RSW-15 Sub Power Supply throws in the towel.

picky

I'm totally bummed. After 13 years of perfect service, our beloved RSW15 no longer functions properly. We came home from shopping about a month ago and we could hear a strange noise in our driveway near out closed side door. We unlocked the door and the entire house seemed to be shaking. It was our sub, downstairs in our home theater, cycling uncontrollably when on standby. I shut it down, waited, powered it back on. Quiet, the red light was lit showing that it was functioning. When I played a soundtrack, the sub barely moved and was inaudible.

Bloggers have pointed me to probably a bad capacitor or two or a transistor in the sub's power supply.

Before I tear into the cabinet, any thoughts out there from our techies? Thanks in advance. -Glenn

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
Service manual is available on line. I have an electronic copy albeit on my work computer. I can email it to you if you don't want to search for it. Just send me a PM Picky. But I won't be able to send until the 26th.
Thanks, babadono: I was able to download a service manual on line.

Mine also needs repairs.  probably PS transistors. I purchased it knowing it was blown for $200Canadian.   eyes wide open. 

I gather you downloaded the service manual from hifi engine>? There is the L301 in the PS section that seems to have been repaired or replaced on mine.  Could you possible send me a picture of that L on yours?  Do you happen to have an LCR meter to measure its value as it is not given in the manual.  Would help alot.   Do you want to try to troubleshoot together?  Help each other out?

Thanks in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
Mine also needs repairs.  probably PS transistors. I purchased it knowing it was blown for $200Canadian.   eyes wide open. 
I gather you downloaded the service manual from hifi engine>? There is the L301 in the PS section that seems to have been repaired or replaced on mine.  Could you possible send me a picture of that L on yours?  Do you happen to have an LCR meter to measure its value as it is not given in the manual.  Would help alot.   Do you want to try to troubleshoot together?  Help each other out?

Thanks in advance!

I have the manual and no LCR meter. I took mine to a lab for repair. Got it back in 3 weeks. Cost $250. Plugged it in, didn't work. After a short time, it started loudly modulating again. The lab is getting it back tomorrow!

• 1 month later...

Repairing mine now.  The Indigo Bash amp is the same as in others including JBL and Infinity subs.  Some of those service manuals are more complete, including bias adjustment after mosfet replacements..  and they had the value of my burned inductor..  150uH.   Making one myself. Already found 2 Mosfets blown in the PWM power supply.   Have my parts list ready to go.