KP 250 II cabinets...rehab or what?

Tuner

A couple of weeks ago I was curious about the value of these speakers and got some good advice.  It appears that in an alcohol related outdoor event some time in the past, the woofers and tweeter diaphrams have gone away.  Woofers are K-42-KP with cast frames and appear to be correct other than they do not function.  Not sure if they have any rehab value, a pair of Eminence replacements runs around $250.  Crites diaphrams for the tweeters are $60.  Rebuilding the crossovers by the esteemed Mr. Crites (what a nice man!) would run around $140.  The end game leaves me spending $450 to wind up with some nice speakers possibly worth what I just spent.  If you've read this far, you are wondering if there is a question somewhere.  These are surplus for me, I have not used them in years.  Are the cabinets with functional midrange and intact tweeter horns of any value to a collector?  At this point, i do not intend to spend the money.

Those K-42-KP woofers are a pain. Here in Nashville it took many MONTHS to get an old one re-coned and cost about $135.00 to do so. None of the Eminence woofers quite fit that K-42-KP cavity and every time I have used a current Eminence speaker I have had to route the hole out. I have some older KP-250's (1989) and they are much nicer sounding than the II's. You can rebuild the crossovers with Esre capacitors pretty cheap if you can solder. The Crites tweeter diaphragms are worth doing. Pro speakers can be hard to sell if you think you might end up doing so and all the KP-250's I have sold to date had either KP-480 or KP-115 subs to go with them and that is what sold them.

I would go and hear a set of these before I spent money on them so you know ahead of time what you will get. EBay is your friend and sell the parts off or sell them as is there. You can always say no to lowballs and you just might be pleasantly surprised.

A picture, price and location here just might get you a buyer.

Thank you, Dave...that is some useful info.  I have a pair of KP-115x subs and kinda like the idea of holding on to them in case needed in the future.  When I discovered the blown subs and tweets, I did a lot of searching for info on making them bullet proof and didn't learn as much as you wrote.  I have a bunch of speakers and while I love the old industrial look, I cant justify the money for my use.  Cabinets are in Gainesville FL. and deserve someone who wants to make them right.

I am happy to sell the cabinets and ship them on your dime via the UPS store to the location of your choice.  How does $100 sound?  Woofers are going in the trash so they will be a lot lighter:)