lascalas very little bass

prog guy

44 minutes ago, prog guy said:

ok so the AA's are better for my speakers then the AA-3's?

Did you mean to say AL-3's?

3 minutes ago, prog guy said:

I'm thinking of getting a small low power amp just to drive the lascalas so not to hurt them I wish I could find a nice tube amp for them.  What are your inputs on a small amp? I'm runingtwo Carver M1-ot's and they will kill the vintage speakers!

Good question.

You need to have them sound like they are supposed to sound before you add subs. They shouldn't sound harsh or distorted. As much as I hate the term, some amps just aren't a match for  certain speakers, there is no synergy. Get good crossovers in them first. Still, make sure all the connections are good.

Bruce

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Marvel said:

You need to have them sound like they are supposed to sound before you add subs. They shouldn't sound harsh or distorted. As much as I hate the term, some amps just aren't a match for  certain speakers, there is no synergy. Get good crossovers in them first. Still, make sure all the connections are good.

Bruce

I will do that ASAP they sounded good until I started pushing them that's when the bass sounded muddy

Carver1.jpg

A simplified answer to AA vs. AL-3 crossover is:

AA for low powered/tube amps.

AL-3 for listening at louder volumes.

I have AL-3’s in my ‘92 LaScalas and am AMAZED at how quietly I can listen to them and still “get into the music”.

There are MANY other options available too... 

The real bonus here is you SHOULD replace the capacitors in 30 year old electronics anyway, so it would be an eventuality to some degree.

Even if you don’t wind up using your LaScalas in your “warehouse”, new crossovers will sound sweet inside.

You are likely on the verge of going pro-audio in your garage.

Looks like you have the fever pretty good.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geoff. said:

A simplified answer to AA vs. AL-3 crossover is:

AA for low powered/tube amps.

AL-3 for listening at louder volumes.

I have AL-3’s in my ‘92 LaScalas and am AMAZED at how quietly I can listen to them and still “get into the music”.

There are MANY other options available too... 

The real bonus here is you SHOULD replace the capacitors in 30 year old electronics anyway, so it would be an eventuality to some degree.

Even if you don’t wind up using your LaScalas in your “warehouse”, new crossovers will sound sweet inside.

You are likely on the verge of going pro-audio in your garage.

Looks like you have the fever pretty good.

Yes I have a big room to fill so I guess the al-3 is my best option unless I can find a nice tube amp to just drive the klipsh

• Like 1

17 hours ago, geoff. said:

AA for low powered/tube amps

How close you sit is a big factor. I know people with big rooms that only sit 10-12 feet off of the loudspeakers -- and the AA works really well for them.

My LaScalas are in a finished basement, and while not a massive room, is a pretty decent size. They are 10 feet apart and I sit 10 feet back. I run the Type A with 35 watts of ultralinear -- and do everything from the Moody Blues to Metallica.

On 1/6/2018 at 1:22 PM, Deang said:

Back to bass.

I don't have the energy to read the last 7 pages ...

With LaScalas, you have to have some reinforcement from corners or walls, and even then, if you're doing movies -- they'll fall short.

You can correct the balance with some network changes, but that only gets you halfway there. Any serious bass will require a good subwoofer or two ...

:)

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:36 PM, Tony Whitlow said:

Bass response was never an issue until the advent of subwoofers. 50hz is lower than you think. There is very little “audible” music information below 50hz unless you are listening to pipe organ music. Paul Klipsch’s aim was to produce accurate undistorted efficient bass. I have a subwoofer but was extremely happy with mine for years. You don’t have to have a sub but a sub is icing on the cake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fundamental frequency of low E on a bass guitar is 40hz.  For the contra bassoon and harp it is 29hz.  Even when full range speakers are rated at 30hz, there is something about a good subwoofer (mine is a ENTEC SW-1) that adds impact and air that most full range speakers just cannot reproduce.  I have Klipsch Forte I with Crites crossovers and tweeter diaphragms. They have great bass; but even they need my ENTEC SW-1 as far as I am concerned.   

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, kink56 said:

The fundamental frequency ...; but even they need my ENTEC SW-1 as far as I am concerned.   

As much as I don't want to admit it, I have to agree. My bookshelf speakers went down to 50Hz. When I replaced them with Heresy II's and their 50Hz lower limit, I ignored the numbers and naively thought they'd play lower. Yeah well; they SEEMED to if you played them loud.

However, when I connected a measly little passive kg sw subwoofer with its 38Hz low end to the Heresy's, it was a whole different ballgame. I had no idea what I was missing until then and it wasn't some artificial, equalized bass. The LaScala's will no doubt have some bass-like qualities, crack the sheetrock at high levels, and will work well with music that doesn't venture below its cutoff, but once you compare them to something that covers more of the low end of the spectrum, you might change your way of thinking.