jjptkd

Heritage / HIP Inspired KI-362's?

Here are a few pictures of my build, finally got these done last night. I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet and crossover work still needs to be done as I'm just using my HIE networks. As of right now parts include the k-45 8ohm woofer, A55-g mid driver bolted to a CF-4 horn, the CT-120 tweeters and a rebuilt pair of HIE crossovers. I lowered the output of both horns by 3db while they were still in the HIP cabinets but I did not change any caps. I may end up changing these over to type "B" crossovers but with a 5uf or 6 uf cap for the mid trying to get as near a 500hz crossover point as possible. 

20171229_140333 (768x1024).jpg

20180101_155155 (1024x718).jpg

20180101_165129 (1024x768).jpg

20180101_182315 (1024x816).jpg

2 hours ago, mike stehr said:

Were those originally ported subwoofer (or woofer) cabinets?

I would think so...

Yes but from what I can tell they're identical to the KI-362 cabinets that are a 3-way speaker meant to go on both sides of this dual 15" sub.

profi_musiker_equipment_klipsch_ki_362_bild_1315134566.jpg

So I got a chance to fire these up for a bit today, man do they sound good! The mids are just so much more opened up than with the little k-700 horn in the HIP cabinets. The sound is extremely clear and detailed. At first the bass was not there at all and I was a little shocked / surprised but after a couple of songs they started to thump a bit, forgot the woofers are new and need to break in some.

• Thanks 1

So I've been playing around with these a bit and it seems my Oppo Sonica is partly to blame for my lack of bass. I set up a testing station separate from my main room in my bedroom (the wife was going nuts) and busted out a Sunfire Ultimate Receiver. When I first turned it on the volume was cranked up for some reason and just about blew the windows out of the house! With the Oppo I was able to turn the volume up near max (maxed out on some stuff) on a lot of my music and was incapable of anywhere near that level of output even with a Sunfire 300 behind it? 

Bass is a little light running everything flat on the Receiver but when I activate the "loudness" (really an enhanced bass signal directing sub low pass to the mains) the bass is very strong, almost overwhelming on some material especially at volume, very nice for a bass head like me! 

Part of my "fixes" have been swapping the HIE's with Type "E" crossovers with even lower horn outputs and swapping in a 4ohm Chorus woofer to see if either make a difference. So far swapping woofers with either crossovers does not seem to make a discernable difference, the type "E" crossover just lowered the input sensitivity but bass seems the same even though the horns should be 3db quieter? Adding the Receiver into the mix was by far the largest change and pretty much fixes everything. 

I have a selection of Dayton 1% caps in the mail now (2's, 3's, 4's and 6.2's) will do some experimenting when they get here, think of turning the type "E' into a "B" tap wise but going with a 6.2UF cap instead of the 4. Probably going to replace my 300x2 upstairs with the Receiver and still use the Oppo as an input and volume control. 

• Thanks 1

Ok so have given these quite a bit of break in time now and rebuilt the crossovers with Dayton 1% caps, 2uf and 6.2uf also switched the taps to the Type B setting. These things sound excellent, extremely clean and detailed. Bass is better but certainly "different" than the forte II bass, more of a tighter live sound but enough to give weight to music and can get pretty ridiculous when pushed. I still have some egg crate foam and ESRE SuperQ inductors in the mail and I think I'll be done with these after that. 

When I started this build it was partly because I gave up on finding Chorus speakers near me, now, as luck would have it and these 362's are almost complete I have a Chorus 1 build using the cabinets I just picked up and mostly extra parts on hand and a Chorus II restoration possibly customizing project. Once all three are complete plan to have a "shootout" to see which I prefer and ultimately keep. Customizing of the CH II's will include Tractrix tweeters with titanium diaphragms and dual phase plug k-55v mid drivers, should be interesting. 

20180110_124522 (1024x768).jpg

38 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

and rebuilt the crossovers with Dayton 1% caps, 2uf and 6.2uf

Where did you get the stands the caps sit on?

21 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

Hardware store, 18 pack for 3.79. They had 3/4" and 1" squares in black or white. They're a stick on but have a center hole for a screw for safe measure but the tape is really sticky, probably didn't need the screw.

1 minute ago, jjptkd said:

Hardware store, 18 pack for 3.79. They had 3/4" and 1" squares in black or white. They're a stick on but have a center hole for a screw for safe measure but the tape is really sticky, probably didn't need the screw.

Thanks.

26 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I looked online for quite awhile before finally giving up, went to the local hardware store to see if I could make something work and there they were. 

16 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Might be able to order some, haven't looked:

20180112_134159 (1024x768).jpg

I have to go to Lowe's this morning for some things for other projects.   I'll look while I'm there. 

30 minutes ago, CECAA850 said:

I have to go to Lowe's this morning for some things for other projects.   I'll look while I'm there. 

Turns out if you do an eBay search for "cable tie mount" there are plenty to choose from if Lowes doesn't have any. 

Ok so finally got these all buttoned up, got the ESRE SuperQ inductors installed and the cabinets lined with foam. I'm not sure which had the largest effect but these are sounding very good, very balanced top to bottom and even at extremely low volumes there is impact from the woofer and stays even up until its unbearably loud. 

Tomorrow my K-601's should arrive in the mail and I'll be able to complete my Chorus 1 build and I'm going to put them up against my 362's for comparison. The Chorus 1's have Titanium tweeters, NOS k-52H mid diaphragms, Crites rebuilt Chorus II crossovers, foam lined cabinets and stock k-48 woofers. I haven't added ports to the cabinets, wanted to hear them stock first but plan on adding them later. Can't wait, excited to hear the Chorus 1's again! 

20180115_122940 (1024x768).jpg

20180115_123713 (1024x768).jpg

20180115_130723 (1024x768).jpg