ALK Universal Crossovers For Sale- Sold

Sid K

This network is designed to replace the A or AA in the Klipschorn, Belle, and La Scala no others unless modified.  It looks like this is the non-adjustable version as I don't see all the additional leads to adjust midrange level perhaps an early set.  Should be on the 5 and 2 taps typically.

2 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

This network is designed to replace the A or AA in the Klipschorn, Belle, and La Scala no others unless modified.  It looks like this is the non-adjustable version as I don't see all the additional leads to adjust midrange level perhaps an early set.  Should be on the 5 and 2 taps typically.

Good to know.

Thank you.

I have been able to change adjust the mid range in the past, so I would assume its an adjustable version.

The red wires on the left are adjustable.

On 12/20/2017 at 6:49 PM, mopardave said:

I was just looking at the Alk web site pricing xo for my home brew Cornwalls.   They had the Alk universal xo priced at $320/pr.    No price for the regular universal.    How much were they new?

I believe I paid around $500 usd.

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

The label says type A replacement.  I think all the old and new style Universals actually said Universal on the label.  I have one of the original Universals and there's a cluster of separate wires with spade connectors built in for different attenuation of the mids.  It would be nice if there were pictures on the ALK site of all his past and current offerings.I

20170223_194707.jpg

A very good price for these.

They are Universals -- 2nd iteration. Uses the 1.3mH low pass coil instead of the 2.4mH, and has Kimbers in the high pass instead of Hovlands.

I once asked Al why he didn't just run two jumpers off the terminal strip for the midrange instead of soldering all of those leads to the autoformer (which is how I did it on my Super AA builds). So yes, these are adjustable, and you just move the jumpers to the two taps you want to use.

25 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

What is the purpose of a 1.3mH for low pass instead of the 2.4? 

Because Al decided that the inductance of the K-33 voice coil is a part of the crossover. He says that the low pass is "6 ohms in series with 1mH of inductance" (the VC). Therefore, he subtracts the 1mH of the VC from the low pass inductor value.

When I built the Universal under license, I used the original 2.4mH value.

The inductance of the VC is not part of the crossover -- nobody in the industry does it that way.

https://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

12 hours ago, Deang said:

A very good price for these.

They are Universals -- 2nd iteration. Uses the 1.3mH low pass coil instead of the 2.4mH, and has Kimbers in the high pass instead of Hovlands.

I once asked Al why he didn't just run two jumpers off the terminal strip for the midrange instead of soldering all of those leads to the autoformer (which is how I did it on my Super AA builds). So yes, these are adjustable, and you just move the jumpers to the two taps you want to use.

Thanks for the input Dean.

11 hours ago, Deang said:

The inductance of the VC is not part of the crossover -- nobody in the industry does it that way.

https://www.eminence.com/support/understanding-loudspeaker-data/

See this is part of the reason crossover design drives me nuts, how in the world could driver impedance not matter? How then do you even come up with the 2.4mh value? Why not a 5mh or a 3mh? or a 1.3mh? Why have one at all? 

3 minutes ago, wdecho said:

To stop the bass driver trying to reproduce mid frequencies and pass that job over to the mid driver. A lot depends on how high the bass driver goes. Many drop off pretty fast and if this frequency is about the crossover point, yes the inductor may not be necessary. As far as why PWK choose a 2.5uf inductor, I remember reading why but right now I do not remember. Maybe someone on this forum can answer the questions but remember PWK was a genius in his field and he had his reasons. If you use crossover calculator you will find a much lower value. 

Yes I found one calculator yesterday and it seemed like the 2.5mh inductor would be set at 700hz for an 8 ohm driver but the 4 ohm drivers were way off. If driver impedance doesn't matter or shouldn't be used how then do you determine the size inductor one needs? Cabinet and driver size? Cabinet tuning? I understand the need to cap the woofer and that the folded horns will likely have their own built in frequency response limitations but what about direct radiator speakers like the Cornwall, Chorus, Heresy etc?  

16 hours ago, Deang said:

Because Al decided that the inductance of the K-33 voice coil is a part of the crossover. He says that the low pass is "6 ohms in series with 1mH of inductance" (the VC). Therefore, he subtracts the 1mH of the VC from the low pass inductor value.

I'm wrong here. Al does not consider the VC inductance of the K-33 as part of the network. I just always assumed he did -- since he backed the 1mH out of the original value of the low pass coil. So, here is what he has to say about it, and I'm not going to pretend that I understand it all.