Vasubandu's subwoofer confusion

vasubandu

For the last ten years, I thought that my Paradigm SW2200 must be really great.  And it did make things rumble.  But when I decided to replace my old Paradigm Millenia system with something new, I found this place and was told that "new" can actually mean long before my kids were born, and now I am putting together a system with RF-7 fronts, RC-7 center and RS-7 surrounds.  When I sought advice for a subwoofer, the consensus seemed to be to drop Klipsch and go for SVS.  That was fine with me as I had been considering the SVS Ultra speakers before being talked into Klipsch.  

So now I have an SVS PB2 Plus, which was built on July 9, 2004.  It has 2 12" drivers.  And it is completely unlike my Paradigm.  It really does not shake the room that much, but it fills the air with energy, and it seems like an extension of the speakers instead of just a rumble.  The only other speaker  I have so far is the RC-7, and I am using some old JBL Venue Stadiums to fill it out.

I have been told to get 2 subwoofers, which was a completely new idea for me. It will take a while to find another  PB2 Plus, but the PB12 Plus/2 is the same thing, and an PB12 Ultra/2 would work as wall. Plus I just learned that they made a PB2 Ultra as well.

I am still trying to understand how to make this work.  The ports are on on the back, and I could point them into a corner or down a wall that runs 15 feet. No idea how close to the wall to put them or ifit matters.  Until I get the second, could I put it in the middle and put my center on top of it?  Seems  weird, but why not?

I also am trying to figure out the right settings.  If anyone else has something comparable, advice would be appreciated.

The closer to a wall the louder the output but sometimes at the cost of the bass being too boomy.  I usually recommend adding up the dimensions of the port(s) and using that for a starting point.  Three three inch ports, start nine inches from the wall.

• Like 1