Stud Finders - What are you using

tigerwoodKhorns

30 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I just point my finger at my chest..

When the attendees at the Hope gettogather were asked that question I got an uncomfortable feeling as all women were pointing at me. Yes, even her!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If you look closely at your wall, especially drywall, it will give many clues to where the wood framing is.....nail pops, seams, electrical outlets, even the baseboard trim should be nailed where the studs are.

I have a couple.  I think they're all Zircon but not sure.  New one has a little screen that will show you when you're centered on stud.

I'll also use the above methods...and also a magnet (to find drywall screws that are buried in the wall)

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 hours ago, USNRET said:

When the attendees at the Hope gettogather were asked that question I got an uncomfortable feeling as all women were pointing at me. Yes, even her!

I think it was that Hawaiian shirt you were wearing that caused that. 

• Moderators
45 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

If you look closely at your wall, especially drywall, it will give many clues to where the wood framing is.....nail pops, seams, electrical outlets, even the baseboard trim should be nailed where the studs are.

If not you need a better sub.:o

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dtel said:

I remember that because I like those kinds of shirts, 40 pounds you looked thin not overweight.

Either way I'm just glad I am not you for this week coming, when the other half gets home. :o

I remember that shirt purchase. What was supposed to be a one hour re-fueling stop ended up being 3 days. Left with a flight suit only J.C. Penny sold me that shirt.

I lost from 220 to 160 in one year. I was 220 when you last saw me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

I have a couple.  I think they're all Zircon but not sure.  New one has a little screen that will show you when you're centered on stud.

I'll also use the above methods...and also a magnet (to find drywall screws that are buried in the wall)

That's a good idea. I'll remember that.

• Like 1

• Moderators

If anyone considering a new stud finder does not have a I OS phone this looks great, looks like it would be fun just to play with. :)

Now it they would come out with an app for thermal imagining this would be cool. I think it may need a different camera lens than a phone ? They are used alot on houses, cars and equipment like bearing overheating and to find air leaks around windows, ac/heat ducting and just anywhere with potential problems you can not see. Plus it would be fun to play with.

1 hour ago, dtel said:

If anyone considering a new stud finder does not have a I OS phone this looks great, looks like it would be fun just to play with. :)

Now it they would come out with an app for thermal imagining this would be cool. I think it may need a different camera lens than a phone ? They are used alot on houses, cars and equipment like bearing overheating and to find air leaks around windows, ac/heat ducting and just anywhere with potential problems you can not see. Plus it would be fun to play with.

The thermo imaging units I used were very expensive and very accurate but that was 30 years ago.

JJK

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JJkizak said:

The thermo imaging units I used were very expensive and very accurate but that was 30 years ago.

JJK

I'm pretty sure they are still expensive, especially for just playing around.