Vasubandu's terrifying build thread

vasubandu

• Moderators
On 12/29/2017 at 1:44 AM, vasubandu said:

You have 3 completely different speaker systems talking to each other in your home theater. 

Not really.  Having surrounds that are different than your mains and center aren't a problem.  A long time ago, I considered adding some KPT surrounds but just about everyone said I would not benefit at all from making the switch. The RS-62 II are completely capable of keeping up with the LaScala Trio.  The RSW-15's sound awesome with the LaScalas.  I only wish they dug below 20Hz.  One day, I'll replace them with (4) 18's in an IB (Infinite Baffle) setup or possibly  horn loaded subs but horn subs typically don't go down to single digits.

@Youthman keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about.  Just an observation on my part.  Good to know about the surrounds.  

I keep reading about subs going below 20Hz, but lots are rated to 16 or so.  Is there a difference between the rating and really getting it? Where can I see what subs really do it?

@Youthman Manufacturer ratings or third party?  According to the SVS site for the PB 12 Plus

Freq. Response | 18-250 Hz ± 3 dB (20 Hz mode) 
16-250 Hz ± 3 dB (16 Hz mode) 

I am not even sure what the modes are.   The homesheaterforum.com review from 2003 said

Three ports open and the SS filter set to 25 Hz provides excellent in-room extension to about 22 Hz. While this tune doesn't provide the deepest extension, it does offer maximum output capability, and is recommended for large rooms and/or very high playback levels on DVD.

My favorite tune for sensible (i.e., moderately loud) playback levels is three ports open and the SS filter set to 16 Hz. This configuration provides a strong response in the 20-22 Hz region, utilizes all available port area, and provides good extension to 15 Hz.

Plugging a port and setting the SS filter to 20 Hz provides very strong extension to 15 Hz, and setting the SS filter to 16 Hz further improves extension to about 13 Hz. If you're a real bottom dweller and maximum output is not your first priority, two ports plugged with the SS filter set to 16 Hz provides a still-rising curve all the way to 11 Hz!

It also warns

It should be noted that "non-conventional" tune configurations increase the potential for bottoming the drivers at extreme levels, so take appropriate and sensible precautions when running the PB2-Plus in these states of tune. If you are shooting for maximum SPL in a large room, SVS strongly recommends three ports open and the SS filter set to 25 Hz, or two ports open and the SS filter set to 20 Hz. These two tune configurations offer the best combination of high output, extension, and woofer protection at extreme levels. 

The "Bypass" setting completely disables the subsonic filter. This setting has the highest potential for bottoming the drivers from subsonic signal content. With the incredible extension available with two ports plugged and the SS filter set to 16 Hz, I can’t envision a situation where the Bypass setting would provide any additional benefit. 

This review has charts that I do not understand

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/svs-pb2-ultra-subwoofer-9-2004.html

Does this literally mean that that SB2 will go down to 16 or even 11Hz?

• Moderators

" Vasubandu is kind of a funny name for me here.  Vasubandhu was a 6th Century Buddhist philosopher/Bodhisattva and wise beyond words.  No one in their right mind would say that about me.  "

I don't know about that, your smart enough to take your time, asking questions and doing it right which saves money in the long run compared to just buying and replacing later.

This is smart, many people here have been trying different combinations and knows what works well together. This helps others from making mistakes and saves people money, people here have helped many including me not waste money which I don't have to spare. Plus both of my setups are way better than if I had never got help from people on this forum. 

You said it's really for the family but wait until you hear it, your going to be right there with them enjoying it, good sound adds more to a movie than you could realize.

Thanks @dtel I really get my enjoyment out of putting things together for the wife and kids, but you are right.  So far, all I have is the center (RC-7) and subwoofer, but I already marvel at the difference in the sound.  Of course a center with 8 inch woofers will do that.  I could never do this without the help people here have given me.  What a wonderful group.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Youthman said:

And that’s how you do it.

That is a great deal, kind of a Youthman deal, and that's a good thing.

Vasubandu,  your going to end up with a great system, a smart way to put one together. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, dtel said:

That is a great deal, kind of a Youthman deal, and that's a good thing.

Well....I did pick up wakejunkie’s RF-7’s for $50 LOl.  But $400 for RS-7’s is still a good buy. I just tend to find deals at ridiculous prices.  

• Moderators
3 hours ago, vasubandu said:

This has become one of the most enjoyable and engaging things I have done in years.

And you are really not sure what your going to have in the end as far as sound goes, you and your family will be happy when they hear it.

I am rearranging the room this weekend so I can put everything in place.  I assume that the surrounds just point straight out.  I picked up some large shelf brackets for the surrounds.  I could just put them on the brackets or put a board on top of the brackets and then the surrounds on the board.  I will play with height before I do, but one side has to be very high.  I assume that I want them at the same height and aimed level, not down.  

The 850 is a bigger project than I hoped.  It turns off within 5 minutes with nothing connected to it, so internal. Well, I have sicced the kids on it.  We shall see.  

@Youthman I am glad that you live as far away from me as possible.  I have been looking at "solds" in the local market and some audio stuff sells for a tiny fraction of its value.  If a guy stayed on top of it, who knows what would come up.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I am glad that you live as far away from me as possible.  I have been looking at "solds" in the local market and some audio stuff sells for a tiny fraction of its value.  If a guy stayed on top of it, who knows what would come up.

Yeah, it's probably a good thing because if you came over and heard the LaScala Trio, you might be trying to figure out how to squeeze 3 of them in your home theater too.  LOL

@Youthman I still might.  I mean if they are any good, then they ought to work in a home theater system.  That is, after all, the highest and best use of speakers, right?

My next system, except I would have a much bigger TV and MUCH bigger subwoofers.  

Image result for la scala home theater

With apologies to @o0O Bill O0o

Then again, maybe I will go in a different direction

klipschorn theater

With really big apologies to @john toon

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Youthman said:

Well....I did pick up wakejunkie’s RF-7’s for $50 LOl.

But you are the original Youthman and it is Wakejunkie.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:31 PM, vasubandu said:

keep in mind that I don't know what I am talking about. 

I love that line, probably should steal it and start every post with it. :D

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

My next system, except I would have a much bigger TV and MUCH bigger subwoofers.  

Sounds like your describing Youthmans setup.

33 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

Then again, maybe I will go in a different direction

You don't want to do that, the 3 identical speakers in that pic are hard to find.

Oops, I have encountered a physical problem that I did not anticipate.  On the left side, my surrounds really cannot go back any farther than where we will sit.  The wall is open on both sides, so I do not think that should be a huge problem.

Directly to the right is a wall with a vent running along the top and intruding into the space.  So there is a 9x15" box in the upper corner of that wall.  The vent comes from behind the couch and ends exactly where the back of the couch will be.  So the vent dies not exist directly to the right of the couch.  However the wall moves in 8 inches where the vent ends.  So if I place my RS-7 directly to the right of the couch, then it would be next to a 7-inch section of wall sticking straight out, and it looks to me like the angled portion of the RS-7 would bounce off the wall.  I could move it over a foot or so, but then the right surround would be a foot in front of me.  

Am I splitting hairs, or does this matter.  I am inclined to move the right surround a foot forward and just deal with it.  They would not be parallel at that point and I am not sure if it matters.

Well, I finally have everything that I have sort of set up so we had a very preliminary test run.  Speaker wires not organized, and still no RF-7, but progress. It sounds so much better than before.  I used my Paradigm subwoofer for a second, but saw no difference.  I need to move the TV to the right to give the speaker some space and separation.  but overall a night and day difference.

22.jpg

11.jpg

• Like 1