New RP-280F or Used La Scala's?

NN8DC

New to the forum...first post.  Don't raz me too bad, but I'm selling my 28 yr. old Bose 901's, and have settled on buying Klipsch.  I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of RP-280f's, but then just did a quick search on Craigslist for Klipsch, and here's what came up: https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/ele/d/klipsch-lascala-speaker/6438105847.html

I just measured, and have the room for either of these.  That La Scala is A LOT of speaker.  I watch movies and also occasionally crank up the volume... but the last time I heard the La Scala's was about 38 years ago when I was a kid living in the P.I. and they carried lots of electronics on base in the "Far East Trader" exchange.  They blew me away then.  Have not heard the RP-280's, but from the reviews I've seen online, most people love them.

My budget is about $1200, so either would/could work.

Thoughts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NN8DC said:

Thanks for the input.  I have a call into the seller.  We'll see if it works out for the La Scala's.

I asked what year these were.  I'm a newbie to Klipsch, but they must be LaScala I's?

Yes, they are the 1's. The LaScala II have a separate top enclosure for the mid and treble horns. I've got a set of 1978 scala's which reveal new musical details to me each time I use them. (I've had them about a year now)

Just got a pair of the LaScala 1 and can attest to what others are saying. The advert on craigslist has been there for awhile. It is some type of shop. The price until recently was $1500. It was lowered a couple or 3 weeks ago. If you go for them, see if you can demo them to see if all 3 speakers in each are working. And in person, you can see what condition they are in, front, back and sides. Do what you like but, I would offer around $1000. If the seller gets too funny about it, well you will sort it out. Good fortune and welcome to the forum.

You will maybe want to refresh the crossovers at some point so, maybe a bargaining point.

19 hours ago, billybob said:

Just got a pair of the LaScala 1 and can attest to what others are saying. The advert on craigslist has been there for awhile. It is some type of shop. The price until recently was $1500. It was lowered a couple or 3 weeks ago. If you go for them, see if you can demo them to see if all 3 speakers in each are working. And in person, you can see what condition they are in, front, back and sides. Do what you like but, I would offer around $1000. If the seller gets too funny about it, well you will sort it out. Good fortune and welcome to the forum.

You will maybe want to refresh the crossovers at some point so, maybe a bargaining point.

Thanks.  Good advice.  :-)

• Like 1

I picked up the La Scala's yesterday.  They were from a retired Air Force guy who had bought the in Japan in the early 90's.  They hadn't been played in nearly 10 years.  He was downsizing because he got a job to leave to go overseas in about a month.  They were stored in the original box in a corner of his garage.

He had already sold his amp and other electronics, so I brought over an old receiver I had and an mp3 player to use as input source.  We untaped the boxes and unboxed these in the garage.  He still had monster cable connected to them, and I hooked them up to the receiver.  He had taken very good care of them.  The black cabinets are very clean, with only a few slight blemishes.

They sounded great, even with the old amp and the cheap mp3 player.  He wouldn't take less than the asking price, but I gave him the full $1200.  

I'm planning on setting these up in the next few days with a brand new receiver Onkyo- 676.  Looking at the manual, you can select crossovers, and bi-amping.  

Should I even worry about bi-amping?  The default for the crossover is 100hz.  Seems high.  Should I select lower?  Or even select "full range"?  I DO have a subwoofer.

Thanks for everyone chiming in.  I'm excited to hook up these monsters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the LaScalas! Just curious as to what crossovers are in those. Would like an impression on the bass response in your setup.

I would just set everything to flat with the receiver at first anyway and give a good listen. Sounds like you made out just fine. A pic or so later

would be cool.

Thanks!

Cannot see biamping them getting you much. Careful with those capacitors...:emotion-21:

7 hours ago, NN8DC said:

'm planning on setting these up in the next few days with a brand new receiver Onkyo- 676.  Looking at the manual, you can select crossovers, and bi-amping

It's the Onkyo that states biamping...  (I presume)

Don't worry about it unless you ever decide to do TRUE biamping (splitting signal with active crossover)

Just get them...plug them in....listen to them for while to get accustomed to them.

Down the road, 6-12 or 24 months...  if you want to improve them....  ask at that time.  

Just take it one step at a time for now.