Cool gift

mr clean

Opened a few gifts because I'm working christmas. I got some things I really liked but thought it was a  great smaller gift. Looks nice setting by the system. This is just a pic offline.  https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ61mAdTpaSgwAU5RXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1OG9zYTB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkwMkM0XzEEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=nipper+bank&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=1&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2Fimages%2Fi%2F271950636496-0-1%2Fs-l1000.jpg&action=click

• Like 3

20 hours ago, dtel said:

That is cool, is it cast iron like in the pic, even better ?

Yes its cast. A repo for sure but I like it. Mine is little different than the one posted after I looked better. Its like this one.I guess I'm old school. All I cook with is cast iron. I like finding older cast like wagnor and griswold.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0LEVy9HAjxamMgAfKxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1OG9zYTB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkwMkM0XzEEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=nipper+bank&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=14&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.auctiva.com%2Fimgdata%2F1%2F6%2F8%2F2%2F0%2F4%2F6%2Fwebimg%2F621038330_o.jpg%3Fnc%3D394&action=click

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mr clean said:

I like finding older cast like wagnor and griswold.

Except for when I need huge pots I use cast iron also, love it. I just have a mix of brands I found here and there only bought one new, no griswold for sure unless it's one of the unmarked pans ? As long as there thick iron I'm good.

• Like 1

dtel, have you ever stopped at Lodge Cast Iron in South Pittsburg, TN? They make some great products. Just south of I24 between Nashville and Chattanooga. (closer to chattanooga, down off the plateau)

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Marvel said:

dtel, have you ever stopped at Lodge Cast Iron in South Pittsburg, TN? They make some great products. Just south of I24 between Nashville and Chattanooga. (closer to chattanooga, down off the plateau)

Bruce

We stopped at one outside of Pigeon Forge TN I think it was. That's where I got the only one I bought new, it was different with curved sides instead of the normal design. It was the only one like it there and it was marked down, may have been discontinued, I don't know.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marvel said:

Cool... they have a few well placed stores. Their foundry and main digs are in S. Pittsburg, and the only store I've been to.

Bass pros carry a lot also. I have a 6 inch lodge I fry my eggs in. Best crispy fried eggs ever. Its getting a lot of buildup on it from using. I need to throw it in a pile of burning leaves like mom used to do to clean it up. 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, mr clean said:

Bass pros carry a lot also. I have a 6 inch lodge I fry my eggs in. Best crispy fried eggs ever. Its getting a lot of buildup on it from using. I need to throw it in a pile of burning leaves like mom used to do to clean it up. 

If it's on the outside I just use an wire wheel on a grinder then just re season, for general cleaning the inside in seconds the fastest way I found was one of the stainless steel mesh scrubbers. (pic) Very little sticks to the pans but it's the fastest,way to clean after each using. (NO soap ever) I stick them back on the stove to dry them wiped on the inside with a napkin and a tiny bit of oil or bacon grease, it's adds to the seasoning the pan and makes it more and more nonstick.

A hot fire like you said can also do it but you have to re season the whole pot again, coated with vegetable oil and baked in the oven can help alot with that. I have a couple of the little 6" like you said and I use them for eggs also.

ss.jpg

Thanks for the tips. I season in the oven every now and then. Ive just started looking for older door stops also. I use a kettle bell for a doorstop to keep from hitting my one speakers now so thats what got me to start looking. Hubley is a great old brand. I guess this could be thought of as stereo related if it protects my speakers right!  

• Moderators

No need to be stereo related, you started this thread so where ever it goes only you can complain. :lol:

A kettle bell is cool, a long time ago many people had cast iron rabbit statues for door stops, i remember them as a kid. I didn't know about Hubley, had no idea, someone told me about Griswold for pots, that's about all I knew as far as who make the better stuff.

That Nipper bank piece is nice, had no idea they were made in cast iron. Except for cast iron pans the only other thing I have is a a small replica of a wood burning stove, it's about 12" tall and sits behind the wood heater we use, have no idea where we got it.

• Like 1

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Marvel said:

Cool... they have a few well placed stores. Their foundry and main digs are in S. Pittsburg, and the only store I've been to.

I would like to go to the foundry, I would think they have a store there with everything they make, and they make alot of different things. The one we went to was an Lodge outlet store, and even it had a crazy amount of pots and pans. I got a few of the little things that slide over the handles so you don't have to use a potholder, I rarely use those.

I love to cook, someone told me about cast iron pans a long time ago when I was complaining about most non stick pans not working very well. It took a while before I started using cast iron but the more I did the more I liked them. All of mine are well seasoned now and you can cook anything in them and they just wipe clean, i like cooking not cleaning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

I would like to go to the foundry, I would think they have a store there with everything they make, and they make alot of different things. The one we went to was an Lodge outlet store, and even it had a crazy amount of pots and pans. I got a few of the little things that slide over the handles so you don't have to use a potholder, I rarely use those.

I love to cook, someone told me about cast iron pans a long time ago when I was complaining about most non stick pans not working very well. It took a while before I started using cast iron but the more I did the more I liked them. All of mine are well seasoned now and you can cook anything in them and they just wipe clean, i like cooking not cleaning.

We had a foundry a few blocks from my house growing up. Staples foundry. I had a few things from there. Dad had a plate on front of the car from there. I don't recall what it said. I love the little dog door stops and I'm sure most the mid to older folks on the site knew someone with one. I cook with dutch ovens when camping some and thats a lot of fun. I like smoking meat and and dutch oven cooking because of how good it smells and drives people nuts. I recall as a child smelling my neighbor grilling and how left out I felt when my friends father would call them home to eat. I guess it had a lasting effect lol!

• Moderators

I have the standard size dutch oven, but I have never really tried cooking with it. It sits all year on top of our wood burning heater  which is the only heat we have. About all i have cooked in it was potatoes, I wrapped sweet and regular potatoes in foil and left them in it all day on the wood heater, it was like creamed potatoes by that evening.

Glad you said that I need to start using it, for the same reason i use the other pots, easy to clean.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 9:42 AM, mr clean said:

I got some things I really liked but thought it was a  great smaller gift. Looks nice setting by the system.

Cool gift.  Someone seems to know what you like.  B)

I didn't know the dog's name was "Nipper."  The only phrase I've ever heard associated with that pic is "his master's voice."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Cool gift.  Someone seems to know what you like.  B)

I didn't know the dog's name was "Nipper  The only phrase I've ever heard associated with that pic is "his master's voice."

I was just reading about nipper. Fox or jack russell terrier. I have a toy fox. Had two before lucy died. Smart little dogs.  the original picture was real nice.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=AwrJ62CtBT5aVFUAaUlXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1OG9zYTB2BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUkwMkM0XzEEc2VjA3BpdnM-?p=masters+voice+rca+dog+nipper&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-201#id=6&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fupload.wikimedia.org%2Fwikipedia%2Fcommons%2Fb%2Fbd%2FOriginalNipper.jpg&action=click