Connecting R-26FA

Jeff 15209

First off, I am an audio idiot.  I am in the process of replacing speakers that I bought in the mid-90's.  Therefore, I will apologize in advance if this all just sounds stupid to those of you who are experts in this area.

I bought an OLED television and a Yamaha RX-V683 receiver as I'm trying to upgrade the sound to match.  On the advice of B&H, I purchased the R-26FA floor standing speakers, as well as a center speaker.  The rear speakers are still in transit, so I haven't connected those yet.  But as for the R-26FA speakers, they have six posts (three sets) on the back for connecting wires.  The instructions say:

Some Klipsch Reference speakers come with dual binding posts that are connected by a metal strip. Do not remove this strip or your speakers will not function correctly. Keep this strip in place and connect your speaker wire to the top set of the binding posts. It is possible to “Bi-wire” a speaker that has two sets of binding posts. Please see your receiver’s manual for further instructions

Ok, so I connected my receiver to the top set of posts, which sit alone.  Now the sound comes out of the top of the speakers (the elevated one that lies on something like a 45 degree angle).  However, shouldn't the front of the speakers be putting out sound as well?  Or is that only for bi-amping?  Should I be hooking up additional wires from the receiver to these other posts? 

Compared to my vintage 1996 speakers, this sounds pretty great, even without the rear speakers in place yet.  But I have a feeling I'm doing this wrong and would like to get the most out of these.  Support is closed until Tuesday, so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice.

Thank you.

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_4897.JPG

The terminals you are using are just for that top ATMOS channel, not the main drivers themselves.

You need to run that to the Height channel on your AVR, and run the second or third (either or, doesn't matter - you don't need both) to the main channels on the AVR.

Oh that's great - thanks so much!  So you only need both of the bottom ones for "bi-amping"?  If you don't mind one more question...on the back of the receiver there is "Front" and "Front Presence" connections.  Do you think Front Presence is what you are referring to as the height channel?   And Front would then go to the main drivers?

Thanks again.

Edited by Jeff 15209
Extra question :)

1 minute ago, Jeff 15209 said:

So you only need both of the bottom ones for "bi-amping"?

Put the bi-amping thought out of your mind.  AFAIC dual-binding posts on speakers at this level are just a marketing gimmick.

Bi-Amping requires some minor internal modification to the speakers, and additional components to accomplish.

Incidentally, I recommend using one post at the top, and one post at the bottom - that way if the strap comes loose, you'll know that there's an issue - rather than running with a high or low and not realizing it.  Doesn't matter if you do red or black, just do one red and one black.

Awesome - thanks!  I was editing my previous post when you answered, so just hopefully one last question, if you don't mind.  On the back of the receiver there is "Front" and "Front Presence" connections.  Do you think Front Presence is what you are referring to as the height channel?   And Front would then go to the main drivers?

I just got a pair of R-26FA's for Christmas. Each Speaker needs 4 wires. Red/Black front on lower terminals, and Red/Black on (Extra SP1) F. Presence / Zone 2 (as labeled from your Yamaha RX-V683  manual on line. I bought some banana plugs at Best Buy and put them on either end of the speaker wires. You have to remove the little plug on speaker to use them. It makes disconnecting either end much quicker.

I just started putting together a home theater myself:

Yamaha Aventage RX-A760

R-26FA's

R-12SW

Looking for a center speaker next...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
8 hours ago, EcuaJoka said:

I also received these speakers, but as a gift. So would i need a Bi amp cable? The cable that has 2  banana connections on one end, and 4 banana connections on the other end. I have a Marantz 6013 as my amp.

Thanks.

Steve

I figured it out.... I will let you know

• 3 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 9:56 AM, Efrain Martinez said:

I have a denon AVRS 750 and I need to clear how connect thre speaker R- 26FA,  I have 6 +1 speaker out, Can I connect three in each speakers ? Right  and left ?

Not sure what the question is.  There's 2 speakers in the R-26FA, you only need to connect two terminals.  See the diagram I posted in this thread.  You connect the stand-alone terminals to height channels, and one of the lower 2 to the main.

1 hour ago, EcuaJoka said:

I was able to connect the speakers this way. It’s it correct?

speaker / Receiver

Atmos - height 1 L&R

HF to front L&R

LF to height2 L&R

No, you should be using the copper strap to connect the two lower terminals to each other and run only one set of wires from that lower set to your AVR.  See the diagram.

New to this forum;

just purchased a pair of r-

26fa’s, r-41m(2), and a r-52c. I am currently using my Denon avr-4308ci. I have surround lr and surround back speakers.  Do I need another  power amp or can I use a spare zone to power the atmos pair. I haven’t been proficient in a/v in decades!

22 hours ago, The History Kid said:

Not sure what the question is.  There's 2 speakers in the R-26FA, you only need to connect two terminals.  See the diagram I posted in this thread.  You connect the stand-alone terminals to height channels, and one of the lower 2 to the main.

No, you should be using the copper strap to connect the two lower terminals to each other and run only one set of wires from that lower set to your AVR.  See the diagram.

speaker / Receiver

Atmos - height 1 L&R

HF to front L&R

LF to height2 L&R

Can I use the k4B-2B Bi-Wire Speaker Cable? Which is the 4 banana plug to 2 banana cable.  I may have misplaced the pins.

1 hour ago, EcuaJoka said:

speaker / Receiver

Atmos - height 1 L&R

HF to front L&R

LF to height2 L&R

That's not correct unless the H2 is assignable.  And if it is assignable you'd need to remove the straps - but that configuration is also unnecessary.  You only need to use one set of those terminals.

Can I use the k4B-2B Bi-Wire Speaker Cable? Which is the 4 banana plug to 2 banana cable.  I may have misplaced the pins.

You could, but again, that is not necessary.

I had it setup with audyssey and the h2’s were assigned to the LF ports from the speaker. With no pins.
So if it’s unnecessary, then these speakers just have an extra set of ports in case needed. So in conclusion, I just need to connect the height speakers and the HF ports from the speaker, to my receiver and leave LF ports on the speakers alone?

at this rate, I’m getting a sound bar 😂😭😭

Edited by EcuaJoka

30 minutes ago, EcuaJoka said:

then these speakers just have an extra set of ports in case needed.

AFAIC dual-binding posts on speakers at this level are just a marketing gimmick.

Bi-Amping requires some minor internal modification to the speakers, and additional components to accomplish.

• 4 months later...