The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
7heavenlyplaces

Meaningful music

Is the music you listen to meaningful to you--and in what  ways?  How does the music you listen to have a significance in your life?

Oh yes... very much so

12 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Is the music you listen to meaningful to you?

Oh yes... very meaningful.

If I am not touched by the music, I really have a difficult time listening to it... it's intolerable.

At the very least I need to experience an emotional response.

I'd venture to say this is as meaningful today as much as it was when it was released in 1967.

For What It's Worth

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a gun over there
Telling me I got to beware
I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
It's time we stop, hey, what's that sound
What a field-day for the heat
A thousand people in the street
Singing songs and carrying signs
Mostly say, hooray for our side
It's s time we stop, hey, what's that sound
Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away
We better stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, hey, what's that sound
Stop, now, what's that sound
Stop, children, what's that sound
Songwriters: Stephen Stills
  • Like 2

"The answer my friend

is blowin' in the wind"

No doubt about that, like the movie from 1969 Paint Your Wagon with Lee...Lee...Lee Marvin.

28 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Is the music you listen to meaningful to you--and in what  ways? 

I would say yes, at the very least it has to make me feel good or happy. Part of this is some music brings back old memories of people or what was going on at the time. As far as new music I hear, I don't know I guess it could be as simple as just sounding good ?

I tend to listen to almost anything except rap and opera, I could listen to some rap if they wouldn't rap. :huh:

Reggae is on the top of the list for the last 35 years, don't really know why. 

4 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

"Nobody's right if everybody's wrong"

There is plenty of great music around when this came out, including Motown.

Beyond description.  There are no synonyms for "music," nor is there a word that names "the thing in itself."  Music means "of the muses," hardly like "water" or other words we know describe things directly.

I often wonder what the music of extraterrestrial civilizations is like.  Are there infinite Bachs our there, all creating sublime sounds that move in a way nothing else can?  If there is a God, it is through music that the actions of this being are known as our perception of it separates us from all else we observe or experience.  If we created it, we are special.  If not, we are blessed by it.  Either way, I am going to listen to some...

Dave

• Like 2

"Reggae is on the top of the list for the last 35 years, don't really know why".

Raggae was (is)  an original musical expression born of circumstances in Jamaica  which had significant cultural, social and political relevance.  I suspect that the originality-first on the world music scene-has a continuing  appeal.  

• Like 1

Yes listen to some more!  

"Beyond description." ...indeed.  There are spiritual dimensions to this reality as you suspect.

On some of the earthly Voyager space satellites ( which have travelled a billion miles by now)  there have been sent musical (along with other earthly) muses.  As I know there have been no responses yet. We (NASA) are listening and waiting for a response.  

It's that "beyond description" part...can you unpack those words more? I know there is an ethereal aspect to all this;  surreal!   What are some pragmatic, or present and real, aspects of listening to music which are meaningful to you?

What part of "beyond description" don't you get?  If I could describe what happens when I listen to the "Allegretto" from Beethoven's 7th or others I would try to do so.  Problem is that it is beyond description.  Tears flow and one is subordinate to a beauty surpassing description.  It affirms that you are not a frog, regardless of how marvelous a frog may be.  The frog will never experience the Allegretto.  

Dave

• Like 4

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -- Beethoven

2 minutes ago, garyrc said:

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy" -- Beethoven

TRVTH

• Like 1

I played this music at my Dad's funeral.  It makes me cry every time I hear it.  From Phantom of the Opera:

• Like 1

Yes for the most part.

This is probably why I don't listen to "Highway to Hell"

and other assorted songs that do nothing for me.

I like songs that have a more positive meaning

and I can listen to and enjoy.

Since many Rock Stars have gotten too political,

I will not listen to their music anymore,

they have dis-invited me to the party.

I like instuments with actual tones and not screechy instruments.

I don't like people hollerin at me in a song so rap is pretty much a no go.

Yeah--I can connect with what "I consider" to be good music.

YMMV

Ok, I'll confess, and I'm man enough to admit it - "Allegretto" from Beethoven's 7th - Mozart's "Requiem" and even "She's Leaving Home" by McCartney get's my eyes to water. Sooooo beautiful.  Anybody else care to confess?

PS - Another fantastic piece that should grab you in a big way is probably the greatest violin masterpiece, imho, "Scene D'Amour" by Bernard Herrmann for the film "Vertigo" now rated the #1 movie of the top 100 films.

• Like 1

Maybe -- not sure though, probably depends on my mood.  I want to say that music has very little meaning to me, as for the most part, it’s just sound. I like it, it’s a fun way to kill some time, and it has been a daily part of my life for as long as i can remember; but, rarely does it generate any emotional response. I can listen to music that i find beautiful and yet it doesn’t “move” me a bit. 

I do use it during imaginative times in hopes of enhancing the experience and it’s a very useful tool; but, i believe that the pleasure is actually more enjoying my thoughts than the music. During those times, I can (for lack of a better term) “get lost” in the song; but, then i can hear the song another time and feel absolutely nothing -- sometimes not even paying any attention to it at all. 

I can create something on the guitar and like it a lot -- then just move on and often forget what i had just wrote. Even before i forget it, any pleasure derived was from the satisfaction of accomplishing something creative and not the tune itself. 

Brian May of Queen said that he doesn’t like telling people what his songs are about -- he wants them to attach their own meaning to them. He said that someone may attach a certain meaning to a song and would probably be disappointed to learn that their meaning is completely different than what he was thinking/feeling when he wrote the song.

So, in that regard, i do attribute some memories to certain songs ... does that make the music meaningful to me? I guess in a way it does.  The more i think about it, i’m coming up with the old chicken and the egg thing ... did i give meaning to the music or did the music give meaning to me; or is there even a difference?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Morbius said:

Anybody else care to confess?

Too many to list, Dr. M.

Dave

• Like 1