Any Atmos experts here?

vasubandu

I have gone from considering Definitive's on-wall speakers that are less than two inches thick (RLC) to deciding to building a system with RF-7 Towers, RC-7 center and RS-7 surrounds, which seems about a opposite as things could be. I am planning to use a 4-speaker Atmos system with it, and I was planning to use the RP-140SA for that, but it dawned on me that those might be underpowered in light of the other parts of my system.  So I was hoping that some Atmos expert could tell me they would be OK or suggest something else.

I am planning to use a Denon AVR-X4300H receiver because it supports 5.1.4 Atmos, but I am not sure if there is a better idea since I am using Atmos.  Again, any thought or suggestions would be appreciated, especially about what I am doing wrong.  Matt Davis

I think you should be fine with that setup. When you run the Audyssey config, it will set the volume output for these modules. I have 2 sets of rp-140sa in my 7.2.4 setup and they work great. These channels are not overtly loud, but not subtle depending on the scene. When you get your atmos system running and if you are a fan of Pink Floyd, pick up Roger Waters The Wall on Blu-ray for a fantastic concert utilizing atmos.

My expert opinion is to buy an ATMOS capable receiver solely for its ability to process the object-based sound field bitstream, and nothing more.

Dolby and DTS companies market object based surround encoding as a highly scalable technology. Do the math, what scales up also scales down. Quite wonderfully in fact. Their 2, 3, and 5 channel down-mixes have never sounded better. :emotion-55:

If a person encounters difficulty in achieving a convincing surround field with 2 or 5 channels, throwing more speakers at the problem is not the solution.

Speaker-wise, beyond 5 channels is the point of quickly diminishing returns. Where ceiling speakers are concerned, if the building's  got 'em, smoke 'em, but I would never spec a brand new HT install based around their use.

On 12/26/2017 at 1:32 AM, Quiet_Hollow said:

Speaker-wise, beyond 5 channels is the point of quickly diminishing returns.

I've found my 7.2.4 atmos setup to be much much more immersive than regular 5.1.  Even non-atmos encoded sound tracks sound significantly better when distributed through an atmos system.  

For a killer Atmos setup use Klipsch PRO-7502-L-THX 

When install height is a problem use Klipsch CDT-5800-C you can angle the tweeter and woofer to your seating position with those.

For proper placement use the schematics on this site:

https://www.mediaelectronics.be/dolby-atmos-luidspreker-plaatsing/

This layout is compatible with every object based format.