NBS Phonostage... consensus?

Schu

Has anyone actually used the NBS photo stage before? Is there any consensus on how good it is versus something like the Shannon parks budgie?

While I don't have anything hooked up to my nbs photo input, it seems to make an awful buzz/rumble when I switch to it.

30 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Is it close to a wireless router? My Mcintosh did the same thing and finally realized it was too close to my router.

x2. My NBS did the same thing when within 3 feet of my wireless router. PIA (for the rest of the www connected family) but simply turn the router off while the NBS is making pains and if that is the source it dies instantly.

Oh, I did use the phono stage with a Basis 2001 and Ortofon 2M Black. Nothing in recent memory to compare it to but worked well.

I loved the phono section in my NBS. Still miss it and could kick my butt for selling it, but other things took priority. I compared it against a stand-alone SS Sutherland 20/20 and the internal phono section of a Cary SLP-98P...and ultimately preferred the NBS. It’s quite a special unit, in my opinion. 

A properly designed and shielded piece of audio equipment should not be susceptible to RFI issues.  It surprises me that in the modern age of wifi, we still encounter equipment which isn't up to the task.  Even the vintage manufacturers shielded front end tubes, not only to prevent hum from transformer magnetic fields , but also to prevent RF pickup from nearby radio and television transmitters.

Maynard

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tube fanatic said:

A properly designed and shielded piece of audio equipment should not be susceptible to RFI issues.  It surprises me that in the modern age of wifi, we still encounter equipment which isn't up to the task.  Even the vintage manufacturers shielded front end tubes, not only to prevent hum from transformer magnetic fields , but also to prevent RF pickup from nearby radio and television transmitters.

Maynard

its under my monitor... so I think that is probably it. I can test it.