Pre amplifier for Parasound A21?

Mattsa

Hi

Would like to see if anyone here could give me a few extra ideas for a suitable preamp?

Bought a used Parasound A21 in good condition about a month ago and I really like it!

I live in Sweden and here we only have one store that carries Parasound in the whole country, although I like that particular dealer and bought stuff there before It would be nice to see if anyone on here that uses the A21 can give some feedback, good or bad about matching preamp!  :)

First my system is for two-channel only and at the moment consists of:

Klipsch Rf7ll 

2 x BK electronis Monolith subs

Parasound A21

Copland CDA823 (modded with a digital in to be used as DAC also)

Rega rp3

At the moment I have a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr as preamp.

The A3.2cr is nice, never sounds harsh and are built like a tank :) but it only have one pair of Pre-out and something tells me that there might be a better match than Parasound and Musical Fidelity?

I know that the easy way would be to buy a Parasound P5 or JC-2, unfortunately the JC-2 are out of budget and nearly never turns up on the used market here.

I used to own a P5 with a different power amp a while back and think it was good considering the price, didn't care for the on-board DAC or the Riaa-stage in the P5 since the separate ones I have was better.

I have read about Schiit Freya that seems nice, I have considered going with a tube-pre.

So if someone here that also like the A21 and heard or own something they like please let me know :)

On 12/23/2017 at 8:14 AM, Mattsa said:

Hi

Would like to see if anyone here could give me a few extra ideas for a suitable preamp?

At the moment I have a Musical Fidelity A3.2cr as preamp.

The A3.2cr is nice, never sounds harsh and are built like a tank :) but it only have one pair of Pre-out and something tells me that there might be a better match than Parasound and Musical Fidelity?

You already have a high end outstanding preamp.  I have an A3.24 cd pre, an A308CR preamp, power amp and CD Player, and had a KWP Preamp in the past.  I hate to use the term, but "tube sound" from a SS device. 

Do not get rid of the musical fidelity gear.  You will regret it. 

1 hour ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Do not get rid of the musical fidelity gear.  You will regret it. 

Thanks for your reply , yeah I like the MF and the way it's built, especially considering what I paid for it.

Just a shame they only include one pair of Pre-outs, would be nice with two wich make it easier for the subwoofers.

Just been curious what others matches Parasound with.

Also it always nice to get feedback from others to get some more information before money are spent :)

I will also work some more on speaker placement during the holidays to try to improve the widht of soundstage.

You can add a set of phono jacks to the back and solder them to the existing ones.  I did that to an A308cr that I had previously.  Very easy to do, you just need to be brave enough to drill holes in the back of the preamp.  I now have the A308 power amp which has preamp outs that I use for the sub. 

https://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-gold-rca-jack-solder-type-w-nut-pair-hex-type--091-1204

The easiest thing is to just buy some "Y" cables and attach to the preamp output. 

https://www.parts-express.com/rca-y-adapter-2-female-to-1-male--240-127

the MF gear is really good and you will be hard pressed to do better.  I like the A308 as much as the KWP and the KWP preamp  was a $12,000 reference preamp (with a silly huge aluminum remote the size of a brick).

3 hours ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

You can add a set of phono jacks to the back and solder them to the existing ones.  I did that to an A308cr that I had previously.  Very easy to do, you just need to be brave enough to drill holes in the back of the preamp.  I now have the A308 power amp which has preamp outs that I use for the sub. 

At the moment I use rca "splitters" but the best thing are to add extra terminals as you suggested, I have already had a look inside the preamp and it's not a big/difficult job :)