One extremely nice sub or two very nice subs?

wuzzzer

On 1/3/2018 at 4:25 PM, vasubandu said:

@Ljk any method that involves crawling around on the floor works for me.  Maybe my wife will help me.

There are a couple of Youtube vids on the sub crawl.  Here's one of them:

The theory behind the advantages of multiple subs:

5 hours ago, vasubandu said:

@wvu80 at least that answers a question I was not going to ask - does the sub actually sit on the couch? Mine might break it.

I think you have one of two options; sit on the couch and move the sub to various locations, or put the sub on the couch and scoot on your butt to various locations.  FYI I have done neither, and this is why.

Speaking of dual subs all of the pictures I have seen shows them in fairly standard positions.  Most common is at the front, inside the speakers.  I have also heard of people putting dual speakers outside the speakers in corners.

I have read that the ideal placement of dual subs in front center and rear center.  I have my single sub located 13' front the L/C/R behind my couch.  The sound from a sub under 80 Hz is omni-directional.  The main reason for using 80 Hz as a crossover point is because if the sub is set any higher than that you can hear human voices coming out of the sub, a less than pleasant sound.

The main reason I would move the sub to various locations is if I felt my main listening position (MLP) had some boomieness (peak) or was abnormally low (null).  I have heard mostly boominess if I am a room away from the speakers.  The speaker sound gets low and I can hear the sub booming one note.  It doesn't bother me, I offer that just as an observation.

I might suggest setting your subs up front and center inside the speakers and if you don't like the sound, feel free to change things around until they sound right to you. 

You will have Audyssey in your Marantz 6011 if that is what you get, let Audyssey set things up for you initially and see how it sounds.  Not everybody is a fan of Audyssey, but I am.  It makes my speakers and sub all play nice together. 

@wvu80 that is all very practical and sound advice, which I will follow.  I am a big fan of "good enough" and am unlikely to spend hours looking for the perfect subwoofer sound.  At the same time, you crack me up because I thought audiophiles were not content unless they were fussing with some aspect or another of their system to make it just a little bit better.  I say that half in jest, but I think that everyone who develops an expertise gets some enjoyment out of exercising it.  My last speakers did not move for 10 years, and these new ones will be good for a few years once it is all set up.

• Like 1

What I have discovered through much trial and error is that what sounds awesome for HT may not sound so great for music.  I don't mind a little boominess when I am viewing high impact action movies but for music, stereo or multichannel, that is just not an option.  Try to find a good compromise for HT and music or use different settings on your AVR, subwoofer controls, or other sub EQ options.  

Bill

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2018 at 4:22 PM, wvu80 said:

I have little experience with subs.

Hi @wvu80 ... hoping to get some advise ... especially since you "know" the Dayton Audio kits :)

Have not used subs much ... had a 12" JBL with a plate amp; great for movies horrible for music :( Then, got a 4cuft box off CraigsList, put a 12" M&K in it and a (?200W?) Rythmic plate amp. Lot more musical, but not "great." So, was looking ... bottle of wine and I bought a Dayton Audio SA1000 off US-Audio Mart (mostly because of your suggestion "cheaper than buying 2 plate amps" :) )  Also found these Dayton Audio 15" boxes with Dayton Ultimax drivers (  https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-ultimax-subwoofer-and-cabinet-bundle--300-7097 ). Was looking at 18" ones, but think it might be "overkill" for my setup as I have KPT904's as my "mains."

Don't think my wife will like another "black box" (or a pair) in the room so believe I better put walnut veneer on them :)  But, the only way I can "veneer" them nicely is to turn these "Front-Firing" subs into "Down-Firing" subs. The web is full of yes/maybe/no opinions on this. 

Sincerely appreciate your opinion ... and of course anyone else's.

Many Thanks, Emile