Cap Question

lucky5115

17 hours ago, Alexander said:

So in theory the high end polys that have voltage ratings up there in 600-1200v will never get cleared?

It doesn't work that way. Regardless of the voltage rating, it takes the same amount of power to clear a flaw, typically around .150 joules -- and if it takes one thousandths of a second to clear the flaw, that translates to about 150 watts. One has to wonder if the caps used in the high pass section are ever cleared -- I honestly don't know the answer, nor do I really know how big of a deal it really is.

Inexpensive metalized types don't sound as good as their more expensive counterparts, especially the true film types. What I do know is that those closely tied to the capacitor industry, don't use metalized capacitors for audio unless they have to (size and cost considerations).

A Type A filter uses two capacitors. Damn, you can afford to splurge a little. Why use something that straight out tells you it has "flaws" in it?

8 minutes ago, Deang said:

A Type A filter uses two capacitors. Damn, you can afford to splurge a little. Why use something that straight out tells you it has "flaws" in it?

Remember I have lowly forte II's :) and in the ALK network being built we use a bunch more component's than an OEM network.

It does bring up yet another question - in a basic "re cap" of an OEM network, re using all of the remanding components - would one still pursue say Audyn Plus caps? This may vary I would guess with say a  La Scala vs a Heresy II. In this case of my forte II's we would need 4 x 1.5uF, 2x 2.0uF and something for the 2x 110uF NPE's

None the less I will be going to go the Audyn Plus route after some time with the Standard Zcaps  I already have. Looking around they are about 3x the cost of the Jantzens but is doable in time. And yes there are also caps out there with well over $100 price tag per piece.

I don’t recommend purchasing caps soley based on cost. I spent considerable time on humble homemade hi-fi reading thru all of his reviews to find the caps that fit the sound signatures I wanted from my speakers. then widdled down that list by finding reviews on different forums from people who have used those particular caps. at the end there was 2-3 contenders, then it was about price and availability 

29 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Going middle of the road with my H2s but should still better than what was in there.  $120.00 delivered for 8 caps.

Why Carl, that's only an average of $15 per cap!  Hardly middle of the road.  Expect Dean to jump in here any time.  Shame, shame.

34 minutes ago, edmjm said:

I don’t recommend purchasing caps soley based on cost. I spent considerable time on humble homemade hi-fi reading thru all of his reviews to find the caps that fit the sound signatures I wanted from my speakers. then widdled down that list by finding reviews on different forums from people who have used those particular caps. at the end there was 2-3 contenders, then it was about price and availability 

Agreed. Unfortunately, however, Jupiter caps match my desired sonic signatures and cost $$.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Going middle of the road with my H2s but should still better than what was in there.  $120.00 delivered for 8 caps.

Care to share what you will be using? I do understand that there will be some cap brands/models that will be better than others - even at a lower price point for the "same cap" . It is just that some of us have not learn the secret of what is what yet. That is were we green horns call on you guys in hopes for a bit of guidance.

2 minutes ago, Alexander said:

Care to share what you will be using? I do understand that there will be some cap brands/models that will be better than others - even at a lower price point for the "same cap" . It is just that some of us have not learn the secret of what is what yet. That is were we green horns call on you guys in hopes for a bit of guidance.

Jantzen for the woofer circuit and ClarityCap for the squawker and tweeter circuits.

patience was the key for me thaddeus. I too chose the jupiters for my dac & was stunned by the price. but I was determined so I saved up & waited. about 4 months later partsconnection had them 25% off & that’s when I jumped. so glad I did because they are everything described & more. brought my dac to a whole new level. I think they set me back $200 & they’re worth every penny 

by the way, those heresys’ are stunning.

if they were mine I’d do away with that little crossover & see if I could replace it with an ALK or crites crossover & get new speaker connecters that could let you use spade or bananna plug cables

1 hour ago, edmjm said:

by the way, those heresys’ are stunning.

if they were mine I’d do away with that little crossover & see if I could replace it with an ALK or crites crossover & get new speaker connecters that could let you use spade or bananna plug cables

Thanks.  They'll take banana connectors as is.  My rework of the crossovers will be better than stock and light years better than the 33 year old caps that are in there now.

• Like 1