Thanks for the help everyone, need a bit more

vasubandu

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Thanks that was helpful and I saw that too. But the Atmos diagrams I have seen show Atmos speakers in the back, but they seem not to show back surround speakers.  I know you need 2 on top of the towers, but the other two in the back.  Do the go on top of the surrouns speakers, beside them or do they replace them?  I may be misunderstanding the whole idea of 4 Atmos speakers, but I think the second pair go in the back.

I too am confused at that.

dolby_SpeakerPlacement_514_Upfiring-Pers

I'm assuming in the photo above, the side surrounds are both regular surround speakers and have atmos speakers firing upwards as well.  Atmos brings content from above you.  This does not replace sound coming from around you (side or back).

3 minutes ago, Youthman said:

I'm still new to Atmos but if he bought 4  Atmos Modules, where would he place the 2nd pair?

I'm not an Atmos person either but I'm open to what others are doing with this emerging technology.  Here is one picture and the other setup essentially is closely surrounding the couch.  I couldn't link from the Dolby site.

dolby_SpeakerPlacement_514.jpg

Wow and thanks for all that.  

So after all the help here, it seems to be coming together.  I think we will be happy with the bright sound of the RF-7, as long we don't mess it up.  I had a suggestion for an RC-7 center, and I kind of like the idea.  Otherwise will go with the  RC-64 ii. For surrounds,  I get the similar suggestion for the RS-7, and I will look into that or the RS-62.

I think I finally get Atmos.  They are extra speakers, either on top of the towers or in the back.  So that makes for a lot of speakers, and now I have to include the Atmos speakers in my plans.  But they have the RP-140SA and the R-14SA.  If I get this reference thing, I am going to assume that I want the R-14SA, but they are cheaper than the RP-140SA,  All very strange.

SO I guess if I went the RF-7, RC-7 and RS-7 route, it would be like back to the 70's or something, but it might work together better.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Youthman said:

As if we weren't already confused enough....take a look at this

I think you need to go for 9.1.6!  :lol:  I didn't even know there was such a thing as 6 Atmos modules.  :blink:

C'mon man, another 5 or 6 more La Scalas, add a half-dozen Atmos ceiling modules and you are up-to-date for another year. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as 6 Atmos modules

Me either.  Crazy.

1 minute ago, wvu80 said:

C'mon man, another 5 or 6 more La Scalas, add a half-dozen Atmos ceiling modules and you are up-to-date for another year. 

Isn't that the truth.  LOL

• Like 1

No see @wvu80 you are going to get me into trouble again.  A long time ago, I played in this sandbox, and it got too dang expensive.  But I never quite fit in because I was never technical about things.  I just liked what I liked.  I used to tell people that I bought sound gear to listen to music, and they bought music to listen to their sound gear. So I just want to get this home theater system right for the kids, and there is no way that I am going to replace the music speakers after that.  Except that I gave always wanted to see how planar speakers sound.

• Haha 1

And that...above, is why I refuse to get tangled up in Atmos.  I just want to enjoy my movies, jam my music, and be happy.  Besides, if the speakers are big enough, you don't need Atmos anyway..."Danish Audio Designs" Speakers anyone? lol

DAD-Oct-2016-9.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vasubandu said:

Now if I had speakers like that, I could listen to music all day long as a loud as I wanted because my wife would leave me.

I bet if you had a decorator like that, she may reconsider...IF that was the only room in the house your occupied.

If you are planning on going to atmos with the higher caliber of speakers you are planning on getting, get the higher caliber atmos speakers. The rp-140sa is a better speaker than the r-14sa. Not much more money, especially if you contact @MetropolisLakeOutfitters when buying 2 or 3 pairs at once. I have 2 pair of the rp-140sa and I love them, I think they do an excellent job.

• Like 1