mastered well....no demastering by chris a required :)

• Klipsch Employees

Have to tell you guys.......you want some music recorded awesomely......no damn eq or remastering required......then check out Houdini by 2 kinds of pie. Just happened to be mixed on on quasi klipsch custom monitors. I really like the mix and music. The bands music is so creative and mixed and mastered by some guys I kinda know......matt Whatley and michael delgado. Am going to take the music to CES to play thru the heritage products to show off the speakers!!!!!

1 hour ago, Combover Mastering said:

Here is a smart phone formatted video we put together for fun of one of the singles. Something for while you wait on the CD's to arrive. 

Enjoy on your Klipsch cans or buds!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1tesslj8u6pazeu/PIE CREEPY VID 2.mp4?dl=0

Matt Whatley 

Combover Mastering

Wow.  Love Betty Boop.  Thanks for that.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Combover Mastering said:

Here is a smart phone formatted video we put together for fun of one of the singles. Something for while you wait on the CD's to arrive. 

Matt Whatley 

Combover Mastering

Matt,

How can we buy a High Rez version?

Finally had a chance to listen on something a little more hi fi... Really nice recording and mix, Matt. Could you say a little about how that was done, i.e., recoded to tape, computer, hardware used, software used?

Bruce

Hey fellow Klipschers! Glad everyone is digging! 

Regarding hi-res. The highest we have right now on this album is CD quality 16 bit / 44.1 because that is what the client paid for on the mastering side. Seeing that there is a need though we may go back later and do a remaster at 24 bit / 88.2. Seems like a cool thing for groups like this one.

The process was a blast. We recorded digitally in Logic Pro X at 24/88.2 but with an all tube front end and very high end mics. All line devices were tube as well. 

Key pieces of gear for this project were.

conversion: merging technologies hapi

Mics: geffel um192 tube condensers modded by Frank Lavala.

line gear: Hendy analog stage 

mic pres: Hendy Picasso's (all Vocals and guitars and several other things)

mastering stage: Hendy Michelangelo eq and Hendy pollock compressor. Manley Massive Passive EQ, etc.

wonderful musicians and friends (David Novey and Jim Toler) and the best assistant engineer in the world, Michael Delgado. And plenty of beer.

Matt Whatley

Combover Mastering

Edited by Combover Mastering
Add name
  • Like 3

On 1/7/2018 at 5:03 PM, Combover Mastering said:

Matt Whatley 

Combover Mastering

It even sounds good on my computer speakers.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Combover Mastering said:

mastering stage: Hendy Michelangelo eq and Hendy pollock compressor. Manley Massive Passive EQ, etc.

They are.going to wonder why you need this.  They will wonder if you smooshed it and what the DR number is.

They are also going to want to know why you would possibly need eq if it was tracked and mixed so well.  Obviously it was those super accurate monitors you have that let you tweak it even better😀.

Great, great sound!

Dwilawyer,

Thanks for the compliments and Good point. Yes the monitors and the room one is  working in is most important. These monitors are incredibly flat, in fact I believe Roy measured them anechoic flat all the way down to 27hz. 27hz-22khz and ruler flat is unheard of out of a nearfield. 

Mastering is a special art and normally I would prefer not to master something I tracked and mixed because I feel a new ear is important at that stage. However, in this case the artists insisted because Mastering is the true "Forte" at Combover so we took a 3 week break from the project to reset our hearing, then mastered using the gear mentioned in my last post. While indeed the album was recorded and mixed very well, the mindset has to be very different on the mastering side because the mix is the mix no matter who I get it from, so rather than thinking in terms of balance and creative ideas and does it sound great, i think in terms of depth and space and does is sound like a finished record. Hard to describe in words but here is a link to some mixed vs mastered a/b's that will better describe what I'm trying to say. All are good mixes from various studios but compared to the mastered files we finished at Combover the gap is huge. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m1fg357t2cdynqn/AACuDh8I02FeHFFbHWjWBF_Ea?dl=0

Regarding compression in mastering. Only used to control hard transients and things that may get a bit out of control. One must never kill the dynamic range by over compression. Dynamics are very important to me. Yes indeed, some mastering engineers do make the mistake of over compressing. 

Matt Whatley

Combover Mastering

www.combovermastering.com

Edited by Combover Mastering
clarification
  • Like 1