Anyone here own heritage klipsch and auditioned current Luxman SS or Yamaha A-s2100?

jwgorman

I went to a buddy's house last night. We spun a lot of discs and listened to a Mc 402, which I would think would be a bad mix but it sounded great on old cornwalls. We may have hit 10 watts on transients. I'm not sure how the Mc is biased, so maybe his 402 never left class A? I dunno. Sounded really good though. 

He has an awesome dedicated listening room and BAT pre, PS Audio CD player and D/A converter. I was reminded how good good SS can sound. Ironically, he bought the McIntosh after I drug my MC162 over to his place and we hooked it up. 

Thinking I want to try something new with my lascallas. I've been running a Luxman SQ38u for many years and it sounds great but I want a new adventure. The luxman 550AX has MC phono as does the A-S2100. This is a requirement. Both of these pieces seem to be favorably reviewed (though not with klipsch gear) I can't swing a Mac system unfortunately. 

Though I can't attest for the Yamaha A-S2100 or the Luxman 550AX from personal experience, I have heard nothing but great things about both pieces.  I will tell you this that the Luxman gear I have owned sounded incredible with every Klipsch speaker I ever powered with them as well as the Yamaha A-S1000 that I currently own.

The Luxman 550AX is quite pricey but it's Class A and it will impart a quite bit of "warmness" that Klipsch Heritage seems to like.  The Yamaha A-S2100 should be quite neutral in sound signature with a slight lean toward warmness.  I bet you would be happy with either choice and maybe happier with the Yamaha since it will not drain your wallet as much at about 1/2 price of the Luxman.

Bill

Hey Bill, thanks for the reply. Glad to hear you're still enjoying that Yamaha. I would buy the Luxman used so it actually wouldn't be that much more than a new S2100. I suspect you are right in that both of those units probably sound great. I've done all flavors with tubes  with my Khorns and lascalas and Mcintosh Solid State amps, so part of me wants to experiment with class A SS gear on general principles! We shall see :)