La Scala Question regarding Serial Numbers

dnpainting

Hi, I am new to the forum and only a few years into owning Klipsch La Scala's.  

I have a pair of La Scala's that a Good friend of mine (known since 1978, his son and I went to school and grew up together) told me he had purchased back in 1973 from The Moulin Rouge in Hollywood, CA when they closed the dance floor section.  He recently passed away and I have them sitting here with me.  Is there any record indicating serial numbers that were sold to the Moulin Rouge?  The reason I am asking is the serial numbers on the La Scala's are 18S709 and 18S710, which would indicate manufactured in 1978.  I was trying to figure out if for some reason, the backs had been replaced by my friend at some point or another or if these were in fact the serial numbers that were actually sold to the night club.  He had added walnut veneer to them and built custom grilles for them as well.  Inside the upper compartment, there are holes, 1 per side, where a bolt had previously been for hanging.  When he got them, they were Birch Raw cabinets.  Here are the pictures he sent a couple years ago to me of when he got them and added the veneer and grilles.  Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

David     

Klipsch-1.jpg

KlipschB4.jpg

I have another pair in my garage setup along side some Altec A7's.  Couldn't ask for more!

Edited by dnpainting

Look at the back of the speakers...on the top edge of the rear panel of the bass bin...the serial number SHOULD also be STAMPED into the top edge of that panel.  Find the driver for the mid-range horn and look just below it at the rear panel's top edge...let us know if it matched the labels on the speakers...it SHOULD!  In order to replace the rear panel it would pretty much require destroying the bass bin in the process....so I sincerely doubt it has been replaced.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...