FS: RF-7’s, RC-7, RS-7’s - Black Ash

Kriton

30 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@Fenderplayer Roadie.com has "fits in a pickup" from Knoxville to Houston for $248.  Fits in a hatchback or SUV is $223.  If I could get them delivered to me by someone in an SUV instead of being tossed round in a  truck,  for $223, that would be a no brainer.  RF-7, RC-7, RS-7 for $1,350? Hell yeah. 

I think the 1100 for the set price is without the RS-7's.  

Yes.  I understand the set is the RF-7 pair and RC-7 center.  I can used my existing RF-3 or RB-5 for surrounds.  Didn't really need the RS-7 surrounds.  While I'm sure the RS-7 are good, they wouldn't really work as well in my room layout / setup.

Let me look up the shipping info discussed and I'll let you know what I find.

The roadie site looks very promising.  Much less hassle then pallet shipping.  Will obviously buy some insurance on the shipment.  I think the $250 cost is very reasonable.  It would be a very tough drive to make and on such a short turnaround.

Kritton:  Are you up for doing a transaction like this?  Would you accept Paypal for payment?

Thanks

James

Just a word of caution in regards to shipping (have seen it a few times here on the forum) The weight of the drivers / magnets can cause wrinkling of the cones if they get bounced around. You might consider removing them and boxing separately.

I can't remember who had problems but I think @Youthman may have been one of them.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, TasDom said:

Just a word of caution in regards to shipping (have seen it a few times here on the forum) The weight of the drivers / magnets can cause wrinkling of the cones if they get bounced around. You might consider removing them and boxing separately.

I can't remember who had problems but I think @Youthman may have been one of them.

Good luck!

Is that why so many RF-7 and RC-7's and others with similar drivers regularly have wrinkles and dents in them?  Is this a problem with other speakers as well as far transport? 

Yikes, you guys make shipping sound a lot scarier than I realized.  When I checked into the roadie site, my understanding was that the driver would work with the shipper on any special needs such as placement, etc.  There are 2 other sites like it, dolly.com and grabr.com but they do not have the reach.  If this pans out, it might actually make shipping big speakers feasible. I think I am about the ship a CF-3 to @EpicKlipsch in Gernany by air freight.  Should I be thinking about removing woofers?  I have no idea how to.

Is this a regular occurrence related to just the RF-7 series 1 / RC-7?  I am shocked that it would be a problem.  Can't believe Klipsch would engineer something that way.  I would guess it would be affecting more speakers or just something about the driver design on these models.

I have been looking at Craigslist in Houston, Dallas, & Austin very regularly and don't see these come available.

I think that removing the drivers would be a lot of hassle and I certainly would not expect the seller / shipper to deal with that.  If that's what it takes then I would just have to wait for a local sale to come up or check out the RP models coming out this fall.  I like the new RF-7 series but $3600 is a lot of money for 2 speakers.  I've been somewhat content with the RF-3s.  I can always turn the volume up for more sound.  My listening area is only about 15 x 13.  I also have and RSW-12 that keeps pictures on the wall crooked.  :lol:

Wow, lots of responses.

To clarify, offered the set...no bites.  So when approached to sell rears only, I accepted.  In process of finding boxes and packing.  Preferred to sell as a set, of course, but there it is...

Now concerned about a wrinkled driver if I ship these things, any of them.

Not trying to refute at all, but how did I get my RF7’s shipped to me, if the driver wrinkling issue was a problem with shipping? Of course the drivers were not removed, and there was no support film or anything? I could remove drivers but that would quadruple time and cost. Perhaps shipping on their backs, drivers up?

Not sure what’s next...someone come get the fronts and center, I will show you knoxville while you are here? Make a trip of it, good scotch, pipe of some Latakia blend and a pair of perfect speakers cheap.  How friggin sexy is that?

@Kriton I am no expert but I have seen a lot of shipped RF-7 in my search for one. As you say, they ship them in the first instance, and are shipping RF-7 iii every day.  Hard to see why they can't take another trip.  There is a pair of RF-7 i in Glendale AZ for $800, but most I saw were priced and sold for around $1,000.  I paid $400 for my RC-7, and I usually see them sell for $4-- to $600 with a strong emphasis on $400.  You might want to offer that through usaudiomart.com and the usual channels.  If you sold it, then maybe you could offer a screaming deal on the RF-7.  Just thinking out loud here because I have been doing so many alternatives in my mind searching for a set.

3 hours ago, Fenderplayer said:

Is this a regular occurrence related to just the RF-7 series 1 / RC-7?  I am shocked that it would be a problem.  Can't believe Klipsch would engineer something that way.

Klipsch didn't design their speakers to be sent FedEx or UPS and handled by their gorillas.  They were shipped freight, usually on a pallet.

5 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

They were shipped freight, usually on a pallet.

Not their new ones.  UPS I presume or maybe FedEx.  I am not in any way disagreeing with you, more questioning how speakers are shipped these days.  Couldn't they make some kind of device to hold them in place despite shaking that the customer could remove?

I sold the RF-7's back in the day and the installers loaded them on trucks all the time - ZERO issues. If you know basic driver design, there's hardly any weight on a cone driver and it's well supported.

Unless someone can strap one into a truck, go bouncing down the road and demonstrate damage, I'm calling this myth: busted.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, mimalmo said:

I sold the RF-7's back in the day and the installers loaded them on trucks all the time - ZERO issues. If you know basic driver design, there's hardly any weight on a cone driver and it's well supported.

Unless someone can strap one into a truck, go bouncing down the road and demonstrate damage, I'm calling this myth: busted.

They don’t break from driving, they break when someone drops them on the ground. It’s called the law of inertia. Objects that are in motion tends to stay in motion especially when the baskets are made of plastic and the magnets are extremely heavy LOLThey don’t break from driving, they break when someone drops them on the ground. It’s called the law of inertia. Objects that are in motion tends to stay in motion especially when the baskets are made of plastic and the magnets are extremely heavy LOL

Check out this thread https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/105566-weird-damage-to-rc-64/

• Like 1

The cone is suspended from the basket by the surround. The back of the cone is suspended by the spider. The voice coil of the speaker sits inside the gap of the magnet. There is no connection directly between the magnet and the cone. The magnet is mounted to the basket, not the cone, there is space (air) between the magnet and the windings of the voice coil. If the voicecoil is touching anything in the magnetic gap, you'll hear a scratching sound (blown drivers make this noise).

The only thing a drop can cause is packing material to slam into the cone. The magnet is not a factor at all unless the magnet is completely breaking off the basket and rolling around inside the box.