lascalas very little bass

prog guy

Just now, prog guy said:

I thought as much but still see on screws?

everything about this forum NEEDS PICS in order to solve your or anybody else's problems.  You can start with the serial number of the speakers, which tells us when they were made.  FOR A TIME, the woofer access panel was thru the High frequency section....but once the amplifier manufacturer "POWER WAR" began, so many woofers and tweeters were being blown, that it was moved to the bottom of the doghouse instead of the top....because it just made changing them out MUCH easier.

The best advice I can give you on buying speakers which you find will not be to your liking is to READ THE SPECS of the speakers before buying.  If this had been done, you would have found that the bass rolls off below 45 hz.

13 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

everything about this forum NEEDS PICS in order to solve your or anybody else's problems.  You can start with the serial number of the speakers, which tells us when they were made.  FOR A TIME, the woofer access panel was thru the High frequency section....but once the amplifier manufacturer "POWER WAR" began, so many woofers and tweeters were being blown, that it was moved to the bottom of the doghouse instead of the top....because it just made changing them out MUCH easier.

The best advice I can give you on buying speakers which you find will not be to your liking is to READ THE SPECS of the speakers before buying.  If this had been done, you would have found that the bass rolls off below 45 hz.

So which La Scalas are yours? The first pic all dolled up? or the second next to another pair of speakers? I'm no expert but mine are like the second pic although mine have a full front grill cloth. My woofer access is on the bottom. And to tell the truth I'm having a real hard time imagining a top access under the midrange squawker. Could you really squeeze a 15" woofer down into the cabinet  and then secure it? Even with the squawker,tweeter and crossover out of your way? Just curious.

8 minutes ago, babadono said:

So which La Scalas are yours? The first pic all dolled up? or the second next to another pair of speakers? I'm no expert but mine are like the second pic although mine have a full front grill cloth. My woofer access is on the bottom. And to tell the truth I'm having a real hard time imagining a top access under the midrange squawker. Could you really squeeze a 15" woofer down into the cabinet  and then secure it? Even with the squawker,tweeter and crossover out of your way? Just curious.

20171216_134323S.jpg

The bass horn of the LaScala generally starts to roll off around 55-60hz, and by the point it gets to 45hz or lower, it has become pretty weak on the bass end.  It is the design of the bass horn lens.  All you have to do is look at the specs of the speaker to already know this.  If you want more bottom end, then opt for the Klipschorns, instead....but the alternative is to add a subwoofer, preferably a HORN-LOADED subwoofer.

The beauty of the LaScala is that you get about 90% of horn-loaded performance of what the Klipschorn puts out, with no need for proper "K-horn Corners" in the room.

Until all of this electronically synthesized "music" came along, very few people even noticed the lack of extreme bottom-end in the LaScala bass bin.  But people nowadays are used to all kinds of bass-heavy equalization in their "Beats" headphones and such, and think that is how music is SUPPOSED to sound.

Pushing your bass control up past flat on your preamp will do nothing since the bass horn lens itself is the culprit...but doing this will also create distortion and maybe even push your amp into clipping....which is also very hard on your drivers in the speakers.  If you want earthquake-like bass, then get a subwoofer to go with them.  Keep in mind that the LaScala is meant to have no more than 105 watts RMS thrown into it, since that is its power rating...and the same applies to all the ORIGINAL Heritage speakers designs.  

I hear ya, and agree 100%. LaScalas reproduce real music and not the electronic noise that they are passing off as music these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

I hear ya, and agree 100%. LaScalas reproduce real music and not the electronic noise that they are passing off as music these days.

I listionto Genesis old stuff from the 70's and early 80's they have very deep earth shaking bass lines the lascalas just cant reproduse this

3 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

My LaScalas are 50hz to 17000hz.

Have you ever measured one? I have owned lots of La Scalas over the years, with different flavors of Klipsch woofers and NONE ever measured flat to 50 Hz. They are about 10 db down at that frequency. They are improved with DJK's port mod but still not flat to 50. Measurements don't lie.

1 hour ago, HDBRbuilder said:

Sorry but the bass rolls off in the 90-100 Hz range. The "near 46 Hz_ you speak of is a secondary resonance peak in the dog house.  A Khorns starts to roll off at 60 Hz.

51 minutes ago, babadono said:

I had one of those from the sixties. The screws are on top and you had to remove the midhorn and Xover to get to the woofer.

I just listened to foxtrot and Michael Rutherford's bass foot pedals in the last half of Suppers Ready is outstandingly deep and readily apparent... it shakes the house if I want it to.

You must have a setup issue.

1 minute ago, Schu said:

I just listened to foxtrot and Michael Rutherford's bass foot pedals in the last half of Suppers Ready is outstandingly deep and readily apparent... it shakes the house if I want it to.

You must have a setup issue.

ok I will look into it more

5 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

Bass response was never an issue until the advent of subwoofers. 50hz is lower than you think. There is very little “audible” music information below 50hz unless you are listening to pipe organ music. Paul Klipsch’s aim was to produce accurate undistorted efficient bass. I have a subwoofer but was extremely happy with mine for years. You don’t have to have a sub but a sub is icing on the cake

Open E on a Double Bass and bass guitar is 41 Hz.  It is quite common to play an open E.