Vasubandu's terrifying build thread

vasubandu

Update.  I have layouts of the empty room, the old configuration and the new configuaration.

Room dimensions

1f81dbb13d775dc1e74d9afac2b34fd709b45d39.jpg

Old layout

95722beaa48d457907c3104856133239576d59c0.jpg

New Layout

cc1fda913af7eb867efe82985c46a8e4486fa455.jpg

As you can see, we went from 16 feet away to 11 feet away. Quite the difference. Ignore the mess. My downstairs looks like a war zone  right now, but this is current.

Current State.jpg

@Ceptorman my guy with the RF-7 came back from some trip, and we are good to go.  He will bring them to me sometime next week.  He lives 200 miles away, so his offer to bundle them up and bring them was very welcome.

The last parts of the puzzle are the receiver and the TV.  My wife said that she does not think we need a new tv (60" 1080p plasma), and I have been trying to tell her how wrong she is.  There is a weird company that I have dealt with in the past that has bizarre prices on TVs, but they have sent me the three things I have ordered (not for a few years).  They have the current model LG 86 inch TV ( 86SJ9570)  for either $3,399 or $2,199.  It bounces back and forth.  If I could get that, it would be amazing. 26 more inches translates into more than twice the screen area.  I guess I could get a 75 inch, but it would add only 50% to the 60. So that is a work in progress, but I think I will pull off the 86.

On the receiver, I need to make a decision.  If you surf deep into Amazon, you can find some offers that seem impossible.  Not from Amazon itself, but from one of their marketplace vendors.  One of them claimed to have a Yamaha RX-A3060 Network AV Receiver and Yamaha PRO-300 Headphones (Black) Bundle for $500.  So I sent him an email asking him if it was for real or not, and he said yes.  The sale would go through Amazon.  I think I could get my money back even if it is a scam, and if not it would be the deal of the century for me.

So I am getting closer. I also picked up a used Harmony Elite receiver, and it is by far the best I have ever had.  Nice to have a receiver that will control the Amazon Fire TV.

This would not have been possible without the people here.

@Youthman I bought that thing in 2003 right after the Pioneer Kuro 1080p plasma came out.  At  the time, a 60 inch TV was bragging rights, and I got it for only $3,600.  But it has worked flawless and still has a great image.  I will be able to sell it for $300 to $500 because people still appreciate them. Cheapest one on eBay is $800.  It's a PDP-6010FD.  I'll still take a nice new 4K TV.

• Moderators

Oh my bad, I thought you were saying you were trying to convince your wife you needed to buy a new 60" Plasma TV.  I misinterpreted what you wrote.  I didn't realize you have a 60" Plasma and you want to upgrade it but your wife thinks it's just fine. 

16 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@Youthman I bought that thing in 2003 right after the Pioneer Kuro 1080p plasma came out.  At  the time, a 60 inch TV was bragging rights, and I got it for only $3,600.  But it has worked flawless and still has a great image.  I will be able to sell it for $300 to $500 because people still appreciate them. Cheapest one on eBay is $800.  It's a PDP-6010FD.  I'll still take a nice new 4K TV.

If it were me, I would not replace the Kuro until it gives up the ghost or until someone offers $800.00.  The Pioneer Elite Kuro was so far ahead in PQ that even today they are/were considered the standard by which all are measured against.

Bill

• Like 1

the layout looks fine

consider a few sound panels along the side wall u sit closest to

no speaker or autoeq can overcome close reflections but 2 or 3 panels would be a HUGE improvement in clarity

if WAF factor matters u can buy them with custom prints so they would be artwork

19 minutes ago, RoboKlipsch said:

consider a few sound panels along the side wall u sit closest to

The wallpaper in that room is grasscloth made with actual grass.  This photo will give you a sense of texture and size. It seems to dampen the sound a lot.  I know that there is a difference between absorbing sound and sound proofing, but it seems worthwhile to see if this might help enough.

gc.jpg

• Like 1

It has a great tropical feel with the bamboo floor and the woodwork, which is all lyptus, a tropical wood.  It was my project, and I just love the space.  Now that I have moved the TV out of the nook, and put the couch 11 feet from it instead of 16, it feels perfect or will when I clean up the debris. I figured that the bamboo floors would bounce sound all around, so I bought a cool looking 13x17 carpet on eBay for $200 delivered.  How does that even pay for shipping?  That should eliminate floor bounce anywhere in the audio room.  We did notice the room deaden a lot when the grasscloth went in.

By the way, if any of you remodel your media rooms, I highly recommend lyptus and I especially recommend solid wood lyptus doors. Lyptus is a hybrid developed by Weyerhaeuser  so it is a guilt-free topical wood and not terribly expensive.  We had these amazing doors made that must weigh 20 pounds, and there is just something about not having a hollow core door. They also keep the basement sound from going upstairs.  I think is cost us about $170 per door.  I still have the company info around here somewhere, but they are in Ohio and the price included shipping.

ly.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

At long last,  we have a 5.1 and even a 7.1 system in place that makes sense.  

Leading off in the center is our revered RC-7, perhaps the finest speaker ever made.  And for the Left and Right speakers, we have two more RC-7.  Wait, you say, that is either not possible or ridiculous.  My good friend @jjptkd had a pair of RF-7 and a pair of RC-7. So in delicate surgery that lasted until the night he transplanted the tweeters and crossovers from the RC-7 into the RF-5, careful to reorient the tweeters for their new home.  And then to avoid a tragic loss, he transplanted the tweeters and crossovers from the RF-5 into the RC-7.  And all three for $800.  A bargain as far as I am concerned. And those two mutant RC-7 now stand sentinel as my surrounds.  I still have a pair of RS-7 and am not sure how the surround thing gets worked out;. I cannot get anything to play all 7 speakers even with 7.1 content, so I must just being doing something wrong with the receiver.  It is very  confusing, and the manual is worst piece of writing I have encountered in my life.  It has network, and I hooked it up, but is has no option for a WSA passcode.  Stupidest thing I have seen in my life.  

But back to joyous times.  I am using a long subwoofer, my trusty PB2 Plus, but I have seen the light, and I want something newer.  In fact, I have been told that a blind quadriplegic monkey could make a killer subwoofer in half an hour using only items found in its pen.  I really like the round ones, so now I am off to the races with that.  I really wanted that B4 Plus that weighs 200 pounds and have 4 woofers, but I have an idea.  Maybe if I made a tube subwoofer 6 feet tall, I could get 6 or even woofers in it. Makes sense to me.  

So here it is. I put the RF-5 on small chairs because I think they sound better raised. And these are the wonderful surrounds. 

It all feels so great, and yet, something is calling to me.

p42.jpg

sur.jpg

7 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@CECAA850 the chairs are about 6 inches tall.and the tweeters are about 4 inches over my head so[ting on the couch. It was an experiment after I put the rug in. No idea where it will end up but the rug swallowed more sound than I expected.

You might try them back on the floor with the fronts tilted up slightly.  A laser pen works well in determining where they're actually pointing.

34 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Thanks @CECAA850. They actually are on stands that stick out to the sides, and I bet if I took off the back ones, it would do just that.  Thanks for the idea.  I will try it and post a picture.

I'm familiar with the legs on the RF-5's and 7's having had the 5's and still have the 7's.