to migrate there or pass through or live there at some point. John Lennon (Dakota), David Bowie (Lived there a long time),Carole King, The Velvet Underground, Simon and Garfunkel (think they had a NYC connection), Billy Joel, Patti Smith, Beastie Boys, Madonna (Michigan moved to NCY to make it), Norah Jones. If we are expanding to a region like Steve gets to with the Bay area then Jersey is suburb of NYC and you get Springsteen and Bon Jovi (Theeb's favorite RnR hall inductee) plus the rest of the tunnel and bridge crowd.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rplace said:

NYC!!!!

Great Jazz clubs. Everyone seems to migrate there or pass through or live there at some point. John Lennon (Dakota), David Bowie (Lived there a long time),Carole King, The Velvet Underground, Simon and Garfunkel (think they had a NYC connection), Billy Joel, Patti Smith, Beastie Boys, Madonna (Michigan moved to NCY to make it), Norah Jones. If we are expanding to a region like Steve gets to with the Bay area then Jersey is suburb of NYC and you get Springsteen and Bon Jovi (Theeb's favorite RnR hall inductee) plus the rest of the tunnel and bridge crowd.

i gave it a like DESPITE the fact that you mentioned Bruce and bon jovi.  If any act bothers me more than fleetwood mac it is those two. 

i do accept your list as valid, although i was thinking more of musicians that began there careers in a location rather than lived there at some point later in life. Anywhere that Norah Jones lived gets an honorable mention though. She’s great.

3 hours ago, RT FAN said:

While I am in agreement with rplace about the importance of NYC in shaping many genres of music, tribute must be paid to both New Orleans as the cradle of jazz

As i was writing the original post, I knew that someone would mention New Orleans. Definitely a major player in the Jazz scene.