One extremely nice sub or two very nice subs?

wuzzzer

13 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Yes @wvu80 but I hope that I am on the path to two good subs.  At least every review I have found is crazy about the PB2 Plus and PB12 Ultra/2.  By all means, let me know if you think I am headed in the wrong direction.

You are on a good path.  The sub you are looking at is fantastic by all accounts (I have never heard one) and you are looking at a pair of really nice subs.

I might clarify, you are looking for two GOOD subs.  My opinion on the subject is focused at the lower end, two cheap subs instead of one good sub.  If I could buy a pair of $250 subs or a single $500 sub, in this instance I would take the single $500 sub.  Your budget is adequate to pick up two high quality subs. 

You never regret buying quality.  B)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I might clarify, you are looking for two GOOD subs. 

@wvu80 out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a great sub?  The SVS models peak at the SB16 Ultra.  I assume that there are more rarified subs with 36 inch drivers out there or something.  Money being no object, where would you go?

28 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

@wvu80 out of curiosity, what would you consider to be a great sub?  The SVS models peak at the SB16 Ultra.  I assume that there are more rarified subs with 36 inch drivers out there or something.  Money being no object, where would you go?

I have little experience with subs.  I own a 10" paradigm with 150 wpc amp, a Klipsch RW-12d (a $350 sub) with a 300 watt amp, and a DIY 15" sealed sub w/500 watt plate amp, all of which I run one at a time with various systems.

My Dayton Audio Reference 15" sub is by far the most powerful sub and moves a lot of air.  I see a lot of guys with two, four, eight or more subs.  Many of them have multiple 18" subs, many of them 18" or 24" DIY because there is a tremendous bang-for-the subwoofer buck.

In terms of commercially produced subs I don't have an opinion because all I know is what I read and I feel uncomfortable making recommendations, except to qualify my answer to say "I haven't heard this."  There are too many internet comments where someone will say "my sub will crush that sub" or "that sub won't keep up with those speakers."

You are much better off finding someone who has owned or at least heard the speakers you are interested in and ask them.  Any first hand opinion will beat my second hand opinion every time.

16 hours ago, vasubandu said:

Dang @ClaudeJ1 you got me again.  14-60 foot wavelenths?  I really need to dive into the science of sound.  I would hope that the RF-7, RC-7 and RS-7 can handle 80Hz, but maybe not.  All I know is that I am going to make the kids move the subwoofers around while we figure it out.

One method is to put the sub in the place where you sit then crawl around on the floor  listening for best bass response. Once you find the sweet spot that is where you place the sub. Do a Google search and you find more/better info on this method.

I think with sub placement you have to experiment with every option available until you get it to the way you want.

Placement, location, xover, delay, phase etc. etc......

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Davis said:

I can say I did not have great success with this method. It makes total sense, but i did not hear much if any difference crawling around. Possibly if my room was larger.

Must say never try this method but yes it does make sense if you google it. In the next couple days I am going to rearrange/set up my system with 3 subs so I think I will place where I can and go from there. May be works good for only one sub? Anyone else try this method? Thanks for the heads up, might try it anyway but I am limited to where I can place 3 subs.

I agreed with swl just thought this could help with location for sub and then adjust as necessary.

44 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Must say never try this method but yes it does make sense if you google it. In the next couple days I am going to rearrange/set up my system with 3 subs so I think I will place where I can and go from there. May be works good for only one sub? Anyone else try this method? Thanks for the heads up, might try it anyway but I am limited to where I can place 3 subs.

I agreed with swl just thought this could help with location for sub and then adjust as necessary.

Try downloading REW, which has a sub simulation feature that's very cool. You can visually see what happens with 1, 2, 3, or 4 subs in various positions, wall midpoints, corners, different crossover points, ceiling heights, etc.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

2 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Try downloading REW, which has a sub simulation feature that's very cool. You can visually see what happens with 1, 2, 3, or 4 subs in various positions, wall midpoints, corners, different crossover points, ceiling heights, etc.

http://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Bought myself a mic and laptop in Dec to try out rew,  once I get everything set up I have to figure out to use all this modern tech. For now going to use the old fashion method, my ears. If I do the crawl I will post the results.

33 minutes ago, Ljk said:

Bought myself a mic and laptop in Dec to try out rew,  once I get everything set up I have to figure out to use all this modern tech. For now going to use the old fashion method, my ears. If I do the crawl I will post the results.

You don't need a microphone for simulation. Just hit the RED circled button and type in your room size, etc.

RoomSimREW.jpg

• Thanks 1

@ClaudeJ1 With all the help I have received here, I plan to fully document this and post my many mistakes.  Now that the idea of software is out there, I plan to see what all is available and test them out.  I am pickup up the surrounds today and then it is just a question of getting the guy to deliver the RF-7.