Now what?

vasubandu

OK you guys have been amazing so far.  I came here just to rule out Klipsch and get Definitive or SVS speakers, but you passion has persuaded me.  And so now instead of some really skinny speakers or 2-inch thick speakers attached to my wall, I am going with the 87-pound RF-7 towers, the 40-pound RC-7 center, 45 pounds of RS-7 surround speakers and 4 Atmos speakers adding a staggering 28 pounds of weight.  All told that is over 280 pounds of speakers.  A Denon AVR-X4300H was recommended to drive them, and the new TV itself will be an 82 inch Samsung UN82MU8000FXZA. And all of this will run me $4,600.  

I can hardly wait till it all arrives and the unboxing fun can begin so that I can install it.  Wait a second, what kind of idiot would spend almost $5,000 on a new home theater than then learn how to set it up by guesswork?  Well, normally I would, but I am hoping to be smarter this time, and I think I need to hire someone to do it right.  I have no idea at all how to find the right person, what it usually costs, and generally how to make it happen.

So, if you guys have some suggestions, they would be very welcome.  I live in Seattle, and if you have any specific names, please share them.  I am realizing that this is more complicated than it seems, and that there are judgment questions.  I imagine that every installation is different and tailored to the client.  I am trying to find someone who really knows what they are doing.

And just to be clear, I am not going to catch this disease and have replace my nameless speakers and music system.  You guys are crazy. The fact that I was thinking that $650 for some Martin Logan Aeon i Electrostats at Audiogon wouldn't be that much if I could something to drive it was just a pure coincidence.  It was just curiosity plain and simple.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Well, normally I would, but I am hoping to be smarter this time, and I think I need to hire someone to do it right.  I have no idea at all how to find the right person, what it usually costs, and generally how to make it happen.

You can definitely do that, but I believe learning about the hobby is part of the journey and we are here to provide guidance along the way.  I think you will appreciate it sooo much more if you set it up and calibrate it yourself.  The good thing is your receiver likely has an auto calibration software so it will do the bulk of calibration on it's own.

11 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

And so now instead of some really skinny speakers or 2-inch thick speakers attached to my wall, I am going with the 87-pound RF-7 towers, the 40-pound RC-7 center, 45 pounds of RS-7 surround speakers and 4 Atmos speakers adding a staggering 28 pounds of weight.  All told that is over 280 pounds of speakers.  A Denon AVR-X4300H was recommended to drive them, and the new TV itself will be an 82 inch Samsung UN82MU8000FXZA. And all of this will run me $4,600.  

Have you ever heard this system before?  If not, you might want to buckle your seat belt cause you my friend are in for an exciting ride!  Congratulations!

• Moderators

As mentioned, there is likely someone here on the forum that would be glad to come help you setup (we all love playing with new toys) for free.  As a nice gesture you could provide lunch or get them a gift card to their favorite restaurant.  A $50 gift card is a WHOLE lot cheaper than hiring an "Expert Installer".  Not to mention, you would likely make a new audio friend in the process.  Maybe you should change the title of this thread to "Anyone in Seattle Willing to Help Me Setup an RF-7 II System?".  It's worth at shot.

49 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Have you ever heard this system before?  If not, you might want to buckle your seat belt cause you my friend are in for an exciting ride!  Congratulations!

Uh no. I have just listened to what people said, and throught about what made sense.  I also want to preserve the whole "Gee, honey, I did not know it would shake the house like that" defense.

I appreciate you comments about learning this, and maybe I can. But some things elude  me like speaker placement. There will be a bit of a tight fit between the TV and the wall to the right. I will have space for the speaker but not much more.  I am not sure how far from the back wall it needs to do. I have no idea where the surrounds should go, bot in placement and height.  I have not checked to see if there are sources where I can read this, but I suppose I could try it and see.

When we remodeled the downstairs, the guy put in conduits for the speaker wires. Of course there is only one wire to each speaker, and with Atmos, I will need two.  We used noce fat speaker wire, so I will have to figure out how to pull the old the see if something smaller will still the job.  This is all old stuff you you guys, but a mystery for me. 

So, OK I will try this, but I am going to have to really plan it out.  

• Moderators

One step at a time.  Sometimes it's fun to start a "Build Thread" so you can journal the entire process from beginning to end.  Maybe this thread can be that?

