Blown Tweeter.....

SWL

21 hours ago, DizRotus said:

FWIW, my experience is exactly the opposite.  I frequently blew T35s in the 70s in my mobile DJ biz, but never a woofer.  In those days, a phone call to EV in Buchanan, MI would get a replacement diaphragm and invoice (less than $20) in the mail.  Those days are gone forever.

Yep, I totally agree.

When I was younger & dumber, I didn't know what to do so I lugged my EV Interface D (with blown ST-350 which I think uses the same motor as the T-35)

Anyway, the speaker was ballpark 120 pounds, grunted it into the back of my car and drove it about 2 hours away to a service center.  Left it there for (don't remember) a week or three?  Went back & picked it up.

Later in life, I realized it's a lot easier to deal with that little 4 pound tweeter than the entire box!!

I've blown a couple tweeters but never ever a woofer nor midrange.

• Like 1

I had a fun night years back with my old '30's had 675 watts a channel driving them and blew 1 tweeter, 1 mid, over-extended and froze one woofer (ended up being blown) and caused multiple splits in another woofer. We drank so much that night I didn't realize the speakers were damaged until 2 days later when my headache went away enough to power the stereo back up and it sounded horrible.. :mellow: 

I was lucky to find 2 stock woofers on eBay and replaced both mids and tweeters to be safe, my brother has them now. He drives them with a Carver TFM-45 (375x2) and if you really crank it up speakers will let out a "pop" sound but you really have to push them well beyond reasonable volumes to get them to do that. He's had that setup for a few years now and thrown some big get togethers  where the stereo was cranked for hours and has never blown any drivers (knocks on wood.) 

• Like 1

" (with blown ST-350 which I think uses the same motor as the T-35) "

St350 had a bigger magnet, same diaphragm. What your dealer should have sold you was a pair of the STR tweeter protectors. The ST350B used two stacked square magnets (as used in the K77).

IMG_15041.JPG

Big ring magnet version.

img3380_130924.jpg

Stacked square magnet version.

857585-electrovoice-str-tweeters-protect

The EV drivers with the 1-1/4" coils usually use a 0.5A PTC to protect them in their factory crossovers.

The Speaker Exchange crossover shows a pair of 211-2 lamps in parallel, way too much current. One 211-2 would be more appropriate. The #1141 looks to be a better choice.

#211-2  I^2=1 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1" coils
#1141   I^2=2 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1-1/4" ~ 1-1/2"coils
#1156   I^2=4 works well with 8Ω drivers with 1-3/4" ~ 2"coils

Edited by _djk_ - December 22 2011 at 4:02am
  • Like 1

Got the new titanium tweeter diaphragms today from Bob. After about 15 minutes of installation, we're back in business.[emoji106]

Breaking them in as we speak with a 500 watt Crown K2. Maybe I should do it right and speed up the process with the amp sitting right next to it.....a Crown Macrotech 3600vz, 1200 watts @ 8 ohms. Let's see if we can get er up to 170db. I'll let you know how that turns out.....[emoji5]

Here's the one that fried.....

8af27a6ae074f1468a3f23c7e0de84d9.jpgcf1528d8587bdfcb2ea58e8aa7134796.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SWL said:

Got the new titanium tweeter diaphragms today from Bob. After about 15 minutes of installation, we're back in business.emoji106.png

Breaking them in as we speak with a 500 watt Crown K2. Maybe I should do it right and speed up the process with the amp sitting right next to it.....a Crown Macrotech 3600vz, 1200 watts @ 8 ohms. Let's see if we can get er up to 170db. I'll let you know how that turns out.....emoji5.png

By the way, did Bob modify his crossovers to lower the tweeter crossover point or are they equivalent to stock but with just better parts?  Might want to take a look at the crossover values just to be sure.  If dropped for smoother response,  a fast cut off like a fuse may be in order.

8 minutes ago, SWL said:

I emailed Bob and he responded promptly. He said that no modification is necessary for the klf 30 titanium tweeter diaphragms.

SWL,

I was talking about the crossover and not the tweeter.  The Ti diaphragm doesn't require crossover changes.  

So Bob just copies the Klipsch crossover and uses better components?  No changes to the crossover points or slopes are done on his new crossovers?  Just trying to account for why his Ti would fail over the poly.  

A change in slope or crossover point (shallower slope or lower crossover point) could stress the Ti diaphragm more than the stock crossover (or even an out of spec component such as a cap).

I find it odd to have the failure as I think you have had those KLFs a while,  unless you changed your listening habits or the diaphragm was suspect to begin with or can't handle the power of the Klipsch version.

Yes, it was a change in listening habits. I was experimenting with some unbalanced to balanced converters and got carried away.

I was in awe of how much power the 30's could put out and kept pushing the limits.