One extremely nice sub or two very nice subs?

wuzzzer

On 12/28/2017 at 1:41 AM, jason str said:

SVS does not even supply a 1Watt/1Meter chart to make an educated decision for purchase, kind of deceptive if you ask me.

It's interesting that you think that providing this spec is the norm on self powered subs that have an on-board DSP and amp.  

14 hours ago, jason str said:

It is the normal way to judge any subwoofer.

Can you even name one other active sub that provides this?  Don't point to a passive one.  This spec is meaningless on an active sub with an internal DSP.  If it's the norm and SVS is being shady for not providing it there ought to be a ton of them.  

2 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Can you even name one other active sub that provides this?  Don't point to a passive one.  This spec is meaningless on an active sub with an internal DSP.  If it's the norm and SVS is being shady for not providing it there ought to be a ton of them.  

Its only meaningless if you don't know what you are looking at. 

Here is your one. >link<

2 hours ago, jason str said:

Its only meaningless if you don't know what you are looking at. 

Here is your one. >link<

Are you looking at those charts or something?  You think that little 15 in sealed mode would naturally only have a 3 db drop from 32 hz to 16 hz with no extra power applied?  You don't think the DSP making the amp work harder has anything to do with that?  Even an Ultimax 18 with an Fs below 20 hz drops 12 db over that range in a typical 4 cubic foot box and we are to believe that this is the natural response of that Hsu at 1 watt with no DSP, even though it's showing you how the different EQ settings affect the output?  

18 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Are you looking at those charts or something?  You think that little 15 in sealed mode would naturally only have a 3 db drop from 32 hz to 16 hz with no extra power applied?  You don't think the DSP making the amp work harder has anything to do with that?  Even an Ultimax 18 with an Fs below 20 hz drops 12 db over that range in a typical 4 cubic foot box and we are to believe that this is the natural response of that Hsu at 1 watt with no DSP, even though it's showing you how the different EQ settings affect the output?  

You asked for a chart on an active sub, i gave you an example.

At least the provided information is useful to determine basic efficiency and more, the SVS chart is useless if you don't list a voltage with the provided information.

2 hours ago, jason str said:

You asked for a chart on an active sub, i gave you an example.

No I asked for something that shows 1 watt at 1 meter like you claim is the norm.  Still waiting.  I don't even see voltage at all listed on any.  

PB-2000 CEA 2010 Results (2 meter RMS)

• 20Hz      103.8 dB
  • 25Hz      107.6 dB
  • 31.5Hz   109.6 dB
  • 40Hz      110.1 dB
  • 50Hz      110.5 dB
  • 63Hz      111.5 dB

Bassaholic Roomsize Rating: Large

Source: About.com Stereos from Brent Butterworth Testing

Bassaholic MediumSB-2000 CEA 2010 Results (2 meter RMS)

20Hz      92.1 dB

25Hz      97.1 dB

31.5Hz   102.8 dB

40Hz      108.3 dB

50Hz      108.9 dB

63Hz      109.2 dB

Bassaholic Roomsize Rating: Medium

Source:  About.com Stereos from Brent Butterworth Testing

1 hour ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

No I asked for something that shows 1 watt at 1 meter like you claim is the norm.  Still waiting.  I don't even see voltage at all listed on any.  

1 watt/ 1 meter half space is the industry standard measurement. Good catch. There is no voltage listed there, that chart is deceiving as well.

I  have to say that I find all this funny in a way.  I want to get audio equipment to listen to my music and watch movies.  I have run across people who buy music and movies to listen to and watch their equipment.  It's as if their measurements are just a bit short, they agonize over it.  I am not saying that anyone here is like that, but in the end, isn't is just preference and how it sounds to us?  

Reminds me of cooking.  I read recipes and then never use them.  I just use it as a guideline to make what I want.  A great check could always say that I have too much of this or too little of that, but I don't care.  Just looking for something that I like.

I guess I would also compare to wine.  30 years ago, the difference between a mediocre bottle of wine and a good one was huge.  And the the difference between good and great was just as big.  But they have gotten so good with the process that a cheap bottle today compares favorably to a very good one years ago.  Of course, the greats always stick out, and I amsure that is true in audio equipment as well. But now we have people putting together DIY subwoofers that rival the best made, and the general quality seems to have risen (or lowered with the cheaper parts ad lighter weights). But I think that the "good enough" level has come way down for wine and perhaps audio equipment as well.

Bear in mind that I know very little about audio, so I might be dead wrong about all this.  Most a suspicion than a statement.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Dang, I just learned that there is a PB2 Plus Ultra out there too.  Not sure what the difference is, but supposedly it is significant.  Always something new.

If you are referencing the PB12/2 Ultra they are few and far between out in the wild.  I tried for a year to get a couple and it never happened . PB12/2 plus much more common. I personally have only seen maybe two come up in five or six years.