Here is my 2nd Build Thread after buying the LaScala Trio and knew I had to completely change my front wall - https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151408-youthmans-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-version-20-begins/

pay close attention to dolbys basic setup instructions.

there is a vast difference between a no compromise well reasoned setup and one done to make the room just look good

audioholics is a wonderful site for setup also.  

height of speakers...distances from walls....and clear listening paths to all speakers are key to great surround system setups

nothing replaces trial and error.  what anybody or any site suggests does not supercede how it actually sounds

test your placements before making them permanent

mount on boxes or ladders or similar to actually hear it...then tweak it up down etc a bit and listen again

it should take a week or so of testing to get a semi permanent layout

dont be stubborn and just guess and leave it

the fun work of learning on your own is a hugely rewarding experience

goodluck and ask questions

many here such as Yman have or had exactly the same speakers and similar rooms and  can point you in the right direction

the WHY of it all is invaluable and will make you feel truly empowered

Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

Thanks @RoboKlipsch that is helpful, and I will be sure to get input.  The room itself is quite nice, at least to me.  We remodeled it with grasscloth wallpaper that completely deadens any echo, and it has great woodwork, but it is a functional room as well as my lair.  So having giant fronts won't be a problem, although one will be next to the screen and the other 3 feet away because of a door, and a massive center that sticks out from the screen won't be an issue.  Right now one surround is on the back wall and the other is in the corner. If I understand the Dolby instructions, I can do everything perfectly except the subwoofer, which now is in  my built-in  AV cabinet behind a wood grill.

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

The room itself is quite nice, at least to me.  We remodeled it with grasscloth wallpaper that completely deadens any echo, and it has great woodwork, but it is a functional room as well as my lair. 

So why haven't we seen any photos of this room?  Don't be shy...post away. 

11 hours ago, vasubandu said:

The whole why of it is what interests me. I love the physics of it.  If you think about it, it is quite remarkable that speakers were even invented and that we can replicate sound with them.

No doubt!  Even more impressive is the basic technologies are similar to what they were 50 years ago...just in some cases now better materials and more precise engineering.  

It will be a process, but learn your system.  I hooked my uncles up for him and he screws it up on the regular and can't fix it himself.  He hits the wrong button etc.  Then literally his HT is down until I can make my way to his house, sometimes a week or two.

My guess for a professional to come set up your system and cal TV it would be close to $800.  He leaves, you do something accidently, and now what.  You might come on here, but you can't explain to others what you did so they can help fix it.  It's worth the time to know, it's fun to get to know it, it feels good to not fear screwing something up, or anytime a young kid grabs your remote you gasp :-)

It's a challenge, but I have learned so much in the last 7 years, still continuing to learn every day on here and other sites.  Good luck.  Hopefully a member can help you and teach you.

Your system is pretty bad ***!

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, dmb12679 said:

My guess for a professional to come set up your system and cal TV it would be close to $800.  He leaves, you do something accidently, and now what.  You might come on here, but you can't explain to others what you did so they can help fix it.  It's worth the time to know, it's fun to get to know it, it feels good to not fear screwing something up, or anytime a young kid grabs your remote you gasp :-)

That's exactly why you should do it yourself, people here can help, it's not that hard.

Plus the more you know about it the better off you are to adjust of change in the long run.

You can do it, especially with all the help you can get here,  a little help here and there and you will understand why things are setup the way they are, ask about anything you need to figure out.

If you pay someone you have no idea what's going on, walk in and turn it on. But if something happens you have no idea what's going on or how to fix it, not good. Once set up there is not much to do unless you want to play with adjustments later, but you will at least know what's going on.

On 12/29/2017 at 7:06 AM, dmb12679 said:

Your system is pretty bad ***!

Yeah,  I know.  I am hoping that the new one will be a lot less bad.  The RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and SVS SB2 Plus will be a totally new experience.  So far, I have only the RC-7 and the SB2 Plus. The RC-7 owns the room.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Yeah,  I know.  I am hoping that the new one will be a lot less bad.  The RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 and SVS SB2 Plus will be a totally new experience.  So far, I have only the RC-7 and the SB2 Plus. The RC-7 owns the room.  

I meant your new system is bad a-ss!  the swear filter got me

Ha ha @dmb12679.  My current system should be fabulous with that it cost new and coming from Paradigm, but it just has no presence.  So I am going for presence all the way.  And this new system is really affordable for what it is.  The RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, SVS SB2 Plus, and Yamaha RX-A2060 will cost me a total of $2,900.  

The same money would get me a  RP-250F, RP-440C, RP-240S, R-112SW  system from Klipsch.  That would be stepping down from 10" to 5.25" for the fronts.  This is all completely new to me and I am very excited to see where it goes.

17 hours ago, vasubandu said:

So I am going for presence all the way.  And this new system is really affordable for what it is.  The RF-7, RC-7, RS-7, SVS SB2 Plus, and Yamaha RX-A2060 will cost me a total of $2,900.  

You will definitely have presence, as well as punch and serious impact.

17 hours ago, vasubandu said:

The same money would get me a  RP-250F, RP-440C, RP-240S, R-112SW  system from Klipsch.  That would be stepping down from 10" to 5.25" for the fronts.

Stepping down of course but in the right smallish room, that system I am sure could hold it's own.

Enjoy your toys,

Bill

• Like 1