14 year old 5.1 Klipsch surround system...

dwb1957

Hey all...

15 year old Klipsch R*-3 series 2 worthy??

Hey, 1st thread...Doing a Home audio/video family room upgrade after Christmas...Ran across an elderly customer of mine selling some '03 Klipsch home theater speakers that won't fit into their new home setup...They are in perfect condition rarely used (not abused) packed in original packaging, & asking $750...I do love to listen to music along with the theater sound...Replacing a Bose Am7 (edit) set up that sucked for any & all applications.

RF-3 II Floorstanding speakers...
RC-3 II Center Channel speaker
RS-3 II Surround speakers...
RSW-10 Powered Sub...

They may fit into this combo...
LG Super UHD 4K HDR Smart LED TV w/ Nano Cell Display 65" #65SJ850A 
Sony STR-DN1080 7.2 capable featuring Dolby Atmos & DTS, etc...
Sony UBP-X800 4K Blu-ray player...

Opinion on these speakers? Will they work well with the Sony STR-DN1080? Can I add a pair of Klipsch R-14sa add on upfiring speakers to the set up (placing on top of the RF-3II's)?  Any concerns with the age?

Thanks for the help in advance!

IMG_0088.JPG

Edited by dwb1957

Nice all-in-one setup.  $750 is an excellent price.  The star of the show is the RSW subwoofer.

Yes, you can add any Atmos speaker as long as your receiver is set up for it.

No concerns age-wise.  Those speakers are decades younger than the speakers many of us on here use!:D

• Moderators

Welcome and great price, like Wuzzzer said don't worry about the age, they will be doing fine 20 years from now.

Yes that receiver will work fine, just remember don't turn it up to the point of distortion, if it sounds clear your good, it will be loud. It's going to run circles around your am6 setup, easily, your in for a treat.

You must have been good boy this year to get a deal like this for Christmas.  B)

Why not a temporary set up for now just to try it ? :emotion-14: I couldn't wait myself. :D  The people here have alot of experience, don't hesitate to ask questions.

Can't wait to hear what you think, it's going to be a big improvement, love when this happens.

Thanks for the input...1st I edited the Bose model to am7 (still lol).  Reason for the delay is I need to remove and sell a 12’ Long 3 section custom wall unit that currently houses an old Sony 42” Plasma TV that I won in a sales contest (was $6,500 @ that time 😱)...the new receiver was purchased from BH PHOTO 3.5 weeks ago and is still on back order @$398 (great price BUT...)...They said they do not know when it’ll be in...I may just cancel it.  

When I re-do the wall with re-claimed barn wood I’ll need to re-route some cabling.  Christmas needs to be behind us first 😐.

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

I would be running to get that deal. You will be very pleased with the sound of them

Just made the call...picking them up tomorrow 👍

3 hours ago, The History Kid said:

I ran this setup for many months and was happy with it. You may only want for a beefier AVR.

Also the RP-140SAs would be better suited. The RF-3 II is the second generation of that line.

I originally desired an AVR w/ hdmi switching and 4K pass thru...saw the great price and great reviews from Cnet (not sure if they are a good source).  Can you recommend a good mid-range AVR if I cancel my order?

Edited by dwb1957
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, dwb1957 said:

I originally desired an AVR w/ hdmi switching and 4K pass thru...saw the great price and great reviews from Cnet (not sure if they are a good source).  Can you recommend a good mid-range AVR if I cancel my order?

Accessories4less. Com

Generally speaking Marantz matches with Klipsch.

and remember that 'in the future' the amp need not be changed but the processor (AVR) will be considered obsolete. Not to make you over spend but buy an amp of whatever channels and a pre-pro on the used / refurb market and then you will only have to replace the processor.

9 hours ago, dwb1957 said:

I would do as others have said and look on Accessories4Less. Look at the Denon InCommand series, Yamaha AVENTAGE Series, or Marantz.

11 hours ago, dwb1957 said:

For $400 you could also get a brand new (as opposed to used) Yamaha TSR-7810 at Costco for that price all the time and if you don't have a membership or one near you, Fry's puts them on sale for that price regularly.  There are always better units but for $400 the 7810 is pretty feature packed.  And if it is anywhere near as reliable as the Yamaha it replaced, it'll still work just fine in 10 years.

The latest update for the 7810 supposedly added HDR support if you need that also (I don't even have a 4k TV so I haven't even bothered with the update yet).

I have a similar system that I have used for years (since 03) and have been very happy.  RF3s, RC3, RB8s.  I have some Polk 8 inch in ceiling speakers from the previous home owner that I use for ATMOS with my Yamaha 1060 receiver.  I recently upgraded my sub to a used RSW-12 that rocks.  My room is only 15 x 17 it this system puts out plenty of volume and quality tone for movies and music concert videos.  It will be getting a lot of use over the holidays.  I have been on the look out for a used set of RF-7 on the local Craiglis for a potential upgrade down the road.  Good luck with your system.  I am sure you will enjoy it.