Harry Chapin & nice harmony's???

Coytee

Ok, so my brother in law is here for the Holiday.  Lives about an hour south of New Orleans, lost everything in Katrina...never been known (by me) to be into anything music other than maybe listening to the radio.

We were talking while a ballgame (or something) was on the TV, speakers were silent...  he asks me if I've ever heard of Harry Chapin?  (yes, have a couple CD's and saw him in concert about a year prior to his death)...

"His brother has a nice CD out with some nice songs, including one with some great harmony's..."

Went out to his truck, brought it in and I played it.  (this was day before yesterday)

Don't you know that most of yesterday, I was cursed with this song stuck in my head and I could hardly wait to get home to listen to the harmony's again...  then this morning....again...

I don't know if this can be downloaded, but if it can and you like a nice song that could be released today (in my opinion)

Harry Chapin, A Celebration in Song, Volume I by, The Chapin Family, live in concert.

Song is "Remember When the Music".  It's done in 3 (4?) part harmony by the daughters/nieces in the family and they do a beautiful version of the song (which I happen to already think is a good song)

The rest of the CD is nice enough...  basically a replay of a Harry Chapin concert, being led by his brothers and using some/most (all?) of the original band including Big John Wallace whom was spotlighted in Mr. Tanner.

I still can't get those girls out of my head.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Coytee for sharing this.  Thanks to Spotify I just enjoyed the amazing harmonies of the Chapin girls.

Did you play the CD on your best system for your brother-in-law?  If so, what did he think?  He seems to illustrate the reality that the music is more important than the medium.

The world lost a nice person and an exceptional talent when Harry Chapin died at thirty-eight in his 6-year old 75 VW Rabbit.

1 hour ago, Coytee said:

Song is "Remember When the Music".  It's done in 3 (4?) part harmony by the daughters/nieces in the family and they do a beautiful version of the song (which I happen to already think is a good song)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DizRotus said:

Did you play the CD on your best system for your brother-in-law?  If so, what did he think?

I only have one system... it's "ok"  :emotion-21:

He's heard many things here over the last 11 years...  so it was just another thing to hear.  I do wonder though....  if he had it in his truck....asked the question because he might have wanted to hear it but wasn't sure how to simply ask?  (speculation)

@wvu80  If only I had my PC speakers hooked up... (wife doesn't like the clutter so ordered them banished and they're in the garage)

Nice find though.

Just had to add this.....

Preface:  My (now deceased) father in law had an interesting habit of whistling a tune.  one I've never heard before...  consisted of four notes and he would whistle it over & over and over and overrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  to the point you realize he's not even aware he's doing it.

Seems the apple's didn't fall from the tree as my wife has a similar habit (though she'll at least change the tune or whistle something I've heard before)

So, I just now left the kitchen.  My brother in law is up there with my wife and his son, eating some breakfast.

BOTH of them are whistling portions of this song.  He a bit more than she....  but I've never in my life heard that happen before (both of them whistling at same time, same tune)

Interestingly enough....  the tune (the gals harmony) is still stuck in my head so unbeknown to my brother in law and my wife....  all three of us were in the same music space at that moment.

I don't know if that's cool or creepy!!

:unsure:

• Like 1

Coytee,

You prompted me to revisit Harry Chapin.  After enjoying Remember When The Music, I searched HDtracks to see what Harry Capin music is available.  To my surprise, this is the only item available.

http://www.hdtracks.com/the-elektra-collection-1971-1978-chapin

For that, price I’ll stream all the Harry Chapin I want from my Amazon Prime account at no cost.

48 minutes ago, Coytee said:

@wvu80  If only I had my PC speakers hooked up... (wife doesn't like the clutter so ordered them banished and they're in the garage)

I feel for you, my friend.  My wife is the reason the La Scalas and Khorns had to go.  :(

For the record, I think nick knacks and assorted foo-foo on the speakers are clutter, but do you think that counts for anything?  Nooooo.

2 hours ago, wvu80 said:

I feel for you, my friend.  My wife is the reason the La Scalas and Khorns had to go.  :(

For the record, I think nick knacks and assorted foo-foo on the speakers are clutter, but do you think that counts for anything?  Nooooo.

Look carefully and you might spot the extent of Klipsch penetration into the public living spaces permitted by my bride.  The Klipsch iGroove connected by Bluetooth to iPad, phone, etc., provides all the music she needs/tolerates in spaces seen by non-family  members.

The second photo provides a glimpse into the clutter tolerated in my basement lair.

4F359929-017F-4E60-89A7-CF2D128DEC2E.jpeg

5BA74665-D695-4A47-8810-AE48CB61A5B4.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DizRotus said:

For that, price I’ll stream all the Harry Chapin I want from my Amazon Prime account at no cost.

I didn't notice it on that list...  but, on his Greatest Stories Live CD, there is an extra track on the end "The Shortest Story".

It's a bit of a somber song...  he was deeply into trying to help world hunger.  I have a little voice in the back of my head that he might have been one of the early people trying to start some form of world organization to help hungry people (??)  

None the less.... go find that song and give it a listen.  Just make sure you're in a good emotional place.  My wife would hate to hear the song....  it would depress her.

I personally think we need to experience some things like that in life to help keep us sensitive to some realities that we might otherwise be a bit numb to.

Don't know why but I find the bell rather somber and giving a feeling of being alone.

Lyrics:

I am born today
The Sun burns a promise
In my eye
Mama strikes me
And I draw a breath and cry
Above me a cloud
Slowly tumbles through the sky
I am glad, to be alive
It is my seventh day
I taste the hunger
And I cry