Convert Klipsch 535B Jubilee into KPT-445-B?

diamonddelts

On 12/31/2017 at 9:37 PM, diamonddelts said:

I am heavily considering purchasing one 1802 subwoofer with my tax return in March. My only concern is getting it up into my loft which is upstairs. The 1802 is listed as weighing 330lb. I thought it was because it was using cheaper MDF but it turns out from the spec sheet it says it's using plywood. 

No it's because it's friggin huge.  Highly recommend double checking all door entrances.  

3 hours ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

No it's because it's friggin huge.  Highly recommend double checking all door entrances.  

My doorway is approximately 34 inches wide. My steps going upstairs are approximately 33 inches wide.

So I have enough clearance to get it in the house. Only issue would be the sheer  weight of it and making sure the floors can support it's weight concentrated on one space.

However I don't see how this would be any more of a concern than two  adults laying in a bed on the upper floor. My first love is weight lifting so 330 lb is nothing compared to my equipment in my garage.

However when enlisting help that's where the problem comes because  not everyone can hold this type of weight and move it.

I did some experimenting with my jubes when I first got them. I removed the jumper from the bass bins and ran them parallel instead of series with the jumper. I only did this for one day when I was still dialing them in,  I do remember bass seemed to hit harder with out the jumper in place.  I've been meaning to try this again but never got around to it. Maybe someone who knows more than me could explain if there is any benifit to it. 

Careful with your bass bin amplifier.  The load impedance gets low with two K-31 woofers in parallel (less than 2 ohms).  You'll pull more current, which is both the difference in sound you hear and the cause for concern.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:55 AM, Chris A said:

Careful with your bass bin amplifier.  The load impedance gets low with two K-31 woofers in parallel (less than 2 ohms).  You'll pull more current, which is both the difference in sound you hear and the cause for concern.

Less than 2 ohm am I misunderstanding what everyone is discussing?

~3.4 ohm is the lowest value in this plot in the 65-70 hz region.

Jub LF woofers in parallel is standard and here is the raw impedance.

BED075DF-9A1B-4554-895C-295247B511D0.gif

Guys...

Two K-33-like woofers in parallel will pull the DC resistance around 2 ohms (like the K-402-MEH prototype...which is what I was thinking about).  The K-31 woofers in parallel will go to just over 3 ohms as stated (the type used in the original KPT-KHJ-LF bass bins)--about one ohm more than the K-33s.

However, if you're running a lot of current through the woofers, the DC resistance will rise over time, which will beneficially add load resistance.  But If you're running a cold bass bin with an amplifier that doesn't like low load impedance, the first few minutes of operation with lots of gain can be a little dicey for the amplifier if it doesn't have load protection circuitry. 

Chris

Yes, the Jubilee bass bin does present a lowish impedance to the amplifier. However, the bass bin is quite efficient and will not require an extraordinary amount of power.

Just as there are pros and cons for running them parallel there are also pros and cons for running them in series.They were designed to have the woofer pair run in parallel, they should be wired that way.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2018 at 7:19 AM, Chris A said:

Since 2007/2008, I've experienced a sustained level of audio satisfaction that I didn't think was possible.

Hey Chris - are you ever on the west coast? I have been searching for the satisfaction you found and am tired of spending money without receiving any net gains, infact many resulting in losses. I would seriously be interested in paying for your time and getting an in house evaluation if you or another expert would be up for it.