Led Zeppelin remaster

The Dude

No personal experience. I was thinking about a couple a while back and after reading up decide not to. Take a look on the Steve Hoffman forums. Lots of info on them over there. IIRC not a lot of good things to say. Classic Records 200g are the ones to have, but now you need a 2nd mortgage to buy them.

I remember reading some thing some where about remastering...that when done digitally it totally screws up what use to be a good thing. I kind of adds noise in places where it it didn't use to be.

Bass sounds wash out....things just don't sound as they should......

George

Only one I have is II.  Feels the closest to listening to an original master tape than to any other I've heard, and I have 1st gen American vinyl in the mix.  Yeah, you hear the distortions in the master better than ever, because it's clearer than ever.  That's the sound of the mix console going crunchy, it's always been there.  It's not slammed, in fact I don't think it ever touches 0dBFS, it's a bit down overall.  Seems clearer/wider/fatter/more dimensional overall.  I need to check out the others.  

• Like 1

I just bought Presence... it sounds great but using the dynamic range database I had to do a bit of searching before finding the right release with good sound quality. Thankfully most folks reselling these used cds and LPs included the catalog number in the listings.

I use the dynamic range data base for every vintage purchase I make.

Whatever you do... don't purchase membership. It is horrible with high sensitivity speakers.

I have all the 2014 remasters in hi-res digital from HDtracks.  Well, except for CODA, but that's a different story.  They are the best I've heard and I think the best SQ you can expect from Led Zeppelin, although I haven't heard some of the legendary copies like the Ludwig II pressing or the Diament CDs.  If there was distortion in the original master tapes, then it is also present in the 2014 remasters.  These are honest mixes, however as with all Led Zeppelin, don't all of a sudden get shy with the bass knob.

I have first 4 original albums on LP, and I have purchased the new remasters on LPs (2014 - the first album deluxe edition with extra tracks Paris Olympia, II, III, IV, Houses of the Holy and Physical Graffiti).

All new remasters sound better to my ears, but I do not have very revealing speakers for the time being, so I can not give meaningful opinion on some sound details in recordings.

Bonhams drums on Moby Dick sound fantastic on reissue.