Silver Faced Receiver

JohnA

3 hours ago, T2K said:

Within the next few months my Dads Sansui 9090DB will be up for sale John. Just can't say when. My brothers and I haven't discussed it yet but they're not into the audio thing. I picked up a pair of DCM Timeframe 400's there the other day that I loaned him years ago and am going to wire up to my closeted Technics SA-DA8 which I bought back when the Brand was dropped. And it ain't black! If I was closer I would loan it out to you for a coupla years. It's sound with Chorus II is surprising.

These days I'm more interested in passing something along to someone that actually wants it and uses it, rather than the flipping hoarders that abound now. It's easier for me to just toss things in the trash usually. Like Acoustic Research AR-11's. They were pretty sitting on the curb.

A 9090DB would be the bomb!  I have had a couple of Technics receivers.  I drove Marantz Imperial 7s with mine (that my sister still has).  They were fine as long as you didn't over-drive them.  Clipping sounded real ugly and required a noticeable amount of time for recovery. 

I'll add Tandberg to the search.  They were great pieces, I thought, back when. 

" A 9090DB would be the bomb "

Use one in my shop, no where near as good as a Tandberg, Yamaha CR800, HK730/430, etc.

I was surprised how much better an ebay $100  Hafler DH200 sounded compared to the 9090.

Tandberg Audio went belly up around 1978, Tandberg Data was acquired by Cisco Systems.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2018 at 5:27 PM, djk said:

" A 9090DB would be the bomb "

Use one in my shop, no where near as good as a Tandberg, Yamaha CR800, HK730/430, etc.

After a 9090DB and HK 730 shootout, I kept on enjoying the 730 and sold the Sansui.

I don't have experience with Tandberg or that model Yamaha.

• Like 1

I just updated my  system. Got rid of the black. Went with a new Rotel. They're making them in silver now. They've got some decent amps in the power and price range you're looking. Plus side is the new 2 channel amps have all your digital inputs for IPod, balanced XLR, and Bluetooth and USB. Did I mention they look good too?

IMG_2761.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/15/2018 at 3:51 AM, vasubandu said:

Out of curiosity and a serious question since I am new, why would you want an older receiver instead of a new amp or even a newer receiver?  I am sure there is a reason, I just don't get it.

As I've said, I'm *sick* of black; I have not found a non-black receiver at any cost in years.  The '70s to early '80s were a golden era for discrete component audio designs and sound quality.  During those years, sound quality was paramount and solid state designs and technology were at a peak.  Forty year old electronics usually require an overhaul, but after the caps are replaced and the controls and tuner section cleaned and aligned, they are as good as ever.  I have some nostalgia for the period, too, as it was the time I was out of high school and had summer jobs making money available for audio frivolity. 

If Yamaha, or others, sold a silver receiver comparable to the A-S501 in the U.S., I'd have it.  New is usually better.  For the 600 foot cabin this and a pair of KG2s are going in, space will be short, so I want everything in one box and want an FM tuner because there is no internet in the backwoods.  The only tuners I've seen for sale in the U.S. are black.  Did I mention I DETEST black electronics?  I take a flashlight to read the markings on my Pre/Pro. 

"Vintage" has the advantage of not looking like it is worth stealing from a backwoods cabin.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 7heavenlyplaces said:

Howabouta Yamaha CT800 silver face receiver, AM FM?

I saw your note and have looked at a few integrateds, including another CA-800 in Nashville, but the issue of bulk comes back up. 

You know, you could have a purple anodized face plate made for not all the much money if you wanted to.  I think this is what you are describing

csm_Frontplatte_19er_e8feadde61.jpg

Personally I prefer this look

csm_Frontplatte_Logo__blau_eloxiert_faa634bdef.jpg

Company is http://www.frontpanelexpress.com/products/front_panels/  I have not done a lot of research, but the idea does seem possible.  You could even go clear acrylic.  

On ‎1‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:47 PM, JohnA said:

I saw your note and have looked at a few integrateds, including another CA-800 in Nashville, but the issue of bulk comes back up. 

John,

Noah Schumacher is the best I know of on old receivers. He has done Pioneer SX-1980s and Marantz 2600s. Read over $5,000 Receivers these days. I have a Pioneer SX-3900 that he is going to Restore = about $1,000 restored these days and full restoration and cleaning is $600

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-05-07%2Bat%2B13.37.

Pioneer SX-3900 Receiver Today Im show casing a Pioneer SX-3900 Receiver that came in for a restoration.  The SX-3900 is one o...

^^^^^ This is a restoration on one just like mine. If you click on it, you can read about it's restoration, or the restoration of many other models. The Pioneer SX-3900 is 120 watts per channel RMS  :D

Roger

Screen%2BShot%2B2017-06-08%2Bat%2B10.13.

Marantz 2600 Monster Receiver Today Im showcasing the restoration of an extremely rare receiver, the biggest receiver Marantz eve...

^^^^^ This is a restoration of one of those $5,000 Marantz Receivers :D

Roger

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I am constantly trying to make deals for speakers, and a significant number of people I see have silver-faced audio equipment.  Some of them have nice speakers, so they might have good older equipment.  If anyone wants to put  together some kind of list that would tell me what is good and what is junk. I would be happy to try to grab the good stuff and  forward it on to whoever wanted it for my cost.  Not trying to make a dime, just wondering if I am missing opportunities that someone else might want.  I am in Seattle.