One extremely nice sub or two very nice subs?

wuzzzer

for basically a Cornwall footprint, you could be using a THT LP firing off ceilings in corners and blow away all these direct radiator breeze flappers.
Claude.....you got your THTLP's up and running yet?

I was telling the OP that this is the direction I went as well.....and haven't looked back.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, SWL said:

Claude.....you got your THTLP's up and running yet?

Not yet. I'm buying a house, so won't install until I move. LR is smaller and I'll have to tame a 70 Hz. peak from Simulation, but I will have flat bass. I will only have room for 3 for HT,  so the OThorn will go downstairs to work with the Super Heresy II's with the 2 channel system in the photo studio.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Not yet. I'm buying a house, so won't install until I move. LR is smaller and I'll have to tame a 70 Hz. peak from Simulation, but I will have flat bass. I will only have room for 3 for HT,  so the OThorn will go downstairs to work with the Super Heresy II's with the 2 channel system in the photo studio.

IOW, going from an 18x25 foot loft within an 18x 45 x 14 ft. High space does have it's SEVERE sonic consequences. However, it takes WAY LESS power to pressurise a smaller room, so I will have more power headroom than ever in my amplifiers. I'm also thinking of selling my terrific Crown FANLESS K2's (I still have one unused in the original box) since I may need 6 dbW less power in a much smaller space. After all, I don't want to blow apart the structural integrity of the house just for special effects in movies, LOL. Whether tapped or full, Horns RULE!!

IOW, going from an 18x25 foot loft within an 18x 45 x 14 ft. High space does have it's SEVERE sonic consequences. However, it takes WAY LESS power to pressurise a smaller room, so I will have more power headroom than ever in my amplifiers. I'm also thinking of selling my terrific Crown FANLESS K2's (I still have one unused in the original box) since I may need 6 dbW less power in a much smaller space. After all, I don't want to blow apart the structural integrity of the house just for special effects in movies, LOL. Whether tapped or full, Horns RULE!!
What amp are you gonna replace the K2 with for the THTLP's? Gotta say..... I love my K2 powering my mains but when it comes to powering the Tubas, the EP4000 wins every time.

Not what I expected. I expected the K2 to be superior in this dept but the EP4000 gets it done. Cheap.

38 minutes ago, SWL said:

I'd line all my walls with these Tubas if I could.....

I can and I will. The simulations look great. It's cheaper and WAY more efficient than a "room full of 18's" and kilowatt amplifiers (or, gasp, direct radiator 12's full of DISTORTION). When I see all these guys drooling over ported boxes with 12" that cost over a grand, I only ask.............................what could you be doing with your room corners to make great sub bass?? Cheaper, more EFFICIENT, ultra low distortion ( a few percent). Besides this entire forum is KLIPSCH..........which is all about horns anyhow.

@DizRotus but why?  I thought subs were supposed to fill the room from any location.  And if 2 is better, how about 4?  I ask that only partly in jest.  And now, with just one sub, I am trying to figure out where to put it.  My PB2 Plus has ports on the back.  I have no idea how far from a wall to put it and whether I should back it to a corner or to an expanse of wall than continues another 15 feet.  Could I put it in the center and then put my center speaker on it?  And yes, I am looking for a second, but I want a PB12 Ultra/2 for it, and they are hard to find.

While a single sub can be placed almost anywhere, due to the apparent omni-directionality of bass, some spots are better than others for smooth balanced output.  Multiple subs make it easier to overcome specific room anomalies.

In my experience, the second sub was a huge improvement over a single sub.  The bass was more balanced in the small space.  Even the mids and highs seemed better after the second sub was put in.  The second sub did not improve the extension but it did permit higher SPL without sounding overworked.  Honestly, the third and fourth subs improved things, but not nearly as dramatically as going from one to two.

Has ha @DizRotus, I take it that you actually have 4 subwoofers?  Enough people here have recommended two that I am convinced.  It may just take a while to find a match.  Had a great long conversation with the guy at SVS, and he recommended an SB12 Plus/2 for me, which seemed kind of odd since they don't sell them anymore.  He also said that I should have them match and that a PB2 Plus is the same as a PB12 PLus/2.

Headroom will not only give you effortless bass, it will make your mids and highs sound better. Smoother, cleaner and downright more pleasing to listen to.

The anti-subwoofer crowd doesn't get this. They think it's all about 'boom-boom'. It is not....and more and more guys are finally coming around to accepting what a properly tuned sub can do. Horn loaded subs make it much easier in this regard. Especially for two-channel listening. I think for HT you can go either way. HT is a piece of cake dialing in a sub. Two-channel is much more difficult to get right.