marantz sacd on a budget

mopardave

Don't stop with SACD.  DVD-A sounds better, a little.  There are several universal players out there.  My Denon 2910 has been flawless.  Oppo's 103 is praised amdthere has been one or 2 for sale here. 

https://www.amazon.com/OPPO-BDP-103-Universal-DVD-Audio-Blu-ray/dp/B009LRR5AQ

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_0?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A1036922%2Ck%3Adenon+dvd-a%2Cp_89%3ADenon&keywords=denon+dvd-a&ie=UTF8&qid=1514823724&rnid=493964

13 minutes ago, teknoid said:

Not Marantz but you might want to consider this guy too:

In a previous life I had one of these and found it to be an excellent CD\SACD\DVD-A player. 

I second this but (1) there is no price  - research ebay.  You can find these cheap - $75 or so, and (2) no matter what the owner says, plan on changing the drive belt.  It is not that hard but much more work than some other units as you have to remove the face plate, drawer cover, and some small gears.  I did two of these recently.  Good news is that you do not need to align anything.  Belt is about $5 plush shipping. 

I highly recommend the Denon player, but make sure you are able to do the work (not that bad if you are handy).

• Moderators
6 hours ago, mopardave said:

still kickin around the idea of a used marantz sacd  player.   What are the models numbers of the good ones to look at.    This is for 2/ch listening only.  Thanks

If you want to try something for about $200 new that sounds good and plays SACD or DVD A, this will work. I got one about 2 months ago and it works great, plus it streams if you have WiFi and would want to listen to online music. It can be found for $200, I got it on sale for $149, so look around if interested. I got it to play 4K disc/movies and was surprised at the sound of other disc, it's better than the Samsung I was using for music. The picture is amazing if used for that also.

Pic so you can see if you could connect, it would have to be either HDMI or coaxial cable.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/blu-ray-disc-players/ubp-x800

sony-ubp-x800-4k-bd-player-10.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, tromprof said:

Here is a new option for a nice price.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X6AGWRQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Integra can decode so I am using as a transport but it is doing a fine job. Blu Ray is good too.

Different model than what I got but you beat me to the idea.

Thanks guys, but i am really wanting a marantz.   Been wanting one a very long time.  I will check out those 2900 Denons thou as i dont want to spend much, maybe $300.   That Marantz UD7007 is a smoking deal and if i were not contemplating buying a new tube amp as well i would be after that as its just what i'm looking for.    

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:44 AM, mopardave said:

kickin around the idea of a used marantz sacd  player.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 9:34 AM, mopardave said:

I would really like to get a Marantz player

18 hours ago, mopardave said:

Thanks guys, but i am really wanting a marantz. 

My computer seems to display things that other computers don't.

If i could spend $500 right now,  i would pull the trigger on the UD7007 listed.  Thats just a no brainer.          Just looking for a $200/$300 single drawer player that works well with tubes and horns.   I currently have a Modded Sony C333es .  Would like to compare.    I just dont know which of those older players were the good ones.  Thanks

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, tigerwoodKhorns said:

I second this but (1) there is no price  - research ebay.  You can find these cheap - $75 or so, and (2) no matter what the owner says, plan on changing the drive belt.  It is not that hard but much more work than some other units as you have to remove the face plate, drawer cover, and some small gears.  I did two of these recently.  Good news is that you do not need to align anything.  Belt is about $5 plush shipping. 

I highly recommend the Denon player, but make sure you are able to do the work (not that bad if you are handy).

This is my 2900 for sale, just wondering why the drive belt is known to go?  Is it due to frequency of opening, or time on the belt.  This player has had so little use, and is firm and strong.  Also the price is listed in the ad at $150 DLVD

I also own a ud5007 as it matches my main set up, the 2900 was for two channel only.  I can't remember the difference between the 7007 and 5007, but the price difference was extreme IMO, so I went with the 5007

Edit 7007 has an additional HDMI out, and XLR outputs, and brushed alum face