WTB - SVS PB2-Plus and/or SB12 PLus/2

vasubandu

Buy the one on your local c-list

Sealed and ported cabinets are very different, sounds like you are grasping for straws just for the name but good luck anyways.

Sealed for small rooms to take advantage of room gain (longest dimension under 16 Ft. ), ported for large rooms to get the most out of the cabinet.

20 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I am in Seattle, and if you are too, that would be perfect.  If you have one to sell, let me know, and we can work something out.  I am new to all this, so I really don't have a great idea of value, but I do have a great idea of need.

I agree with Jason.  If it's local you can hear it and don't have to worry about shipping expense or damage.  Who knows, you might be able to get him down to 500 which would be a good deal.

1 minute ago, jason str said:

Buy the one on your local c-list

Sealed and ported cabinets are very different, sounds like you are grasping for straws just for the name but good luck anyways.

Sealed for small rooms to take advantage of room gain (longest dimension under 16 Ft. ), ported for large rooms to get the most out of the cabinet.

Agreed, I went from the one in photo to two sealed with a total of four 15" drivers and I lost in my cavernous room.

I have the local one down to $500, but I am going to need a second at some time.  I spent a very long time chatting with the guy at SVS and have been asking questions on their site.  So it is not really shooting in the dark I hope.  He said that based on my cubic feet, he would suggest a pair of PB1000 or SB2000.  I am not really trying to make the house shake, but I do want some headroom, and if I understand people here, it is better not to stress a subwoofer.  I am fascinated that this has 2 12 inch drivers, which seems like it ought to make an impact.  And Ed at SVS just told me that a PB2 Plus and a PB12 PLus/2 are exactly the same so I can mix and match them.  Hell, $500 is a deal for a PB12 Plus/2.  I defnitely need ported with the room size and the dedicated home theater.  So this is coming together very nicely and I have learned a lot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vasubandu said:

I agree @CECAA850. And there seem to be a lot around here.  I will just take my time.  No need to rush the second.  

If it's at 500 you need to jump on it.  This thing can put out incredible amounts of bass.  You might not feel the need for a second one.  It's a beast. 

• Like 1

Ha ha, I have already told him I will take it and am picking it up tomorrow.  But I am told that I need 2.  I never knew that, but everyone says so.  I am not even sure why.  The guy just emailed me to set up noon tomorrow.  I am hoping to pick up the Aventage RX-A2060 at the same time.  Then we could come home and listen to some noise, but I don't have any of the other speakers yet.

I tried but he was not available.  I am not letting that get away. The guy are SVS told me it is identical to the SB12 Plus/2, and look what they cost.  I am just bummed that I don't have the rest of the speakers to play with and I still have to figure out how to sneak an 86 inch TV into the house.  

12 hours ago, vasubandu said:

I tried but he was not available.  I am not letting that get away. The guy are SVS told me it is identical to the SB12 Plus/2, and look what they cost.  I am just bummed that I don't have the rest of the speakers to play with and I still have to figure out how to sneak an 86 inch TV into the house.  

What's the old saying......rather ask for forgiveness than permission :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, vasubandu said:

The only real subwoofer I have ever had is the Paradigm, and I suspect this will be an awakening by itself.   Hey, question for you.  Why the SC3 center? I am not even familiar with that series.  But I keep reading that the RC7 was the best center that Klipsch ever made.

I think you are going to be quite surprised by that sub and that's a great deal at $500. That along with the sub you already have and the pair of RF-7's I don't think there will be any rush to find another one.

As far as the RC-7 being the very best center there are just too many variables to consider for any one to be the best but personally I'd say it is easily in the top three, other two being the RC-64 II and the Palladium P-27c. The Palladium has its unique sound signature though and is less likely to match up the reference line than the other two

So I took the new PB2 Plus home and it is a totally different animal than the Paradigm subwoofer.  There is a sense to the noise and it is part of the overall audio, whereas with the Paradigm, it was pretty much always the same rumble.  It does not seem as powerful in terms of shaking things, but it provides the deep bass without being obtrusive.  I have the Paradigm Millenia 200s packaged up for the buyer, so I am using a set of JBL Venue Stadium speakers that I bought a decade ago when Amazon had an amazing special.  Nothing special, but I have always thought that they did w a workmanlike job without pretending to do more, so I kept them.  Those are coupled with my new RC-7 from @jjptkd and it is stealing the show, epxcially since I am without surrounds for the moment until I can get my RS-7s.  I am expecting my RF-7 pair in the next few days, and I got the price down to $950.  

I am of course still looking for another PB2 Plus or PB12 Plus/2,  So if you are around Seattle and are not using one, send it my way.