lascalas very little bass

prog guy

Prog guy, thanks for the pictures. 

Klipsch speakers are constantly in a state of flux. LaScalas have been around longer than I have. That’s a lot of flux! 

I honestly believe a lot of your disappointment stems from the AL crossover in your ‘87’s.

Bob Crites even makes reference to it on his website.

My ‘92 Lascalas have the AL-3 crossover. I use a NAD 372 integrated amp and the tone controls offer +/- 5db of bass at 50hz.

At +2.5 the bass comes alive. At +5 db (full CW) it sounds un-natural, muddy. Like my former CerwinVegas - lol.

But seriously, the bass will not be LOW with LaScalas. 

It SHOULD punch you right in the chest though!

I think a 1976 Klipsch would have a “letter” designation for the year,  “R” or “S” in the code. And, get this, it would be hand-written on the label.

Yours have the “newer” K-55-M mid driver, but still have the metal K-400 horn. I think by ‘89 the resin K-401 horn started to be used on the K-55-M. And somewhere in there the AL-2 crossover came out.

There is a list on this forum somewhere with all of the progressions over the model years.

Like I said, there have been ALOT.

You would need dual woofers to punch like LaScalas. BIG ones at that.

LaScalas also image like nothing you have ever heard before.

The thing about KLIPSCH is that there is a world of sound you have never heard before distracting you from the bass...

In another week or so you will have difficulty listening to the Vegas without noticing the distortion and lack of midrange detail.

You could try stacking your D-9s on top of the LaScalas for the best of both worlds... your welcome!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, prog guy said:

Why would the Klipsch company build such a beautiful speaker but do not give it a good low end?  Everyone I talk to tell me you have to add a set of subwoofers a set of lascalas to get them to sound well. WOW are you kidding me?

No, not really.  The La Scala bass horn is too short to provide deep bass (below 50 hz).  It is the price of a 2' x 2' x 2' bass horn.  La Scalas don't lack BASS, they produce plenty, but not below about 60 Hz. 

You really need to replace that crap sounding Type AL crossover. 

Lascala curve.jpg

Mid range is 3/4 of what we hear.  The LaScala does everything extremely well except pound out the lower end.  You can find a set of Cornwalls that will slam you with bass, but will not have the magic of the big mid horns that the La Scalas have and is a vented design that everyone from any maker has tried to refine since the beginning.  You also have to realize how big and/or long of a horn it takes to reach the lower area, thus to add to the lows you will affect some critical frequency output elsewhere on the chart.

Everything is a sacrifice and I would rather need a sub that will fill and blend db wise with the LaScala all the way down to 25 cycles AND be musical........ as opposed to finding some lifeless, ported rehash that is actually -10db @35 hz that is filled with distortion @60hz.  You either have to have horns or you don't.

I was in your shoes back in the early 90's, and I even got rid of a set of Belles to try and get that low bass loss back with a pair of KLF 30's.  I saw them as a Crossroad of my previous Cornwall II's and the Belles.  I got a little more bass, but lost everything that I took for granted which was the most important part of the Belles.  

If you're after the lows, a decent sub and two LaScalas will rival almost anything out there.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JohnA said:

Open E on a Double Bass and bass guitar is 41 Hz.  It is quite common to play an open E. 

Yes, but!  It's also rare with most instruments for that fundamental frequency to be very strong, frequently the 2nd harmonic 82Hz is predominate.  If you really want to freak out, put an analyzer on single low piano notes coming from an upright, it's more like 3rd harmonic that's predominate, yet you still get the sense of the proper note.  

11 hours ago, JohnA said:

No, not really.  The La Scala bass horn is too short to provide deep bass (below 50 hz).  It is the price of a 2' x 2' x 2' bass horn.  La Scalas don't lack BASS, they produce plenty, but not below about 60 Hz. 

You really need to replace that crap sounding Type AL crossover. 

Lascala curve.jpg

Please not the sudden drop at 100 Hz., which is the horn cutoff frequency for that short 2 1/2 foot horn.

14 hours ago, geoff. said:

I think a 1976 Klipsch would have a “letter” designation for the year,  “R” or “S” in the code. And, get this, it would be hand-written on the label.

Yours have the “newer” K-55-M mid driver, but still have the metal K-400 horn. I think by ‘89 the resin K-401 horn started to be used on the K-55-M. And somewhere in there the AL-2 crossover came out.

There is a list on this forum somewhere with all of the progressions over the model years.

Like I said, there have been ALOT.

I tried to click on the link all I get is 

5 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Are you sure you don't have polarity reversed in your wiring?

20171216_134323S.jpg

15 hours ago, geoff. said:

You would need dual woofers to punch like LaScalas. BIG ones at that.

LaScalas also image like nothing you have ever heard before.

The thing about KLIPSCH is that there is a world of sound you have never heard before distracting you from the bass...

In another week or so you will have difficulty listening to the Vegas without noticing the distortion and lack of midrange detail.

You could try stacking your D-9s on top of the LaScalas for the best of both worlds... your welcome!

AC5BDF3B-CE35-4D6C-A65E-5A451F11F385.jpeg

17 hours ago, Schu said:

I just listened to foxtrot and Michael Rutherford's bass foot pedals in the last half of Suppers Ready is outstandingly deep and readily apparent... it shakes the house if I want it to.

You must have a setup issue.

@Schu you have LS II's correct?